Confirmed Signing Amadou Onana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really agree with that.

The first season was great because of Barry, McCarthy, Lukaku and Ged all who were brought in by Martinez along with Stones who he brought into the first team, Barkley got a proper run in the side too. That's six major changes in that side.

It all fell apart when McCarthy got injured. He was tremendous that first season and integral to how we played. Losing him and putting the pressure on an ageing Barry ended up putting more pressure on the defence and we struggled then.
Those players obviously improved us but they were added to a team that had Coleman, Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Mirallas already. That core defensive unit was there.

It was widely said that Martinez didnt practice set pieces. So take that constant drilling away and after his first season, if i remember correctly, we became less effective and scoring from corners and less effective at defending them.

Roberto brought in great players but he also brought in others that he rated highly but were very poor.

Those players obviously improved us but they were added to a team that had Coleman, Baines, Jagielka, Distin, Mirallas already. That core defensive unit was there.

It was widely said that Martinez didnt practice set pieces. So take that constant drilling away and after his first season, if i remember correctly, we became less effective and scoring from corners and less effective at defending them.

Roberto brought in great players but he also brought in others that he rated highly but were very poor.
It amazes me that people believe the set pieces thing. There is no way on earth that he never practiced set pieces. He may not have held them in very high importance but he would practice them.

Distin was binned off after a few months. Coleman and Baines were not known for the defensive work as much as going forward and McCarthy and Barry being there allowed them to bomb on.

There were some bad signings of course, every manager has them. Kone gets unfairly thrown in that group, he got a horrific injury in his debut.

His biggest mistake was not binning off Howard when he was basically conceding from every shot on target.

He was rightly sacked by the way, once the fans turn you are doomed. Shame though, could have been great.

Happens all the time with players moving from France

It amazes me that people believe the set pieces thing. There is no way on earth that he never practiced set pieces. He may not have held them in very high importance but he would practice them.

Distin was binned off after a few months. Coleman and Baines were not known for the defensive work as much as going forward and McCarthy and Barry being there allowed them to bomb on.

There were some bad signings of course, every manager has them. Kone gets unfairly thrown in that group, he got a horrific injury in his debut.

His biggest mistake was not binning off Howard when he was basically conceding from every shot on target.

He was rightly sacked by the way, once the fans turn you are doomed. Shame though, could have been great.
I think there was a lot of talk about the set pieces leading up to his sacking. I can't remeber if any players have said anything since he left though. I'll have a look around to refresh my own memory.

Yeah i liked Roberto. I think he had potential. But he didn't alter his approach when it wasn't working and needes to be a bit more pragmatic. I haven't watched much of Belgium to see if he has changed his ways at all. But always hope he does well.

Found that. From Osmans autobiography
Screenshot_20220808_125423.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220808_125203.jpg
    Screenshot_20220808_125203.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 102

Osman could be talking nonsense of course!

I can't see how a professional coach and manager can get that far in the game thinking a team would face 3 set pieces a game. It just doesn't add up to me.

We seemed to do neither last season...
I'm guessing there's truth but exaggeration there, maybe one session per week they didn't do work on it, maybe in more than one, but no chance we NEVER practiced set pieces ever

Osman could be talking nonsense of course!

I can't see how a professional coach and manager can get that far in the game thinking a team would face 3 set pieces a game. It just doesn't add up to me.

We seemed to do neither last season...
I seem to remember Martinez speaking to the press before he came us during which he stated he didn’t waste time practising free kicks or any dead ball situations because he felt it was unnecessary.
His big thing was accumulating as many passes as possible during periods of possession.

I seem to remember Martinez speaking to the press before he came us during which he stated he didn’t waste time practising free kicks or any dead ball situations because he felt it was unnecessary.
His big thing was accumulating as many passes as possible during periods of possession.
Between centre-backs and the goalie...

Status
Not open for further replies.