2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not the biggest fan of Gordon full stop, think he lacks the cutting edge when it matters.

Works hard, but needs time to develop and I think there’s too much pressure building on him.

That said, he’s been played out position twice now, which magnifies mistakes more. He’s not a central player, he’s not a false nine. Play him where he’s meant to play, and you’ll get better performances.

Goes down way too easy. I’m not sure if he has what we need in all honesty which hurts because I so want him to be that player, our star man.

I am not the biggest fan of Gordon full stop, think he lacks the cutting edge when it matters.

Works hard, but needs time to develop and I think there’s too much pressure building on him.

That said, he’s been played out position twice now, which magnifies mistakes more. He’s not a central player, he’s not a false nine. Play him where he’s meant to play, and you’ll get better performances.

Get what you're saying mate but the top players can adjust to similiar position's on the pitch.

Look at likes of Richy, Mane, Salah, Son - can play wide or central if needed and at least cause problems.

Gordon for me is a decent squad player but nothing more.

He's certainly better in the wide areas but the fanbase have hyped him up way too soon.

Get what you're saying mate but the top players can adjust to similiar position's on the pitch.

Look at likes of Richy, Mane, Salah, Son - can play wide or central if needed and at least cause problems.

He's certainly better in the wide areas but the fanbase have hyped him up way too soon.

They are all a lot older and were not ripping it up by any means at 21. Unfair throwing that one at him.

They are all a lot older and were not ripping it up by any means at 21. Unfair throwing that one at him.

I appreciate he's only young but I still dont see that type of player in him.

Even your Cornets of the world can score 9 goals up top when needed - Gordon just doesn't have an end product.

He's a skinny Adama Traore.

You’ve probably listed 4 World Class/Elite players there to compare Gordon, whilst I’m not his biggest fan, that’s a harsh criticism of him there.
I do fully believe if his name was Idal Tal he’d have been hounded out now. But we’re suckers for a local lad.

Defo not ready to play in middle. Decision making not there yet. Often delays the obvious ball to spread wide because he feels the need to dribble a bit first until the defender gets close He’s getting caught up with the need to make things happen every time and the crowd get a bit excited. Just push it wide to Patterson early ffs.

But is he a true winger either? Don’t remember too many crosses fizzed between the centre backs and keeper. Nor any tap ins sneaking in at the back post in front of his full back.

Full backs who start the game aggressively eat him and Gray for breakfast. They don’t fear them at all.

He’s a passionate, skilful and fast footballer with suspect stamina, and not convinced anybody has identified his best position. Not sure it’s anywhere in our current shape either.

He does have something though…

I appreciate he's only young but I still dont see that type of player in him.

Even your Cornets of the world can score 9 goals up top when needed - Gordon just doesn't have an end product.

He's a skinny Adama Traore.

I have my doubts. But i can remember a younger salah not being about to hit a barn door at Chelsea.

Gordons game has a long long way to go.

Little bit worried that we’re asking too much of him. He’s a talent for sure, has all of the attributes you want - but I can’t see what throwing him upfront is achieving.

Ive heard people saying Gordon is the best young player we've had since Rooney. I just do not see it at all. And its absolutely nowhere near being true. Wouldnt even be in my top 6 of young players in that time.

He is MILES behind Barkley, and ive had my fair share of negative opinions on him as well, but Gordon is nowhere near his level if we are honest.

Barkley's biggest flaw was decision making, but his decision making is levels above Gordon's, except Barkley had ability and occasional end product to go with it.

And then there's Leon Osman, who despite being older than Rooney, broke through after him. Anyone dismissing him as being sub Anthony Gordon, are doing him a disservice.

Gordon is not even in the same league as Davies, thats the sad truth, and Davies has been the fans whipping boy for so long now that i honestly can't see him winning some people back, even with an Iwobi like change of tides.

People saying Gordon is still young, give him time, are some of the same people who have been saying Davies is finished for 4 Years.

Davies is 23. Gordon is 21.

Id also have him behind Rodwell, Vaughan and Anichebe, and none of them were particular fan favourites for any sustained period of time. They all offered more than Gordon though.

And they are just the ones who got an actual, legitimate opportunity in the 1st team.

With Gordon, i get major Kevin Mcleod vibes.

Id like nothing more than for him to prove me wrong. But the more i see, the less i see.

He needs taking out the team for his own good. Giving him the number 10 ruined any chance of him getting a productive loan in a Championship side. I just hope it doesnt make him an permanent fixture in ours.

I watched an interview with him recently (during pre-season) for Everton where it struck me as him having quite a (imo too) high opinion of himself.

He was going on about how he's a very intelligent person and doesn't have many weaknesses to his game. Made me think that he's been given that impression by the miles over the top praise he's been receiving, then being handed the number 10 shirt when most other teams would have him out on loan, etc.

He's now firmly under the impression that he's our new big hope and without him we have no chance, hence why he's hogging most set pieces despite being utterly terrible at crossing the football.

Didn't enjoy seeing him turning up at training with a new Claire Balding hairdo. If you want to look like a knob in this division you usually need to prove something first and earn that right.

In any case, as you can probably ascertain by my posts about him, my opinion of him is definitely not as high as his own is, and I absolutely do not hold out much if not any hope at all of him being any more effective than somebody like Tom Davies is, ie. crap.
So you don't like him because of his hair cut?
Sound.

I watched an interview with him recently (during pre-season) for Everton where it struck me as him having quite a (imo too) high opinion of himself.

He was going on about how he's a very intelligent person and doesn't have many weaknesses to his game. Made me think that he's been given that impression by the miles over the top praise he's been receiving, then being handed the number 10 shirt when most other teams would have him out on loan, etc.

He's now firmly under the impression that he's our new big hope and without him we have no chance, hence why he's hogging most set pieces despite being utterly terrible at crossing the football.

Didn't enjoy seeing him turning up at training with a new Claire Balding hairdo. If you want to look like a knob in this division you usually need to prove something first and earn that right.

In any case, as you can probably ascertain by my posts about him, my opinion of him is definitely not as high as his own is, and I absolutely do not hold out much if not any hope at all of him being any more effective than somebody like Tom Davies is, ie. crap.

Its a theme that runs through our squad.

You have DCL and Davies playing fancy dress up despite doing nothing on the pitch.

I get Messi, Aguero, Foden etc dying their hair bleach blonde to be all cliquey - the lads got a long way to go before he earns that right imo.

If you remember he also stormed into Carlo's office which didn't end too well for him.

You’ve probably listed 4 World Class/Elite players there to compare Gordon, whilst I’m not his biggest fan, that’s a harsh criticism of him there.
I do fully believe if his name was Idal Tal he’d have been hounded out now. But we’re suckers for a local lad.

This is the premier league. It’s about elite players.
The pressure needs to be taken off Gordon. Bring some proper senior players in for attacking positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.