2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.

See how Arsenal are top of the league?

Remember when a lot of people thought Arteta was a joke and should have been sacked?

Does that ring any bells?

Then he was given time to rebuild the squad...

...now look at Lampard who already saved the club from relegation and got the players and (most) fans behind him.

He's done well with defence and midfield and now needs to work on the forward line without his star striker.

You're unfavourably comparing him to Mike Walker.

Do you not see how daft you look?
The difference is that Arteta stuck to a formation, Frank came in and flipped flopped between 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 5-2-3. This season he has picked the one with the worst return and ran with it, we even seen the difference the system makes by going 4-2-3-1 v Villa.

Another example was Howe at Newcastle who have a similar ability level as our squad, Howe cam in with them 10 points behind us and by the end of the season they finished 10 points above us, in 27 games they managed 20 more points than us just by sticking to a settled formation and team selection.

Leeds have stuck to this 4-2-3-1, how is that turning out for them?

Obviously time will tell but if we continue with the 5-2-3 we wont get anywhere, currentlu watching the Leeds v Chelsea game and they have the same issues we do and they have world class players. So that even further shows my point the system/formation is the issue.

I remember 20 years ago the many discussions we used to have over who is the best English midfielder between Gerrard and Lampard.

Now we can discuss who will be sacked first instead.
It's partly to do with the celebrity culture that has exploded since the start of the Premier League. Lampard got, first, the Chelsea job and later the Everton job based on not much more than the fact that he was a very good English footballer. Gerrard got, first, the Rangers job based on the same criteria. You could then argue that he got the Aston Villa job based on the job he did in Scotland. Contrast that with Alex Ferguson who had to start at St. Mirren, smash the Old Firm and turn Aberdeen into one of the best sides in Europe (defeating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid in the process) before being a relatively unpopular choice to take over at Manchester United despite years of stellar achievement.

Clubs have always been sentimental suckers for their own former great players. Chelsea turned to Lampard - when they couldn't shop in the same market as previously due to a transfer ban - but jettisoned him as soon as it was clear they could do better. Hiring your own former greats is one thing - cultural fit, etc. - but hiring others' without a comprehensive coaching CV seems risky.

Part of the reason people almost enjoy discussing the potential demises of Gerrard and Lampard is because there is a perceived unfairness in their appointments to roles that were, generally, the preserve of people who were perceived to have earned them. People felt the same about Solksjaer at Man United. If he hadn't played for the club, he wouldn't have been appointed. Indeed, Cardiff City realised he wasn't even up to managing them at one point.

I hope Lampard is smart enough to take advantage of the golden ticket he holds because of his playing career. But he wouldn't be in the job if he was Mickey Droy - and it seems to me that there isn't all that much between the aforementioned Droy and Frank in terms of concrete coaching achievement.

It’s the players, not Lampard. The players don’t have enough desire to match Lampard’s tactics. We can change any manager but the end result will be the same. The hardworking culture required to be competitive in this league must be address no matter who is in charge.
There’s loads of desire, it’s just not clicking too much disruption every week.

Lampard is average at best
I think he is everything you want in a manager except the most important thing, he doesn`t get results.

I just worry that with him using this 5-2-3 he may get himself sacked by Moshiri or get us relegated, or both. Next 3 will be tough, I cant see a win in any of them, I hope I`m wrong, we saw how hard it was to turn poor form around last season, how hard will it be to come back from 6, 7 or 8 games without a win?

5 players in since last season and we still cant stop conceding goals....

The difference is that Arteta stuck to a formation, Frank came in and flipped flopped between 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 and 5-2-3. This season he has picked the one with the worst return and ran with it, we even seen the difference the system makes by going 4-2-3-1 v Villa.

Another example was Howe at Newcastle who have a similar ability level as our squad, Howe cam in with them 10 points behind us and by the end of the season they finished 10 points above us, in 27 games they managed 20 more points than us just by sticking to a settled formation and team selection.

Leeds have stuck to this 4-2-3-1, how is that turning out for them?

Obviously time will tell but if we continue with the 5-2-3 we wont get anywhere, currentlu watching the Leeds v Chelsea game and they have the same issues we do and they have world class players. So that even further shows my point the system/formation is the issue.
Difference is last season we were shipping goals for fun in a four he clearly wants us to be more solid then add the attacking parts. Personally I would rather 433 especially at home but you need a quality DM to play maybe if Gana comes in we will see it more. Maybe we need that attacking midfielder too.

There’s loads of desire, it’s just not clicking too much disruption every week.
Not sure about loads of desire. First game against Chelsea, yes, I can see desire. Team press all over the pitch. Front 3 hunt in packs.

2 games later, we were largely sitting back only defending in our half.

Rondon, of all people, tried to initiate a front press, waving his hand to encourage a team effort. The rest of the team just jog a forward a few yards, leaving rondon chasing shadows.

These are small little effort that I don’t see in the team after 2 games.

I think he is everything you want in a manager except the most important thing, he doesn`t get results.

I just worry that with him using this 5-2-3 he may get himself sacked by Moshiri or get us relegated, or both. Next 3 will be tough, I cant see a win in any of them, I hope I`m wrong, we saw how hard it was to turn poor form around last season, how hard will it be to come back from 6, 7 or 8 games without a win?

5 players in since last season and we still cant stop conceding goals....
We haven't conceded many though one in two games, two in the other and the second was when we opened up switched to a 433 and were pushing on. Ultimately if we had a forward of any note we could have won yesterday and probably a draw in another match. Strikers are difference makers. Also as usually we have had injuries even now we have Mina, Godfrey, Doucs and DCL out all starters in reality.

Lamps teams are apparently slow starters, I think we need to see what he does when the forward line has actually been reinforced before we all start panicking. Its three games in ultimately and we are shorn of a forward line.

Of course, it is a results business and of course as a coach Lampard has naiveities he's in his fourth or fifth season and yes he has been given opportunities partly on his name. Although getting Chrlsea in the Champions league with a transfer ban wasn't nothing. But you are missing two crucial factors when he was appointed we were in freefall we had won one game in fourteen that's hard to turn around whoever you are. Second we currently have no goal scorer?!!! Can you honestly say we don't sit with more than one point if we have a striker? Judge him when we have the squad finished, I blame the board more than him currently. They sold the man who kept us up and haven't replaced its insanity.
See highlighted above, our current league run is 1 win in 7 going back to last season, next 5 are Brentford a, Leeds a, Liverpool h, Arsenal a and West Ham h. It is possible to go in to the international break with 1 win in 12 despite adding 5 players and whoever else comes in.

EDIT: Obviously we have to wait and see what happens but if reports are true that Moshiri wanted to sack Lampard last season after the Brentford game then by time we get to the international break and it hasnt gone well Moshiri may well pull the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.