Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they want to stay up they needed to try something like this, there is no way the team from last season would avoid relegation. Lingard, who is on a reported 130k a week (not 200k), is costing them about 5m to 6m for one season. That is an absolute bargain for a proven PL goal scorer. I think it will prove to be the signing of the summer. They have only 1 season of wages and no commitment for the following x number of years. Avoiding relegation is all about beating the sides in or about the bottom 6 and u can happily lose to the top half clubs week in week out. Lingard has the ability to score against these teams and could be the key signing to their survival. Lingard at Forest could be like Eriksen at Brentford. As for Ramsey, I think he would be a very bad buy for them.
With Lingard there will also be a hefty signing on, a reasonable estimate is they are paying 10 million all in for the season. That’s probably not the biggest problem. They’ve spent over 70 million (wages and Lingard not included) and seem to just be getting started. Fine if you are buying three or four quality players but spread across a whole new team you risk spending a lot of money while still not really getting the quality you need, not to mention the unfamiliarity factor. I quite enjoy the fact they’re taking the risk though.

With Lingard there will also be a hefty signing on, a reasonable estimate is they are paying 10 million all in for the season. That’s probably not the biggest problem. They’ve spent over 70 million (wages and Lingard not included) and seem to just be getting started. Fine if you are buying three or four quality players but spread across a whole new team you risk spending a lot of money while still not really getting the quality you need, not to mention the unfamiliarity factor. I quite enjoy the fact they’re taking the risk though.

The issue with Lingard is two fold.

If your the captain of Forest or you out perform him you will be knocking on the door asking for a pay rise.
Very difficult to fund with little historical TV revenue.

What is Lingards motivation? He's proven he's not in it for football as he would have gone to West Ham.
Look at the guys who come here and pick up a pay check.

I am not disputing what u are saying, it is a risk. But the alternative was, at least imo, a 100% guarantee of relegation. They have given themselves a chance and I assume they have been smart enough to have relegation pay cuts etc and they should have a decent team to get an immediate promotion. Yes, they are spending a bag load of cash but they are going to earn that bag load of cash next season and they have guaranteed 2 yrs of parachute payments if they go down. I like the ambition of going for it and not trying to pocket the PL money as Norwich do every second year

I want him to, because Forest started the window looking like they were doing sensible business and might be the token surprise promoted package of the season. If they goosed that by signing Lingard and Ramsey on stupid money I’d feel better about them tanking and finishing below us.
Lingard isn't that much of a silly signing really. Yes it's huge wages but it works out about £10m,as the £200k was accounting for his sign-on fee and he's only on a year contract. If he replicates his West Ham form, or close to it, across the season then he's probably going to ensure their safety.

The issue with Lingard is two fold.

If your the captain of Forest or you out perform him you will be knocking on the door asking for a pay rise.
Very difficult to fund with little historical TV revenue.

What is Lingards motivation? He's proven he's not in it for football as he would have gone to West Ham.
Look at the guys who come here and pick up a pay check.
If people want pay rises and knock on the door they will be told that they will get the payrise if they avoid relegation. New players are not going to be looking for payrises in the first season. Yesh, there is a risk with his ambition but he proved his worth at West Ham and with Qatar in Nov/Dec there is a lot of motivation there. Also, Lingard will be a free agent again next May. He will want to maximise that opportunity to get the best deal he can, if he is a disaster at Forest it will really impact his next contract. Lots of motivation for him to have a good season

If people want pay rises and knock on the door they will be told that they will get the payrise if they avoid relegation. New players are not going to be looking for payrises in the first season. Yesh, there is a risk with his ambition but he proved his worth at West Ham and with Qatar in Nov/Dec there is a lot of motivation there. Also, Lingard will be a free agent again next May. He will want to maximise that opportunity to get the best deal he can, if he is a disaster at Forest it will really impact his next contract. Lots of motivation for him to have a good season

I’m telling you now, Lingard won’t score a single goal this season - apart from the obligatory 3 against Everton.

I’m telling you now, Lingard won’t score a single goal this season - apart from the obligatory 3 against Everton.
You can think that all you like. I think you are completely wrong and Lingard will score quite a few and will also get some assists. Getting a player of his quality on a 1 year deal is a real coup for Forest and I suspect a fair few of clubs in the PL feel like they missed an opportunity.

OK. So let me play devil's advocate.

Why should Brennan Johnson have to wait for the type of money that Lingard now commands. If he scores five before January then his agent should be knocking on the door. Other clubs will circle.

In relation to Lingard, he's not played a minute of football in nearly six months and has walked into a 100k pw contract. He's turned down West Ham and a long term deal for that.
He won't give a hoot about next season or Forest as he knows some other mug will pay him what he wants at the end of the year.

Clubs that don't wrap up their recruitment by June are paying very high prices when they inquire about players. Season about to begin, selling clubs dont want changes. I'm not happy with this summers recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.