Relegation 23/24 Thread

Luton should definitely be considered 'an extra point behind due to goal difference' after that City game, that's for sure.

If Wolves can dig out a performance against Forest it should be an enormous boost for us going into Chelsea and then 3 consecutive home games.
If we can get a point on chelsea on Monday it would be huge. Then we just need to match luton’s results (with a game in hand - albeit the derby)

Have to be looking at being three points clear going into that final game - like you said the gd to luton is an extra point.

In reality, it's 7 from the next 6. The 7th game is as 'expected loss' as you can get.

Recent history suggests otherwise . In the last 10 Goodison derbies, 8 of them have been draws.

And if we're going to play this game, Luton are away to City this weekend which is also as an 'expected loss' you can get, so they'd therefore need 9 points from 5.

Edit - apologies, I read that as you referring to our game in hand, rather than last game of the season against the Arse.

Recent history suggests otherwise . In the last 10 Goodison derbies, 8 of them have been draws.

And if we're going to play this game, Luton are away to City this weekend which is also as an 'expected loss' you can get, so they'd therefore need 9 points from 5.

Edit - apologies, I read that as you referring to our game in hand, rather than last game of the season against the Arse.
No worries mate. I actually think we can come away from the derby with a point at least. We need to be safe by the Arsenal game, so we can bend over in our usual style and help them clinch the title.

No worries mate. I actually think we can come away from the derby with a point at least. We need to be safe by the Arsenal game, so we can bend over in our usual style and help them clinch the title.
Looking forward to being safe and watching Arsenal pip it from them. As long as its not a case of limiting Arsenal to half a dozen goals because our slightly better goal difference is keeping us up. Eek!

It's not going to be pretty, but all the remaining games are going to be tight, ugly affairs with long balls in behind the back (ala Burnley game). We grind out 2 or 3 wins in the coming weeks playing full bore Dyche ball and we can be safe.

Nobody likes playing like this, and had we been comfortably mid table, even under Dyche, I'm sure we would be playing a different brand of football.

As mentioned above, we just need to not lose against Forest and Luton. We win one or both of those games and we'll be OK.
I agree with everything except your penultimate paragraph.

Dyche only plays one way. Where is your evidence to suggest otherwise?

If we can get a point on chelsea on Monday it would be huge. Then we just need to match luton’s results (with a game in hand - albeit the derby)

Have to be looking at being three points clear going into that final game - like you said the gd to luton is an extra point.

I think the key now is do Luton have an away win left in them? They should've done that at Bournemouth but completely blew it from 3-0 up.

They have Wolves away with their injuries and comfortable in mid table so they'll be targeting that. Also similar scenario to last season in their last away is at West Ham as it was for Leeds.

I wasn't confident on that last season as that was following their Europa SF. However despite quickly going 1-0 down West Ham turned it round and were very comfortable winners in the end.

This season they'll probably get knocked out by Leverkusen but they're still in the mix for 6th place so that won't be a meaningless game for them at all.

Of course Luton could just win their three remaining home games instead but I think that's a big ask for them.

Basic formula imo is don't lose at Luton as I think that will be enough with getting two more home wins.

Its never going to go to plan like that.
Unfortunately my negative side in this. Luton and forest have a few surprise wins in them. I dont really see that with Everton. We have a few draws in games i dont expect to win possibly.
You can guarentee the home games against forest and brentford are going to be torture simply because we never score enough to be comfortable. One things for certain. We cant go into the last game away to arsenal needing a result.
Did you think we would win at Brighton last season?

Yup. Safe or not - we should go there, have a proper go, and try and scrape a result, putting two fingers up to everyone and finishing off with a spirited bang!

Dont want to do the RS any favours like, but really not that arsed if City or Arsenal win the title. Would probably prefer City, to wind up the RS even more :)

Dyche's system works well away from home so although there are a few winnable home games, this team
cannot create and lacks quality. My bet - if you were to give me odds - is that EFC will pick up points at Chelsea and Luton
and drop some home ones against Forest and Brentford.