Match Thread Everton v Nottingham Forest - Pre-Match Chat, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I watched it on MotD. I didn’t think the 3rd one was nailed on either. Thought he got a touch on the ball and ball then spun up.

Blue tinted glasses ?
I thought the same.

First incident was very soft. Reyna planted his foot after any initial contact then went down. I don't think there was enough contact to go down and therefore no penalty.

Second incident the claim for handball well after handball was not given against Jack Grealish against Chelsea for a handball in blocking a goal bound shot from a free kick and having 10 yards to avoid contact, given this was a similar type of handball with the arm coming down from an unnatural position and only 1 yard not 10 yards away then this was not handball and not going to be given as a penalty. Further, the threshold for what constitutes handball has seemingly been increased in the most part later in the season for teams in the Premier League.

Third incident I thought Young got a touch on the ball but may have got there a fraction too early and therefore it was a foul. Similar to American Football when a defender makes contact slightly too early with an offensive player before they have received the ball which draws a flag. Without VAR I wouldn't expect a penalty to have been given but with VAR I would expect a penalty to have been awarded. Even so, it wasn't completely clearcut to me - it wasn't like a player went past another player, defender slides in makes no contact with the ball and brings down the player. Clear foul and a classic penalty.

I didn't think any of them were 100% clearcut penalties and I have imo seen Forest on the end of even poorer decisions this season so I can understand their frustration to an extent but the same applies to Everton as well who have also had some shocking decisions against them.

The handball should have been a penalty, but I still don't think they deserved anything from the game.

They should be more worried about the way they were constantly standing off and giving up territory in midfield. Everton were walking through unchallenged all day.

Gana Gueye is the key to today....someone to properly patrol in front of a back four that’s just had its ass handed to it on a plate, and to keep Gibbs White in check. Why we’re releasing Idrissa I really don’t know. He’s not the player he was but he’s by far and away our best defensive midfielder.
Nervous already about a game that should in normal times be an absolute formality - oh how we’ve fallen in the last few decades.
Three huge games at the Old Lady in the space of 7 days that could potentially decide if she’ll grace Premier League football for a final season before she’s sadly laid to rest. We need to be 100% behind them for 90 odd minutes today because effectively our Clubs future depends on it.....let’s have Goodison snarling today and not get turned over by the likes of Chris Woods and Divock Origi.

Good breakfast, some strong coffee and hit the road for Goodison. UTFT’s.
Spot on Tony - never in doubt :).... makes Wednesday a bit of a 'free-hit' if there is such a thing. Maybe we can relax and let Chermitiaand Danjuma destroy Klopps final fling.

Was getting ready to go the game when my daughter decided to go into labor had miss game great win and I'm a grandad with a little granddaughter... funny how your day changes lol get in there blues
Have they got a name yet? I recommend Norbert in honour of our beautiful Portuguese striker. You'll be cursing us with bad luck if you don't do it!

The last one is a nailed on pen, the other two debatable, but we’ve had some absolute shockers not given to us this season, and we’re still in the debit column for PMGOL and VAR.

Not sure what Forest are after with the statement - most of the non-scab 6 sides have had shockers throughout the season, look at wolves ffs.

The guardian with a strange view of the home crowd. Thought the crowd was decent yesterday from the start, and any frustration wasn’t that people wanted it “lumping in the box” quicker.

IMG_1166.jpeg

Think the third penalty shout we may have got lucky with. I have to say I have some sympathy for Forest and admire the way they stand up for themselves as a club as they did with their points deduction, whereas our board accept everything with a "thank you for the slap, and thank you for not slapping us even harder" attitude. If Young did what he did against a SkySix club they get at least two pens guaranteed. Mind you, we were well due a few VAR decisions in our favour and hopefully get a couple more before this season's done. UTFT!

The guardian with a strange view of the home crowd. Thought the crowd was decent yesterday from the start, and any frustration wasn’t that people wanted it “lumping in the box” quicker.

View attachment 253708
Bloody Guardian, I didn't get that feeling at all. The only thing I felt was that we were passing it about too much at the edge of their box before our goal rather than taking a punt at goal and that's where both goals eventually came from.

Don't know what the fuss about Forest and the penalties was all about. None of them should have been given according to the rules of the game.

Check yourself, Law 14.

No penalty should be given when Mark Clattenburg is at Goodison
Except when we're playing Liverpool and one of them is touched in or around the area.