Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billy Gilmour doesn’t upgrade our midfield IMO. Allan and Doucoure both better.

Would it kill our scouting team to look further afield than players who’ve played in England ffs
Not only have we got a lazy arse scouting system but we have lazy fans who just look to players Lampard has had contact with and work back from there.

We are spending the richy money very careful but it will be more difficult to buy in the late of windows.
For me, if we are mainly play for 3 CBs, I would invest much more on CM who can give long-pass with good positioning.

Billy Gilmour doesn’t upgrade our midfield IMO. Allan and Doucoure both better.

Would it kill our scouting team to look further afield than players who’ve played in England ffs
I'm 50/50 on Gilmour but Doucoure isn't better than anyone, I still can't get my head around the fact we actually signed him. I just tell myself it's a classic "Everton moment" and it was Capoue we actually wanted but someone forgot their glasses that day and came back with Doucoure.

….more importantly with this player, I think he’d play better with better players. It’s about blend, players on the same wavelength. Osman, Arteta, Pienaar, Baines axis worked well enough, players on the same wavelength.

As I said mate, it's about chemistry I different areas of the pitch, Bsines poorest seasons for us came when Pienaar wasn't here, did that mean Baines wasn't that good without him, kinda does, same for Peanuts without Baines.

The absolutely elite level players can adjust easier - say Cole who had various wingers ahead at both Arsenal, Chelsea and England and his game was always first rate.

It's why Tarkowski for me is a great signing, I think he can form a very good partnership with any of the CBs we have, I also think a great organizer helps others form them too.

Look at this team last season and not a single area did we have any 'partnership' formed

I'm 50/50 on Gilmour but Doucoure isn't better than anyone, I still can't get my head around the fact we actually signed him. I just tell myself it's a classic "Everton moment" and it was Capoue we actually wanted but someone forgot their glasses that day and came back with Doucoure.

Mate Doucoure is clear of Gilmour. 50 PL appearances with 0 goals and 2 assists for Gilmour so far.

There are much better options available in Europe, we just appear to be unwilling to take the chance on them.

You said games and success were built around a match winner, but the sum of tidy ball players implementing a philosophey of tiki-taka has proven to be successful, the start of that always happens with one player. Lampard etc has spoken of defending through a pocession based model and creating triangles.

I’m not disagreeing with you in terms
of match winners - but let’s just say that is a broad decription, someone like Modric (tidy ball player) is a match winner to my mind and done it away from club riches in a Croatia team that wasn’t full of them.

Many ways to play the game and it doesn’t have to be dogmatic or polarised I’m terms of cants and wonts.
I didn’t say that though?! I said clubs don’t build teams around players who aren’t match winners, that’s a very different thing to saying success is built on match winners. I was replying specifically to someone saying that Gilmour is a player you need to build your whole team around. Tiki taka football is the exact opposite of building your entire team around one player so I’m not sure why you’re referencing that, and while modric is a brilliant player I don’t think Real Madrid have ever built their team with a view to accommodating him.

Mate Doucoure is clear of Gilmour. 50 PL appearances with 0 goals and 2 assists for Gilmour so far.

There are much better options available in Europe, we just appear to be unwilling to take the chance on them.
Nah, Gilmour is a young lad with ability and who is already an international and if he sticks to it could end up having a decent career at a decent level. Doucoure is nearly 30 and never done anything of note and his best qualities are that he runs around a lot. Forgive me mate but the last time i checked it was called football not runball. If we sold him tomorrow he would end up in lower league France/Belgium no other PL team would take him.

He sounds like a real talent the way you describe him...I wonder why Chelsea dont want him, Norwich were unaffected by his genius, and why there isn't a long line of suitors for him?
The Chelsea lads on here, would say he needs to be a central focal point in terms of playmaking through the centre, Tuchal doesn't play that way, hes more functional in the engine room, with an athletic and defensive midfield for solidity and threat coming from his wingbacks, and midfielder covering, that's not Gilmour's game. But the lads would say he's very talented. Im not sure Chelsea dont wont him, he just doesn't fit at the moment, they extended his contract by year quite recently.

Ive heard conflicting reports on his time at Norwich, really the only outlet they had was Puki who was well flagged, the wide players came very deep and Puki often well marked and as the only outlet, in that sense you are holding the ball until the wide players join the play, as you say yourself he played the ball out side their a lot, but probably because it was the best thing to doo to hold possession. Im actually happy he got that experience at Norwich, not every year can be a CL winning year and he needed to experience life under the kosh and adversity. Dean Smith, is a bit of kick and rush merchant as well and the managerial change didn't help. If you look at it, other highly ratted young creative players struggled there last season like Dowel and Cantwell.

Im not sure there isnt a long line of suitors for them the above links says there are multiple PL teams interested in him taking him this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.