2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Gordon plays a bit deeper really and contributes a lot more defensively.
He got 4 goals last season, which according to some is woeful, yer Martinelli averaging less than 4 a season across his time is wonderful. Strange how people intepret things.

And it doesn't matter what I think Gordon is worth. He's worth what somebody is willing to pay. People far brighter than me and you have dictated he's worth at least 42m. That holds far more value. These people are professionals, who know what they are doing in this.

They're not people on an internet forum who think they are being clever for making trying to split hairs between a winger, a wide forward and a striker.
Anthony Gordon average 1 goal a season in the same time frame as you've arbitrarily given to Martinell so yes still much better than AG.

As for your experts shout youre just being silly. The so called experts have spent 45 million on Gylfi, tried to replace Lukaku with Sandro Ramirez, sold De Bruyne, bought Pepe, Morata the list goes on, the greatest manager of all time sold Stam whilst signing bums like Bebe. These experts are no different than anyone else and make massive mistakes. Martinelli would get a 50m bid if he played for Everton but he plays for a bigger team who clubs know wouldn't entertain that low of a bid. What's next Saka or Foden aren't worth 50m because no one has wasted their time bidding on them?

If we get £50m for Gordon we can easily improve our team a lot. I don't see why you wouldn't take the money. Why gamble on his potential?

I think the clubs gone in waaaay to early giving him the #10 shirt and the whole 'starboy'? thing
This does bring up an important point: does he become our worst #10 ever? Just on what he did actually wearing #10

Hmm, this is a bit a spoon bending.

22/23 - 2 goals in 2 apps
21/22 - 6 goals, 7 assists in 36 apps
20/21 - 2 goals, 2 assists in 23 apps
19/20 - 10 goals, 4 assists in 26 apps

Far better numbers playing the same position as Gordon.

League goals (as its only fair to have an apples v apples comparison)

Martinelli 3, 2, 6, 2=13 goals. In 59 games.

I've made a mistake though, he has been there 2.5 not 3.5 years. Genuine mistake, and his average is therefore higher. Hes a good player, and could go on to be excellent. Not sure hes quite there yet.

League goals (as its only fair to have an apples v apples comparison)

Martinelli 3, 2, 6, 2=13 goals. In 59 games.

I've made a mistake though, he has been there 2.5 not 3.5 years. Genuine mistake, and his average is therefore higher. Hes a good player, and could go on to be excellent. Not sure hes quite there yet.

You realise both us and Arsenal play in the same domestic pots too? Why are they ommitted?

Another sash wearing, flute player.

Him and Patterson can start their own Everton FC Orange Lodge.
F99E21A0-ED5A-4622-8FC7-377235F2C374.jpeg

That’s my point, the term “world class” gets bandied about all the time

When truthfully, you know when you’ve witnessed world class. And again, Pulisic was not

Relative to 20 year olds he probably was. But he wasnt as good as the 3 you've mentioned.

But then, I'm not sure any footballer over the last 30 years would be.

You're right on the playing football bit too. I'll give you a couple of examples, which people who have played, at a reasomable level or above will understand. I could pick more out but they are 2 that come to mind:

1) In his debut against Liverpool, as a teenager his positonal sense kept Arnold quiet. There was also a moment where he picked the ball off in midfield, dribble past too Liverpool players, and was about to get his head up and pass it through for DCL to run onto. In the end Wijnaldum nailed him, so it didn't quite come off. But it was an early sign to me, that he had confidence and a unique ability to go past people but also the sense to look up for a pass. That was quite rare.

2) Last week against Chelsea, playing against 3 centre halves, he find space between them all, drifts in for a header, timing his run perfectly, outjumping Koulibaly in the process, and ultimately should score. It's very difficult to teach that instinctive ability of timing runs into the box, never mind having such a good leap and standing at 6 ft 1 or whatever.

It's not everything, but it was quite stand out ish to me.

Then you read all he does is run around. Strange one. People don't bid over 40m for players who just run around. Damarai Gray just runs around fast, and nobody is ever going to bid 40m for him. It's very obvious why.

Yeah spot on, mate. The examples you have given wont show on any stats or excel sheet, its more what you pick up while watching a game and understanding it imo.

Top top teams have doubled up on him....Trent and others could only foul him to stop him in his tracks.

He presses well, I know that sounds easy, but its not just runnning...its supposed to close off passing channels, and he does that.

For me....when he does get his chances and makes the final passes...he may actually be a little tired due to how keen he is for the team to win.....but to put it simple...he just lacks composure, and that just does not come automatically.

Agree with gray too, and ive said that myself about him, he just runs now n again when he thinks he can win it, not to close off options.

Status
Not open for further replies.