2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

While incredibly happy that he scored, are we allowed to say it was a pretty poorly taken penalty?
If the keeper guesses the right way, gets a hand to it, and it still goes in…. Isn’t that a decent penalty?

I thought so… not perfect, but given his confidence levels I think he made the right decision by going for power and keeping it on target - and not trying to tuck it in the top corner.

Last edited:
If the keeper guesses the right way, gets a hand to it, and it still goes in…. Isn’t that a decent penalty?

I thought so… not perfect, but given his confidence levels I think he made the right decision by going for power and keeping it on target - and not trying and tuck it in the top corner.
Perhaps so, and I completely agree with the power element. I meant more the height of the ball and the position, regardless of the keeper going the right way or not.

Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy he scored the penalty and hopefully it spurs him and the team on, and I'm not trying to be overly negative.

More, I'm attempting to say the penalty epitomised his and our lack of confidence in front of goal: if it was Pickford in goal, we'd be saying it was saveable.

1712126100867.png

Big boy stuff to take it and score. He frustrates at times but he has the capacity to be a capable goalscorer, he needs confidence and composure in those moments which has been lacking for a long time so hopefully last night will spur him on. We need him to start scoring regularly.

Perhaps so, and I completely agree with the power element. I meant more the height of the ball and the position, regardless of the keeper going the right way or not.

Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy he scored the penalty and hopefully it spurs him and the team on, and I'm not trying to be overly negative.

More, I'm attempting to say the penalty epitomised his and our lack of confidence in front of goal: if it was Pickford in goal, we'd be saying it was saveable.

View attachment 251087

How he’s not saved that I don’t know. If he dives with two hands it’s a comfortable save. He’s a really poor keeper.

View attachment 251087

That body position of DCL is of a player who is crapping his pants that its about to be saved

It had power for a change which is what got it in the back of the net but if that was Pickford, I'd be disappointed if he didn't save that, at the height and getting a hand on it.

That body position of DCL is of a player who is crapping his pants that its about to be saved

It had power for a change which is what got it in the back of the net but if that was Pickford, I'd be disappointed if he didn't save that, at the height and getting a hand on it.

I’ve noticed all of his pens go the same way. He could do with mixing it up a bit.

I’ve noticed all of his pens go the same way. He could do with mixing it up a bit.

tbf he's probably thinking he only gets to take a pen once a season so no point in mixing it up as the keeper won't remember which way he goes as its been that long.

Before he took it last night, I said to my lad he'll hit this straight down the middle to just try and make solid contact and get it on target.

I'm made up for him it went in, there's no excuses now and I don't want to hear anyone from the Everton camp go "yeah we always had faith in him scoring again".

23 games is simply unacceptable and he's a massive part of why we are where are. He needs to get back to doing the basics again which is where he's occupying centre halves, bullying his man, winning his battles and bringing others into play. That's something he hasn't done since he was actually on a half decent little run and a big reason why the goals dry up.