2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Stepping up to take the penalty knowing full well what the fall out would be if he missed. You've got to admire his balls.
Yes, to a point. But centre forwards should be gagging to take penalties. It’s their job to score. I’m pleased for us that he scored, and for the player himself. He gets credit from me for scoring. Shying away would have exposed him as a coward. Taking it and missing would have exposed him to shouts of incompetence. But he scored. As he should do. Now, he MUST continue this when he next plays. 23 games without a goal is, frankly, a more embarrassing return than even Dyche’s 13 without a win.

When you haven't scored for about 23 games or whatever it is, your confidence is completely shot and the pressure on your shoulders is at breaking point so much so that even agreeing to take a penalty is difficult and terrifying psychologically. Scoring wont suddenly make him prolific because he isn't anyway but it will certainly help build his confidence back up again to the point that he knows he can score a goal.

Here's hoping he goes on a better run now because man do we need goals in this terrifying final run in.

What did he say that was stupid?
I think saying he hopes everyone was happy he scored makes it sound like he thinks some people wouldn't have been which is stupid obviously we're all desperate for him to score especially in the last minute of a game we're losing! It reminds me of him talking about the crowd earlier in the season I just don't think its a good idea to take that prickly approach it doesn't help. I don't think its a great idea to say he's sure he's going to start scoring loads now either tbh it just puts more pressure on.

I think saying he hopes everyone was happy he scored makes it sound like he thinks some people wouldn't have been which is stupid obviously we're all desperate for him to score especially in the last minute of a game we're losing! It reminds me of him talking about the crowd earlier in the season I just don't think its a good idea to take that prickly approach it doesn't help. I don't think its a great idea to say he's sure he's going to start scoring loads now either tbh it just puts more pressure on.

You're calling it stupid but it only is stupid if what he said is interpreted your specific way?

You're calling it stupid but it only is stupid if what he said is interpreted your specific way?
I don't know what you mean by that obviously I interpret it the way I interpret it and thats why I think its stupid? I'm not making it a hypothetical thing looking for a hidden meaning its just that saying i hope people are happy sounds passive aggressive to me if you don't agree then thats OK and you don't have to think its a stupid thing to say.