2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did he??
Sancho: 3 goals, 3 assists in 1900 minutes
Gordon: 4 goals, 2 assists in 2300 minutes

Hardly a huge difference... and when you consider 2 (iirc) of Gordon's goals basically went in off his arse from other players' shots....

Sancho was definitely underwhelming last season, but he was signed off the back of 3 seasons where he averaged almost a goal contribution a game.

Tim said last season. So none of that counts.

Did he??
Sancho: 3 goals, 3 assists in 1900 minutes
Gordon: 4 goals, 2 assists in 2300 minutes

Hardly a huge difference... and when you consider 2 (iirc) of Gordon's goals basically went in off his arse from other players' shots....

Sancho was definitely underwhelming last season, but he was signed off the back of 3 seasons where he averaged almost a goal contribution a game.
Honestly don't think his stats in the Bundesliga are that relevant. He didn't perform as well as Gordon last year, so Gordon's value shouldn't be significantly less.

I personally think Gordon is already a better player and will become a far better player. I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest Sancho suits premier league football.

Honestly don't think his stats in the Bundesliga are that relevant. He didn't perform as well as Gordon last year, so Gordon's value shouldn't be significantly less.

I personally think Gordon is already a better player and will become a far better player. I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest Sancho suits premier league football.
By what metric?

You twist comments so smoothly you could be my wife. lol

I don't differentiate between scouse Evertonians and non scouse Evertonians. They are all equal to me.;)

I'm just making an observation that only a very small minority on here think he should stay. So the question should be, are Evertonian,s too hard on our local talent who have come through the system.
Probably yes is the answer to your last question Fred.

I’d struggle to form such a decisive view of their relative merits given the nuances of the situation

It seems extreme - to see nothing in Jadon Sancho’s play to suggest he suits premier league football - do you think he’s more of a championship level football player? He’s at a club with quite a few problems and not the only player not firing there

It’s a gamble for Gordon if he goes - he’s got very comfortable at Everton. But wouldn’t want to go the way of Rodwell, Barkley, Jeffers etc. He hasn’t really delivered end product yet so it’s all potential

I don't differentiate between scouse Evertonians and non scouse Evertonians. They are all equal to me.;)

I'm just making an observation that only a very small minority on here think he should stay. So the question should be, are Evertonian,s too hard on our local talent who have come through the system.
I don't think so, in this instance at least.

Personally, I'm not being hard on the lad insofar as I don't dislike him as a player, but I just recognise that the fee being touted is far more than I could have expected us to get for him and I think it'd be terrible business to turn it down.

New signings (Myko included) aside, I can't think of any of our players I wouldn't accept £50m for, off the top of my head.

Despite being a non-scouse Evertonian, I still carry that sentimentality towards home grown talent. There's nothing better than seeing a kid come through the academy and be a success, and speaking as southern softie who's spent a lot of time in Liverpool over the years there is definitely something special about people from your part of the country.. you guys have a mentality, a spirit and fight that you don't really get anywhere else - and that's always magnified in sport. When you get that Scouse attitude and combine it with god given talent like Rooney, special things happen but there lies the problem maybe. We measure every kid that comes through the academy to those lofty standards. The moment a kid shows any sign of promise we elevate them. Baxter, Rodwell, Barkley, Davies and now Gordon. I do think that pressure to be the next Rooney only ever leads to disappointment. They either leave and we're heartbroken/angry/betrayed or they stay and never reach the levels we expect from them - Tom Davies is a prime example of that.
Should Gordon go? It's a head vs heart. £50m is a lot of money for the player he is today but it may turn out to be an absolute steal if he reaches his potential.

There's people that desperate on here to get tat like Adams and Gilmour in that they'd accept ten bob for him.
He'll no, personally I have been on the Gordon sell boat for a week or so but actually, if he stays it's because Frank has ideas for him....and that's fine too tbh. I only wanted to sell as we need strikers and midfielders more than wingers...certainly don't want Adams or Gilmore INSTEAD of Gordon though.
Anywhere over £50 million though and my arse would be twitching.

I don't think so, in this instance at least.

Personally, I'm not being hard on the lad insofar as I don't dislike him as a player, but I just recognise that the fee being touted is far more than I could have expected us to get for him and I think it'd be terrible business to turn it down.

New signings (Myko included) aside, I can't think of any of our players I wouldn't accept £50m for, off the top of my head.
I agree Brett. I don't want to lose him really but selling him at that price could help give us a better overall squad than we have right now. Chelsea can afford to wait for him to develop much more than we can.

Having said that, the thread includes a lot of comments completely dissing the player which is so wide of the mark. So much more than the number over praising him. Which is how this conversation came about.

Status
Not open for further replies.