Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
You said games and success were built around a match winner, but the sum of tidy ball players implementing a philosophey of tiki-taka has proven to be successful, the start of that always happens with one player. Lampard etc has spoken of defending through a pocession based model and creating triangles.

I’m not disagreeing with you in terms of match winners - but let’s just say that is a broad description, someone like Modric (tidy ball player) is a match winner to my mind and done it away from club riches in a Croatia team that wasn’t full of them.

Many ways to play the game and it doesn’t have to be dogmatic or polarised I’m terms of cants and wonts.

Alan Ball, arguably our best ever player - twoof his best attributes where tidy ball player and low center of gravity.

Yeah this lad won't ever be that good, but the idea cos yes he's small, yup not fast, again I'll say was Ball either of those?

Can imagine back then people questioning building a side around a 20yo from Blackpool (yup way more proven but still the question would us e been asked)

Agree to differ so mate! ;)
As I just said elsewhere, it possibly just depends how you define ‘building your team around’. To me, being an important building block in a team and having the team built around you are very different things. Rodri for example plays a very important role for city, but I would never say the team was built around him. Ronaldo and messi are players who have had teams built around them, where the entire point of the system is to get the most out of them. Lukaku needs that, I think grealish does too. Charlie Adam had it at Blackpool (just to highlight that I’m not just talking about the elite). All of those were more than just an important cog in the wheel, and that’s what I took the poster to be talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.