Relegation 23/24 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm struggling to see Luton getting many more points. They are significantly weakened by injuries and look to be under the cosh every time they play. I think as little as 4 more points and avoiding defeat at Luton would likely be enough for us, unless there are more deductions.

At least now we know what we need to do.

7 points from our last 7 games is more than doable given our remaining fixtures. That would leave Luton needing 3 wins in 6 (so far they have 6 wins in 32) to catch us points wise, but even that probably wouldn’t be enough with our superior GD and potential for another point back on appeal.

That would probably also leave us ahead of Forest, although they could also be getting points back on appeal, so I would concentrate on staying ahead of Luton.

Having said all that, we just need to match the points tally Luton get in their remaining 6 games in our 7 to maintain the current cushion.

The PL have really done a number on us this season.
Basically, we cannot lose to Luton - or Forest. That's what it all comes down to.

If we lose to Luton, two more wins is definitely within their grasp (and they might not even need those). In the end, it'll come down to our bottle. That's a worrying thing.

I'm struggling to see Luton getting many more points. They are significantly weakened by injuries and look to be under the cosh every time they play. I think as little as 4 more points and avoiding defeat at Luton would likely be enough for us, unless there are more deductions.
They score goals though and have a number of fixtures against teams that may consider the fixtures to be dead rubber kind of games - Wolves (although still 3 games to play for Wolves after that and O'Neil won't have them rest on their laurels), West Ham (away, West Ham's final home game the season so hopefully they want to sign off on a positive - likely played on Uhr back of two defeats for West Ham and with City to play on final day) and Fulham, who literally will have nothing to play for and very likely won't be able to finish lower than they currently are.

It's not going to be pretty, but all the remaining games are going to be tight, ugly affairs with long balls in behind the back (ala Burnley game). We grind out 2 or 3 wins in the coming weeks playing full bore Dyche ball and we can be safe.

Nobody likes playing like this, and had we been comfortably mid table, even under Dyche, I'm sure we would be playing a different brand of football.

As mentioned above, we just need to not lose against Forest and Luton. We win one or both of those games and we'll be OK.

It's not going to be pretty, but all the remaining games are going to be tight, ugly affairs with long balls in behind the back (ala Burnley game). We grind out 2 or 3 wins in the coming weeks playing full bore Dyche ball and we can be safe.

Nobody likes playing like this, and had we been comfortably mid table, even under Dyche, I'm sure we would be playing a different brand of football.

As mentioned above, we just need to not lose against Forest and Luton. We win one or both of those games and we'll be OK.
That way of playing is partially designed to take the pressure off the players. None of them have the balls to make mistakes in a cup final trying to make something happen. The one who did think he could showboat in a massive moment for the club fluffed his lines and made himself look arrogant and we spiralled into crapness for 3 months.

Kicking for touch and gaining territory not possession, certainly in first halves, is obviously his way of trying to avoid more bottle jobs. Can almost understand and accept it temporarily. Probably have just enough buffer and “easier” games to get away with it. God knows what will happen if we get overtaken and have to play to win deliberately rather than by opposition blunders.

Its never going to go to plan like that.
Unfortunately my negative side in this. Luton and forest have a few surprise wins in them. I dont really see that with Everton. We have a few draws in games i dont expect to win possibly.
You can guarentee the home games against forest and brentford are going to be torture simply because we never score enough to be comfortable. One things for certain. We cant go into the last game away to arsenal needing a result.

At least now we know what we need to do.

7 points from our last 7 games is more than e given our remaining fixtures. That would leave Luton needing 3 wins in 6 (so far they have 6 wins in 32) to catch us points wise, but even that probably wouldn’t be enough with our superior GD and potential for another point back on appeal.

That would probably also leave us ahead of Forest, although they could also be getting points back on appeal, so I would concentrate on staying ahead of Luton.

Having said all that, we just need to match the points tally Luton get in their remaining 6 games in our 7 to maintain the current cushion.

The PL have really done a number on us this season.
In reality, it's 7 from the next 6. The 7th game is as 'expected loss' as you can get.

One of the many worrying things is that we aren't even creating the half chances that we did at the start of our winless run, when we were arguably the better team (Spurs x 2, Fulham, Man U?). It seems to me that we play better when Gueye is there. He may not be a creative player, but he does his destructive job better than anyone else we have and this frees up the others to show their 'attacking prowess'...............og God, we're doomed!!

I don’t think I realised there were only 7 games left! Needs to be sorted before last game as we aren’t getting anything at arsenal…all other games (even the derby imo) there are points available to us.

Hoping this latest points deduction will bring the players together again and we go on another little mini ‘backs against the wall’ run.

What a [Poor language removed] show of a season this has been. Dear me, Moshiri/kenwright/baxendale et al have ruined this club to the point we are now hoping that Sean bloody Dyche can mastermind a survival with an 8 point deduction!

Nah, think we have turned a little bit of a corner and this recent 2 points will give us a rocket up the ass. I too think we will give Chelsea a game on Monday. Hopefully after Luton have been smashed by City!
Luton should definitely be considered 'an extra point behind due to goal difference' after that City game, that's for sure.

If Wolves can dig out a performance against Forest it should be an enormous boost for us going into Chelsea and then 3 consecutive home games.

Status
Not open for further replies.