Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Horrendous day in work today. Got told I'm going to have to relocate offices for a couple of days a week from March rather than wfh. This is a nightmare for me as I don't drive because of anxiety and am now facing the prospect of having to get and pay for public transport and add a couple of hours to my working day. As soon as I got the call to tell me, I felt my stress and anxiety levels rise tenfold. I have an interview coming up, which will change everything but I fear its already earmarked for someone else. It also adds so much pressure to the interview that I fear I will just implode on the day.

Horrendous day in work today. Got told I'm going to have to relocate offices for a couple of days a week from March rather than wfh. This is a nightmare for me as I don't drive because of anxiety and am now facing the prospect of having to get and pay for public transport and add a couple of hours to my working day. As soon as I got the call to tell me, I felt my stress and anxiety levels rise tenfold. I have an interview coming up, which will change everything but I fear its already earmarked for someone else. It also adds so much pressure to the interview that I fear I will just implode on the day.
Worrying achieves nothing. Why has WFH been ended? Will the company give you travel allowance? If you have the idea you are being managed out of the door, get the first punch in? Union rep - "I'm being bullied". Change of working conditions without even being consulted. Make it messy, drag 12 months pay out of them. Sadly the work place has become even more cut throat than it was - the scum have followed the american model where you work to survive or are cut adrift.
Use your time to get your CV out elsewhere asap. When one bunch of jokers shows their true colours, loyalty goes out of the window, why curtsey to those that won't even look you in the eye. Online reviews of working environments are a treasure trove of revenge. Nice and anonymous.

How long/far is your relocation?

My job changed and I got a bike to cycle in. It was the best thing I did. Got some exercise and saved money.

Firstly, the change won't be as bad as you imagine. That's how anxiety gets us, we see things as being much worse as than they will be. That's not to negate your issue, but it almost certainly won't be as bad as you think.

Second, nothing lasts forever, job change is pretty much a given in this day and age. It's a few days a week not wfh, not every day. So you will have wfh some days which you will really look forward to. Look at the change rationally, what can you do to minimise the upheaval? The lid up there has mentioned cycling? Cycle/train could be an option? Is there a local colleague who could give you a lift?

Thirdly, is there a means to have a look at your driving anxiety? Have you looked at a course of treatment? Is it viable just to go and talk the issue through? Maybe book a short session with a driving instructor at a local car park?

Lastly, everything seems like a massive uphill struggle right now. but once you have embraced a little bit of change, it won't seem anywhere near as bad as you thought originally, so small steps. Explore one option at a time. Whatever you do, you have a skill set. Other employers will want that skill set, so if the current situation doesn't work out, move on.

Keep us all posted lid.

Has anybody here manage to successfully quit drinking?

And if so, how?

It's been a bit out of hand for me lately and it's a path i really don't want to go down

Treating this thread a bit like a diary haha

Have cut down significantly in the last month or so, none at all during the week and even at weekends i hardly find my self wanting a beer

Feel so much fresher and avoiding hangovers gives me more time for things i actually enjoy, just kicking myself that i didn't kick the habit earlier

Treating this thread a bit like a diary haha

Have cut down significantly in the last month or so, none at all during the week and even at weekends i hardly find my self wanting a beer

Feel so much fresher and avoiding hangovers gives me more time for things i actually enjoy, just kicking myself that i didn't kick the habit earlier
Superb that mate.
Life without hangovers is good. They steal your time.

I have had some very dark thoughts recently. Not sure what is really driving it. Feel overwhelmed at work, fairly often. I know I'm not great at communicating with my boss and its difficult because we are in different countries. I don't always speak up when I have too much work to deal with and because I am overwhelmed I avoid things so my to do list just gets longer and longer.
I'm trying to break the cycle by carving up my work into smaller pieces and keeping a list of what I have completed each day, so I feel like I have achieved something, even though my to do list keeps growing.
I'm getting stressed at home as well, I feel like my wife doesn't enjoy anything in the moment, she is always thinking about some perceived problem in the future. On Christmas day she was talking about summer holidays and the fact that the school may not be running the summer holiday club so we wont have childcare for our daughter. My Birthday was in January and as soon as I opened my presents, she asked me what I want for Valentines day. Its emotionally draining

I have had some very dark thoughts recently. Not sure what is really driving it. Feel overwhelmed at work, fairly often. I know I'm not great at communicating with my boss and its difficult because we are in different countries. I don't always speak up when I have too much work to deal with and because I am overwhelmed I avoid things so my to do list just gets longer and longer.
I'm trying to break the cycle by carving up my work into smaller pieces and keeping a list of what I have completed each day, so I feel like I have achieved something, even though my to do list keeps growing.
I'm getting stressed at home as well, I feel like my wife doesn't enjoy anything in the moment, she is always thinking about some perceived problem in the future. On Christmas day she was talking about summer holidays and the fact that the school may not be running the summer holiday club so we wont have childcare for our daughter. My Birthday was in January and as soon as I opened my presents, she asked me what I want for Valentines day. Its emotionally draining
Hello mate, I think I might be able to identify with what you're saying. I've had times where the balance of stress and fun in my life has tipped too heavily in favour of stress and then my mood has started to darken too if it goes on for a long enough time.

Do you have any outlets in your life for fun and enjoyment? And are you able to talk to your wife constructively about what's bothering you?

Hello mate, I think I might be able to identify with what you're saying. I've had times where the balance of stress and fun in my life has tipped too heavily in favour of stress and then my mood has started to darken too if it goes on for a long enough time.

Do you have any outlets in your life for fun and enjoyment? And are you able to talk to your wife constructively about what's bothering you?

I think a lot of what I do in my spare time, feels more like killing time and then all my problems are still there, rather than me really having fun. I sometimes feel better after I exercise, so I am trying to do that 3 times a week, where I can fit it in.
My wife talked to me about changing my job, I looked around and the job I do isn't exactly unique, but all the ones I found are on lower pay than i'm on now and further away from home and I might be just as stressed if I moved jobs and was on less money and seeing my kid less often.
I changed my shift in January and I think it helped a little, I worked 12-8 the last 2 years and I now do 10-6, it means I get a but more time with my family, but I think I am one of those people who actually likes to go into the office most days and have separation between work and home. If I dont then often when I am working from home I get distracted by jobs I need to do around the house. maybe I just need to give it more time?