Confirmed Signing Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone who does both costs a lot of money and you do know we are rolling in it. I know one thing we need a goalscorer soon, that was another of our targets gone.
We're talking about someone who can score 5 to 8 goals and pass to teammates at an average level. That's not exactly asking to find Mbappe.

We did agree terms with him so that would make it pretty serious, couldn't agree the fee with Burnley that's how West ham stepped in.
I don’t think it’s that uncommon to agree terms with players first these days. Fact is, we didn’t deem him worthy of spending that much cash on up front.

With Onana we’ve matched a €40m bid; granted I don’t know the proposed structure of the payments but I’d assume the initial chunk will be the same amount or more that we’d have spent on Cornet so that should speak volumes about the perceived quality of both.

If Onana can bring energy to the midfield on a consistent basis, I’d argue that’s more of a boost to our team than a spotty wide forward.

Hmm don't we need a striker first
Well, yes. But we aren't going to be bidding €35m up front.

We asked about Onana at the start of July - Bobble mentioned it at the time and there's been murmurings since, so this move has clearly been in the works.

Lille are a club that are usually very happy to accept deals in a structure that would suit us right now. For example, they sold Pepe to Arsenal for a very small initial payment, and if this is similar it suits us, he seems to be the no.1 midfield target for a proper box-to-box player.

That being said, we do need a forward as a matter of urgency. But we're still in the same position whether we sign Onana or not - we need a team to be willing to accept our payment structure, or a loan.

We asked about Onana at the start of July - Bobble mentioned it at the time and there's been murmurings since, so this move has clearly been in the works.

Lille are a club that are usually very happy to accept deals in a structure that would suit us right now. For example, they sold Pepe to Arsenal for a very small initial payment, and if this is similar it suits us, he seems to be the no.1 midfield target for a proper box-to-box player.

That being said, we do need a forward as a matter of urgency. But we're still in the same position whether we sign Onana or not - we need a team to be willing to accept our payment structure, or a loan.

Cheers Greg ?

We've got Alli, Dele Alli

I don’t think it’s that uncommon to agree terms with players first these days. Fact is, we didn’t deem him worthy of spending that much cash on up front.

With Onana we’ve matched a €40m bid; granted I don’t know the proposed structure of the payments but I’d assume the initial chunk will be the same amount or more that we’d have spent on Cornet so that should speak volumes about the perceived quality of both.

If Onana can bring energy to the midfield on a consistent basis, I’d argue that’s more of a boost to our team than a spotty wide forward.

Agree totally but and it's a big but we need a goalscorer, hopefully Chelsea sign a striker and Broja is loaned or we bite the bullet for Dennis at Watford.

Status
Not open for further replies.