2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember how soul destroying it was the day we sold Rooney. Before anyone starts I'm not comparing Rooney to AG...the similarity is that they were the players with most or a lot of talent in the respective squads at the time. Now this selling our talent seems to be the norm. To read some of the comments on AG is very sad. Without him last season we are playing Championship football. Two games into the season and a lot of opinions have changed. Dare I say it if he scored yesterday this thread may look very different.

Cucurella was wanted across Europe by 3 of the biggest clubs, had an unreal season, Brighton did too and generally they had no reason to sell other than a really good bid.

None of that applies to us. We almost got relegated and have public money problems. We have more negotiating power in this deal than we did for Richy but still we can’t be playing around with fees like this, too much of a risk of them walking away.
We will get what we want for Gordon, there is no pressure to sell financially.

But, if we do sell, we can definitely have A LOT of scope to do things we otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Don't be fretting.

Twitter is full of fans who hate gordon, hate everton and hate every single player we have, and its not 1 or 2 accounts either.

I remember how soul destroying it was the day we sold Rooney. Before anyone starts I'm not comparing Rooney to AG...the similarity is that they were the players with most or a lot of talent in the respective squads at the time. Now this selling our talent seems to be the norm. To read some of the comments on AG is very sad. Without him last season we are playing Championship football. Two games into the season and a lot of opinions have changed. Dare I say it if he scored yesterday this thread may look very different.
I’m sorry that’s just pure fantasy.

Without Richarlison and Pickford we would have been playing championship football, Gordon was ok, but let’s not go overboard.

I don't see any reason why Everton would entertain a bid that includes a player if it reduces the fee and paper profit we'd make on selling Gordon. It's in our interests to make as big a paper profit on player sales as possible.
Obviously if Chelsea are going to spend big money on Gordon they are going to play him, that isn’t the case for Gallagher,Broja,odoi,Barkley or Bats. So one of those could be a loan to buy (agreed price now) they want Gordon because they know Newcastle and Spurs are sniffing around him.

The "anyone with an opinion opposite mine is a football manager nerd" shouts are incredibly juvenile. Since when did selling and reinvesting become anything to do with FM? Its a model real clubs have used for years.
Nonsense! Don't you know England's fourth most historically successful club should retain all club-grown players no matter the offer or how average they are. We cannot lower ourselves to the likes of bonkers Brighton, batsheet Brentford, and silly Southampton........

The difficulty here is if we sold him all our FPP problems are gone as it’s pure profit … we could replace him with 3 players if we were clever about it . Rather we bought more players and he stayed but think this might be happening !

that’s not the point. we’re a joke of a club who sells its best players and round and round and round we go
Thing is like we hadn't sold our best players for 3 years before this season Matty and we were still crap

FWIW, Gordon isn't one of our best players, he has a lot of work to do. But, we do not absolutely HAVE to sell.

However, if Chelsea want to offer £50m for a lad with 4 PL goals, one of which was an inadvertent clip of his heal off a Richarlison shot, and what - 2 assists? - then honestly, we have to seriously think about it don't we?

I do think that's a bit mad like.

I want more from Gordon, but he's also 21 and only in his second full season as a first-team player, after a season when we should never have relied on him as much as we did in the first place.

Someone coming in and bidding massive money doesn't mean his development automatically becomes that of a £50m player does it?

IMO he shouldn't be the guaranteed starter that he is in our team but that isn't his fault - it's down to the people in charge of the club.
I would say it does yes. We barely stayed up last year and look likely to see a marginal improvement at best unless there are significant incomings. We can’t afford to turn down £40m+ for a player who then doesn’t produce the goods, it could literally be the difference between staying up and going down.

Gordon is good. I like him, he has potential. The idea we’ve ‘thrown him in at the deep end’ is utterly bonkers. He had 2 seasons on the fringes and a loan before becoming a proper regular at 21. If anything he was a late bloomer. Then people talk about it like we threw a 16 year old kid in and said right we’re pinning everything on you now. It’s just a bizarre misrepresentation of what’s actually happened.

If we got big cash for Gordon it would be spent.
Whether or not it was well spent remains to be seen but I think we’d easily be able to use 40-50m right now to make our attack against Forest this weekend better than it was against Villa.
Whether we miss out on a future star if Gordon reaches his potential also remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.