2023/24 Sean Dyche

That’s what we are lacking up front, a bit of ruthlessness, a bit of class. Look at the goal he scored at Chelsea in the cup , smashed it in first time without giving their defence a chance to react. We really lack that kind of sharpness and split second thinking.

I’m tired of us going for the target man type, we need other options not just more of the same.
Quinn & Philips was a lot of fun.
Think the game has evolved a bit since, it'll come back, but we're in a different part of the cycle. We're suffering from a lack of pace especially out wide. We stitched a side together previous by utilising hard working full backs to offer the option, but we don't even have that anymore. Assembled a hotchpotch of players that specifically do not compliment one another. Like an ikea set of instructions of how not to assemble a side.

That’s what we are lacking up front, a bit of ruthlessness, a bit of class. Look at the goal he scored at Chelsea in the cup , smashed it in first time without giving their defence a chance to react. We really lack that kind of sharpness and split second thinking.

I’m tired of us going for the target man type, we need other options not just more of the same.
I don’t know how players are taught nowadays, but proper goalscorers are as rare as hen’s teeth.

I did the maths, Moyes spent I think it was 13million NET over 11 years.

But to be fair it was a different world back then.

We paid 5m for Jags and Lescott, both of those would cost you 20m+ in this era.
Arteta for 2m
and Cahill was only about 1.5m
Pienaar wasn't far off that

We signed Young initially as left back cover. I would’ve gone for Kieran Tierney on loan and mentioned it at the time. But regardless, there are absolutely hundreds of alternatives to 38 year old Ashley Young out there. There is simply no excuse for signing a 38 year old outfield player, none whatsoever. It should never happen.
Have you considered:
Kieran tourney wasn’t available
We had no money and Ashley young was all that was available to us
Our squad is so bad he is the finest option.

Let’s face it Everton is dead
We are a zombie club
Lurching from one relegation struggle to another
Stripped of all purpose except survival
The last time we had anything to celebrate was 1995
We have been irrelevant for nearly 3 decades
We think people care we’ve only been relegated twice
No one but us cares about our survival
Our decline has been a gradual one .
But we have accepted it.
Dyche is the symptom not the cause.
And as if that decline wasn’t enough we have now been saddled by stadium we can’t afford and will be a millstone around our neck for at least a generation.
But none of that means we can’t aspire to playing some form of football , not this dead eyed stuff Dyche serves up .
If we are doomed to continue our irrelevant meaningless mid table existence let’s at least try to do it trying to play a form of football that hints at what we once were , even if we are destined to never emulate it .
I would love to look forward to going to the match again , instead of regarding it as a chore that must be done .
I would like to think that Dyche is the closest the thing we have to turning the corner.
Whether you like it or not the last two seasons could have been a lot worse. A false step with the manager we would have been down.
I’m not saying Dyche is the answer to us playing champions league football but he has been key at keeping a limited squad up last season and up again this season with a point deduction.
The first step for progress is stop the rot, aNd radual improvement.
If we invest in four quality players then maybe we can push on.
The clubs priotity seems to be - invest nothing, get ffp back on track, and stay in the league.
Until that priority changes don’t expect to be entertained