2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Huge pick me up that, knowing he's leaving at the end of the season!
Doing a fantastic job of shop window’ing himself. Maybe he’ll take year off and write another book about a formation he can’t get his manager to use, or about how pace isn’t required in the modern game. DofF my backside.

Given he is the only proper permanent director (ignoring Mosh who has everyone at the club blocked), if he hasn’t already had a face to face with Tarks, Coleman, Pickford (3 captains) and Doucs to ask whether they believe the players are willing to follow Dyche’s instructions (whether they be right or wrong), then his next job shouldn’t be in football.

Suspect he will end up at one these stat tracking agencies in order to guarantee he never has to give a public opinion on anything. Doff shouldn’t need to be seen or heard, but in the leadership vacuum since the board was paid handsomely to leave, Kevin should have (whether it made him uncomfortable or not) stepped forward, dragged the club along until the ownership and hierarchy was sorted, and most importantly been the voice of the club, so a ginger manager didn’t have to answer questions on takeovers and appeals. Chong looked like a hostage when he had to do it.

Instead we got some nice statements when things were going ok and we were having lots of shots, then an uplifting one telling us not to expect any new signings. Presumably since then has been busy scouring the SubWays and Starbucks of Europe looking for a mid 20s striker that slipped through the net of the academy process (because Kev can spot a marksman better than every European club combined who are all desperate to unearth a gem that will set them up financially for a decade).

Will escape any blame, much like our former CFO.

Doing a fantastic job of shop window’ing himself. Maybe he’ll take year off and write another book about a formation he can’t get his manager to use, or about how pace isn’t required in the modern game. DofF my backside.

Given he is the only proper permanent director (ignoring Mosh who has everyone at the club blocked), if he hasn’t already had a face to face with Tarks, Coleman, Pickford (3 captains) and Doucs to ask whether they believe the players are willing to follow Dyche’s instructions (whether they be right or wrong), then his next job shouldn’t be in football.

Suspect he will end up at one these stat tracking agencies in order to guarantee he never has to give a public opinion on anything. Doff shouldn’t need to be seen or heard, but in the leadership vacuum since the board was paid handsomely to leave, Kevin should have (whether it made him uncomfortable or not) stepped forward, dragged the club along until the ownership and hierarchy was sorted, and most importantly been the voice of the club, so a ginger manager didn’t have to answer questions on takeovers and appeals. Chong looked like a hostage when he had to do it.

Instead we got some nice statements when things were going ok and we were having lots of shots, then an uplifting one telling us not to expect any new signings. Presumably since then has been busy scouring the SubWays and Starbucks of Europe looking for a mid 20s striker that slipped through the net of the academy process (because Kev can spot a marksman better than every European club combined who are all desperate to unearth a gem that will set them up financially for a decade).

Will escape any blame, much like our former CFO.

Absolutely spot on.

….i know I’ve never hidden my discontent with him. I’ve described him as somebody who ‘talks the talk’ but doesn’t produce. He’ll impress owners but football people will see through him.

For his many advocates on here and those who’ll decide on his future this summer, ask this one question;

Will there be a host of clubs queueing for his services as a DOF if Everton don’t renew his contract?

well we can, we’re just looking in the wrong markets. Zat mentions Asprillia at Watford, why wouldn’t we buy him for £2m (what Watford paid) loan him out for 12-18 months and then have him ready for the first team.

We did it Branthwaite.

Don’t let the failure of our Director of Football blindside reality. We don’t have the money to compete, so change your business model.

Not Everton, nah we’ll just buy players we can barely afford and hope they make it, rather than buying a few with potential and developing them. Some make it, some don’t, we’ll recoup our money on the ones that don’t either through loans or sales
But you can’t get it right all the time. When we signed a Portuguese U21 striker, don’t you think they were trying this?
Like you said some work (branthwait) some don’t. Some we still don’t know eg Chermiti.
It seems you accept that some work some won’t, apart from the some won’t part

But you can’t get it right all the time. When we signed a Portuguese U21 striker, don’t you think they were trying this?
Like you said some work (branthwait) some don’t. Some we still don’t know eg Chermiti.
Chermiti will cost us £14m, not £2m

There’s no development plan for him he’s just sitting in the bench and getting minutes here and there.

So no it’s not remotely the same

Chermiti will cost us £14m, not £2m

There’s no development plan for him he’s just sitting in the bench and getting minutes here and there.

So no it’s not remotely the same
Exactly, and this is the annoying thing, not planning to loan and not getting enough time either.

And it's 15m spent on a player that is not an immediate ready to make the squad better, maybe in 2-3 years.

Thing will be the price range we maybe have for 3-4 players at max in summer, and they need to be these players to make the team better, but these are firstly very popular and 2ndly not easy to find.

Think the cost of Chermiti is the issue there mate!

£12m could of been spent in other ways, i.e a first team ready player i.e. Kluivert, Sander Berge, Chong, Murillo, Vini Souza etc

£12m could of been spent in other ways, i.e a first team ready player i.e. Kluivert, Sander Berge, Chong, Murillo, Vini Souza etc

We have paid zilch so far for him.

The main reason we have signed him is because of the payment terms.

The only money we spent this summer was the Danjuma loan fee.

Kluivert is the only comparable here as a forward. He had been loaned around and struggling for goals everywhere, not a double figures goal scorer. Not sure we would have been that excited about him.

Chemiti doesn’t look a good player to me by the way… but I guess the at 19 not many strikers make an impact in the premier league and the thought process is that his ceiling is going to be higher.

The rest cost a similar amount but midfield / defence which tend to have less of a premium. 19 year old striker with potential will always cost more than other positions with a similar trajectory

Kluivert is the only comparable here as a forward. He had been loaned around and struggling for goals everywhere, not a double figures goal scorer. Not sure we would have been that excited about him.

Chemiti doesn’t look a good player to me by the way… but I guess the at 19 not many strikers make an impact in the premier league and the thought process is that his ceiling is going to be higher.

The rest cost a similar amount but midfield / defence which tend to have less of a premium. 19 year old striker with potential will always cost more than other positions with a similar trajectory
He was of course nowhere near his dad, but was good at Valencia surely.

I think if our new overlords 777 really wanted to keep him around when they eventually take over(god knows when) he would have been given a contract extension by now. Feel for him in a way he's trying to put out 40 fires with a water can with holes in the bottom.

Exactly, and this is the annoying thing, not planning to loan and not getting enough time either.

And it's 15m spent on a player that is not an immediate ready to make the squad better, maybe in 2-3 years.

Thing will be the price range we maybe have for 3-4 players at max in summer, and they need to be these players to make the team better, but these are firstly very popular and 2ndly not easy to find.

The issue i see is that if he had a handful of starts it would be seen as gaining experience. He hasnt had that so perhaps were all seeing something that will happen next season, after all hes only 19.

We'll need one of Beto or DCL to be sold to have Chermiti step up as 2nd choice.

I wonder how hes rated in Portugal now as hes their u21 centre forward and seems to be rated above others he was competing with when he was in Portugal.

Remember we paid zero down for him. I think it likely all of the others you named would have involved some downpayment.

Its not as simple as the fee, its the structure.

I think if our new overlords 777 really wanted to keep him around when they eventually take over(god knows when) he would have been given a contract extension by now. Feel for him in a way he's trying to put out 40 fires with a water can with holes in the bottom.

We'll see when they takeover. Doubt anything will be done until then and we can see that in terms of players' extensions.