Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
We’ve failed to improve our league position 6 times in the last 8 years, but well done for missing the point in order to win 10 internet pedantry points.
2 games in, new management team (after the end of the last transfer window)' transfer window not closed and lots of work to fix the errors of previous regimes...

nah I think I got the point, and it''s premature.

We aint going to do anything till we get players who can create and score goals.

I know I keep going on, but Gordon and Iwobi got so much praise last season, for simply running, neither created or scoring anything all season and here we are, going into a new season with the same 2 players expected to create and score goals.

We could sign Mbappe this window and we would still struggle.

Or best creative players are currently Michael Keane and Tarks.

Everybody is rightly focusing on our lack of Striker, meanwhile we are adding Gana to a midfield who couldnt find the goal with a map.

As much as I agree we lack any sort of threat I think a player like Gana is absolutely vital still as we saw vs Villa our midfield got bullied yet again.

Thelwell has had many barriers to work around, such as FFP issues, our star player leaving at the start of the summer. Unlike Walsh and Brands who had free range and seemingly unlimited budgets to work with. Still work to be done, but he has brought in 2 very solid defenders who will tighten us up, Onana and Gana will add an engine to our midfield. We just need the strikers in now, which they’re working on

Yes.

Some people just really hate a back 3 and want us to play like City and Liverpool by using 433, despite us not having the world class players to make it work.
Or 4-3-3 like West Ham and qualify for Europe with less superior players.

Or 4-3-3 like Newcastle who were 10 points behind us and finished 10 points ahead of us using a stable system not flip flopping between 4 or 5 formations like we did, including this 5-2-3 most. Their squad is a similar level as ours.

Or like Brentford when it looked like they were going down, went to a 4-3-3 rose up the league.

Or 4-2-3-1 like Arsenal

Or 4-2-3-1 like Leicester

Or 4-3-3 and be hard to beat like Palace

The majority of our points (65%, 13 points from 20) came from playing a back 4, I just want enough points to not be involved in anything like last season then experiment with your long term philosophy, we were consistently a top half team until last season using 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, the only thing that has changed is a toxic kopite manager and 2 managers who favour this 5-2-3.

I will also add that as defensive as Allardyce was he never even went to 5 at the back.

Thelwell has had many barriers to work around, such as FFP issues, our star player leaving at the start of the summer. Unlike Walsh and Brands who had free range and seemingly unlimited budgets to work with. Still work to be done, but he has brought in 2 very solid defenders who will tighten us up, Onana and Gana will add an engine to our midfield. We just need the strikers in now, which they’re working on
He's another Moshiri puppet.

Spurs Chelsea and everyone’s favourite Brighton all regularly use a back 3. Wolves used it very well under NES for a period. The formation isn’t the issue, we just haven’t had the players to execute any tactical plan other than sitting deep and hitting balls over the top for Richarlison and DCL to run after. We can’t just keep reverting to this every time we get a result we don’t want because we’ll never move the club forward.

If Thelwell and Lampard are putting in place players to allow us to play differently then I’ll take a bit of short term pain.
The issue with that is the short term pain could lead to permanent pain as we saw how hard it was to turn poor form around last season. Lets get the formation/system that will more than likely get results and roll with that until we get enough points, then experiment with the new philosophy.

Tottenham midfielder Tanguy Ndombele is to have his medical at Napoli today, reports Sky Sports.

The 25-year-old is set to be sent out on loan for £840k with the option to sign him set at £25.3m.

Prob would have turned his nose up as us but seems to have a lot of ability - maybe the attitude is lacking? He was a massive coup for spurs but has t worked out, another example of how difficult it can be to bring in the right player.

2 games in, new management team (after the end of the last transfer window)' transfer window not closed and lots of work to fix the errors of previous regimes...

nah I think I got the point, and it''s premature.
Nah you definitely didn’t then. I’m not saying we’re doomed or this can’t be a good window, just that it gets boring seeing people pretend every window has been a good one however much evidence there may be to the contrary. Overly positive and overly negative are just 2 sides of the same coin really.

The issue with that is the short term pain could lead to permanent pain as we saw how hard it was to turn poor form around last season. Lets get the formation/system that will more than likely get results and roll with that until we get enough points, then experiment with the new philosophy.
We arent experimenting with a new formation, 3 at the back isnt new for the players.

Its just going to take the fanbase a while to get used to it.

If we can get a settled side without people breaking down weekly, it might work.

I think the players are more the issue than any formation, how can you expect to win football matches when Alex Iwobi is your playmaker.

Tottenham midfielder Tanguy Ndombele is to have his medical at Napoli today, reports Sky Sports.

The 25-year-old is set to be sent out on loan for £840k with the option to sign him set at £25.3m.

Prob would have turned his nose up as us but seems to have a lot of ability - maybe the attitude is lacking? He was a massive coup for spurs but has t worked out, another example of how difficult it can be to bring in the right player.
Allegedly knocked us back, but think that was coming from the Italian media so highly likely to be made up lol

I mean, other teams play 3-4-3 and don't get bullied in midfield.
Chelsea and Spurs?

Chelsea front 3 is Havertz, Mount and Sterling. Havertz and Mount don`t play as wingers but as 2 x No.10s so affectively they have 4 in CM.

Spurs have Harry Kane who drops deep, ever wondered why? To be the 3rd CM player and mark the deepest of the opponents 3.

Or 4-3-3 like West Ham and qualify for Europe with less superior players.

Or 4-3-3 like Newcastle who were 10 points behind us and finished 10 points ahead of us using a stable system not flip flopping between 4 or 5 formations like we did, including this 5-2-3 most. Their squad is a similar level as ours.

Or like Brentford when it looked like they were going down, went to a 4-3-3 rose up the league.

Or 4-2-3-1 like Arsenal

Or 4-2-3-1 like Leicester

Or 4-3-3 and be hard to beat like Palace

The majority of our points (65%, 13 points from 20) came from playing a back 4, I just want enough points to not be involved in anything like last season then experiment with your long term philosophy, we were consistently a top half team until last season using 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, the only thing that has changed is a toxic kopite manager and 2 managers who favour this 5-2-3.

I will also add that as defensive as Allardyce was he never even went to 5 at the back.
West Ham's midfielders are far superior to ours, which takes pressure off their defence.

Newcastle signed Guimaraes who has been excellent, and unearthed a random midfield gem in Joelinton. Again, their CM energy helped them cope with having 4 at the back.

Brentford's amazing resurgence happened to coincide with them signing one of the best playmakers the league has ever seen. You seem to have overlooked that.

Arsenal have far better players than us.

Leicester have far better midfielders than us.

Palace had Gallagher in their CM last season and a very energetic forward line.

Wolves had an upturn in fortunes after switching to a 5. Chelsea won the league after doing so under Conte.

We have crap players and have had a succession of crap managers. If we struggle, I highly doubt it'll be down to the formation.

Status
Not open for further replies.