20,000 sign petition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not just educate people to be more responsible towards their own finances rather than cancel everything?
Agreed.
Society should be doing more to combat addiction,
ANY addiction, whether it's gambling, alcohol, drugs, tobacco, spending, . . . whatever.
Addiction (of anything) is a horrendous affliction, but to ban advertising something on the grounds that it may be addictive is just futile.
When did you last see cocaine advertised BTW?

Why not just educate people to be more responsible towards their own finances rather than cancel everything?
Nobody is suggesting canceling gambling and drinking, I enjoy both from time to time. I'm just saying that plastering ads for those activities all over an organisation idolised by young kids might be a bad idea. You probably had great parents who gave you a balanced view of how to manage your money and when it is appropriate to down a few bevvies, but plenty of other kids don't.

Before my ankles turned to wet newspaper and I used to play five a side, I was staggered at how much gambling the younger lads did on their phones, betting before we played, in the changing rooms, in the pub afterwards. It's so much easier to get sucked in now, when you've got a bookies in the palm of your hand. Normalising all of that by bombarding kids with ads at the game, on the telly and on the front of shirts seems like a terrible idea to me. Religion is no longer the opium of the masses, accas are.

Nobody is suggesting canceling gambling and drinking, I enjoy both from time to time. I'm just saying that plastering ads for those activities all over an organisation idolised by young kids might be a bad idea. You probably had great parents who gave you a balanced view of how to manage your money and when it is appropriate to down a few bevvies, but plenty of other kids don't.

Before my ankles turned to wet newspaper and I used to play five a side, I was staggered at how much gambling the younger lads did on their phones, betting before we played, in the changing rooms, in the pub afterwards. It's so much easier to get sucked in now, when you've got a bookies in the palm of your hand. Normalising all of that by bombarding kids with ads at the game, on the telly and on the front of shirts seems like a terrible idea to me. Religion is no longer the opium of the masses, accas are.

I love my pint, but from working with an absolute gambling addict over 30 years ago, I hate gambling.

I don't even do the Lotto. He lost his home and a number of cars through repossession.

I really struggled to keep him in his job, as arrest warrants for non payment of motoring fines started arriving at the workplace.

I know lads who enjoy a flutter, and seem to keep this under control, but I am uncomfortable with having gambling outfits on our shirts.

Shamrock Rovers also are sponsored by a gambling outfit and this also annoys me.

Agreed.
Society should be doing more to combat addiction,
ANY addiction, whether it's gambling, alcohol, drugs, tobacco, spending, . . . whatever.
Addiction (of anything) is a horrendous affliction, but to ban advertising something on the grounds that it may be addictive is just futile.
When did you last see cocaine advertised BTW?
I live in Walton mate, we get current price flyers through the door

• Haha
Reactions: kev
I still don't see what the outcry is here when half the advertising associated with the prem consists of gambling firms. Maybe people are concerned with that too and I'm missing it, but is a shirt sponsor that different than having UNIbet ads plastered all over Goodison while on TV week after week? Genuinely every football-centric website I go to is wall to wall betting firm ads, every stadium has most of their signage devoted to them, etc., so people getting worked up about shirt sponsors seems to be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall influence of gambling sponsors.

And to be clear, I'm not particularly in favor of a gambling shirt sponsor, I'm just still surprised at the reaction considering gambling ads are completely inescapable in the football world and I don't see any inclination to change that.

I still don't see what the outcry is here when half the advertising associated with the prem consists of gambling firms. Maybe people are concerned with that too and I'm missing it, but is a shirt sponsor that different than having UNIbet ads plastered all over Goodison while on TV week after week? Genuinely every football-centric website I go to is wall to wall betting firm ads, every stadium has most of their signage devoted to them, etc., so people getting worked up about shirt sponsors seems to be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall influence of gambling sponsors.

And to be clear, I'm not particularly in favor of a gambling shirt sponsor, I'm just still surprised at the reaction considering gambling ads are completely inescapable in the football world and I don't see any inclination to change that.
Pundits are making plenty of extra revenue advertising betting companies too. Is it to do with rival clubs not having shirt sponsors?

I cant believe we have a gambling company as our sponsor, I have never felt more like going and blowing my life savings at Stake.com to show my support

Status
Not open for further replies.