Match Thread Aston Villa vs Everton. Saturday 14th August 12:30 KO

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im indifferent to Davies to be honest, wouldn’t be upset if he went, especially if we got some cash, but equally I’m happy if he stays as a squad player if he can do a job like he did today.
Dont think we would get much cash for him but if low wage then use him as LAST RESORT

Richarlison or DCL would have got onto the Rondon chance and would have stretched their front line far more than our initial front line did.

There’s also the corners aspect. I’m not saying we would have won, but I’d have felt it far more likely.
I don't know for certain if they would but obviously they're better players than what we have.

I just think we look horrendous creatively because the 'creative' players we have are, frankly, crap.

If we continue with 2 wing backs then Gordon, Gray and McNeil are wasted. We’re basically forcing 3 natural wide players into narrow avenues in the middle of the park with no option in front to play it to. The flip side of that is the back 3 looked quite good and probably kept it at 1-0 for time in the 2nd half.

One of the above should have been off way earlier for Onana and moved Iwobi further forward, who was the only one trying to get on the ball and move it up the pitch.

Feel sorry for Onana on the 2nd goal, but at the time it looked like he didn’t have a yellow shirt within 20 yards of him. He did very well for our goal though.

A forward gets us something from that game. We need one in before next week. If we haven’t, then serious questions need to be asked why!

Things we learned from this one

1. Myko can't play LWB - he gives you virtually nothing going forward
2. Defence well organised
3. Wing backs need to play much higher up the pitch - when we did in the 2nd half we looked a lot better
4. You can't play 2 in CM - yet again we get overrun there
5. Gordon tried his heart out but will never be a lone central striker
6. Iwobi is currently our best player - bloody hell ! - his transformation has been remarkable
7. Frank needs to be bolder in his selection. If he is wedded to 3 at the back the wing backs need a far higher starting position , 3 in CM and 2 up top.
8. Onana could be a steal.

I really like Mc Neil but shocked how poor he's been in the 2 games - he has to play left hand side - I'd play him LWB

We all know we need a centre forward but are now at desperation level. We won't win games without a decent CF it's as simple as that.

Pickford
Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko
Patterson McNeil
Gana ( please ) Onana Iwobi
Gordon and DCL /new CF

Wins you more than we lose.
Agree with all that.

Things we learned from this one

1. Myko can't play LWB - he gives you virtually nothing going forward
2. Defence well organised
3. Wing backs need to play much higher up the pitch - when we did in the 2nd half we looked a lot better
4. You can't play 2 in CM - yet again we get overrun there
5. Gordon tried his heart out but will never be a lone central striker
6. Iwobi is currently our best player - bloody hell ! - his transformation has been remarkable
7. Frank needs to be bolder in his selection. If he is wedded to 3 at the back the wing backs need a far higher starting position , 3 in CM and 2 up top.
8. Onana could be a steal.

I really like Mc Neil but shocked how poor he's been in the 2 games - he has to play left hand side - I'd play him LWB

We all know we need a centre forward but are now at desperation level. We won't win games without a decent CF it's as simple as that.

Pickford
Coady Tarkowski Mykolenko
Patterson McNeil
Gana ( please ) Onana Iwobi
Gordon and DCL /new CF

Wins you more than we lose.
Agree about the two in midfield, we're going to have to play 5-3-2 or 3-5-2, however you want to say it because 2 in the middle of the park isn't working. Still.

Dont think we would get much cash for him but if low wage then use him as LAST RESORT
He must have a value of £10-15m Or am I dreaming?

I’m sure any further signings we make will push him even further down the pecking order but I still think he’s a decent squad player. Did a good job in my opinion today.

There’s a complete lack of creativity in this squad and bringing Gana back will do nothing to improve that. Even if we had a decent striker we’re not going to be creating loads of chances for him. Villa weren’t that much better but they do have some creative players. Never mind not getting a Richarlison replacement, we haven’t even adequately replaced Sigurdsson or Rodriquez.

Status
Not open for further replies.