Match Thread Everton v Nottingham Forest - Pre-Match Chat, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The handball should have been a penalty, but I still don't think they deserved anything from the game.

They should be more worried about the way they were constantly standing off and giving up territory in midfield. Everton were walking through unchallenged all day.
That's the one I thaught was least like a penalty.

Today also highlights how unlikely VARs are to overrule their mates. Its a shambles all around. Just bin it off.
I think this is something that isn't talked about enough in all the discussion about VAR. Some of the refs are clearly reluctant to go against their friends. I mean, it's understandable as a human being, but it alters the outcome of how they're doing their job.

I won't get into the first two incidents, as we can go back and forth on those forever. But the third one: from where I was sitting (seeing it from behind Young / Hudson-Odoi), when I saw it happen live, it looked like a penalty to me. Then Anthony Taylor did the universal hand motion for the player having gotten the ball and waved it off. Now, having seen it on replay, it looks very much like Young did not in fact get any of the ball. So what I don't understand is how the VAR can see that on video and not think that he should at least send Taylor over to look at it again for himself.

I can understand it not being given in real-time, as it was a split-second judgment over whether he touched the ball or not, but I can't see any justification for VAR not getting involved.

Well Dermot says the handball would have been harsh and the Reyna one wasn’t a penalty. 2-1 then. We won in the fantasy world too.

Great result, the 3 points added to our league total will not make Masters happy. Can't force the game to be replayed.

I have thought for some time we should shoot more from distance than trying to work it in or near the 6 yard box.

As to the penalties :-

The first claim, the forest player was quick to go to ground and rolling in agony, did he think his foot was chopped off. Not deliberate, for me no pen.

His arm was out to balance him and was out before ball was kicked. For me np pen.

Again quick to go to ground, do not think it was deliberate, for me no pen.

So I agree with the Ref and VAR.

The third is a penalty. He goes to ground from behind and doesn't get the ball.

The handball is the most inconsistent call in the game today, the rule makers have botched it. But it's not a penalty, his arm is not in an unnatural position and it's far to close to him to react.

The first is too soft, no way that's a penalty.

The statement though...what a bunch of losers. They are such bad losers they hired a loser ex ref to put out loser statements giving them cover for their loser results.

If, like me, you enjoy those away fans who video defeats at Goodison

they didn't seem too bad, not 'banter bells'
The view from their seat was 'No Penalties'
Not until they watched it back on a screen did they see it different;

Screens - part, if not nearly ALL, of the VAR problem.??

We won't get that much luck again for a long time and certainly not in the Derby

Last edited:
Thought about it. And I don't feel guilty at all for those pen decisions.

We got 10 point deduction for a smaller breach than theirs and they got 4 points.

Having said that. I feel for them as co victims of PL BS