2023/24 Sean Dyche

I've said from day 1 that Dyche's job this season is to keep us up with as many games to spare as possible. If not for the points deductions, we'd be sat on 38 points and mathematically safe with 5 games still to play. Even with the points deductions we're more than likely going to stay up. Job done.

I've seen a lot spoken about the current bottom 3 being the worst ever, and there are stronger teams coming up next season. Now, that may be true, but the last time a team on 38 points would have been relegated is all the way back in the 2010/2011 season, when the bottom looked like this:

View attachment 253904

So a 'stronger bottom 3' certainly doesn't automatically mean we're done for next season. We stayed up last season on 36 when the bottom 3 (on paper at least) seemed stronger than those now.

For what it's worth, given the 'noise' surrounding this season, I think he's done/is doing a good job. A Sean Dyche Everton is not an Everton I want to see, but I'll give him credit for keeping a club that is in the hideous state we are currently in at least relatively stable from a footballing point of view. We've gained a lot of points from the teams in and around us and nicked the odd one or two from those positioned higher up the table... Over the years, how often have we lamented dropping points in games we 'should' be winning? For the most part, Dyche has managed that.

I don't think he's going anywhere unless our ownership situation is sorted out.
I mean we picked maybe the best season for points deduction and also a bad run of games. No team of the bottom exploited that luckily. Ok, the bottom 3 were better last year.

Last year you had Wolves, West Ham and Bournemouth playing a good 2nd half of them season, after being bottom 3 a lot of time the first of the season. We lost against them all in Dec-Jan 2023.

I have no problem with people who are an advocate of sacking Dyche but what do you expect from a new manager. The club can't afford to bring in better players and a 'better' manager is unlikely to bring out better performances from the existing players.
I would love to see a more possession based, free flowing, attacking style of football but does anyone honestly believe that Everton have the finances and the recruitment in place to have a squad capable of doing that by the start of next season?
As I've said before, whichever division we are in next season Dyche will, in my opinion, struggle next season, we have a team devoid of pace, we will more than likely sell Branthwaite and Onana. Danjuma and Harrison will be gone and Gomes, Gueye, Doucoure, Young and Coleman will all be out of contract. If Dyche is still here he is going be looking at past their best players on frees, or experienced players on loan, who can't get a game at their parent club. This is not the way to go, we should be looking to get promising prospects from top English and European clubs on loan and look at some young players to bring in permanently for small fees,

You just know that Evergreen Ashley and 60 grand will be given extensions and that Chris Wood and any other past it journeyman that Dyche can gather up will come on frees. It's going to be a very tricky summer for us and I am very concerned that Dyche will spend what little budget we have in the wrong way, he will then be allowed to go at the end of his contract and then next feller will be left with a couple of years with our slow slow team, unable to add a bit of pace because of the wage bill for these old plodders.

I mean we picked maybe the best season for points deduction and also a bad run of games. No team of the bottom exploited that luckily. Ok, the bottom 3 were better last year.

Last year you had Wolves, West Ham and Bournemouth playing a good 2nd half of them season, after being bottom 3 a lot of time the first of the season. We lost against them all in Dec-Jan 2023.

Oh yeah, agree regarding the points deduction... we had zero wiggle room the last couple of seasons this was the season to get them (not that we should, but that's a different conversation).

The point on the run of games... Yes it was a shocking run of form. The caveat being we played City and Spurs twice in that run and Man Utd away, I don't like talking about 'expected losses', but they are the kind of game where you would say getting anything from is a bonus, given where we're at. But, that doesn't excuse the lack of wins in that period.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter if we'd won the first 10 games of the season and nothing since, or nicely spread the wins out every 3 games played... you still end up with the same number of points on the board, and that's what matters come the end of the season. I realise it's not that simple because of confidence of both players and crowd etc can be impacted by runs of form.

Fair observation by Wenger?
Potentially he's right. The thing is, didn't he convert Henry from winger to striker?
The issue with the much fabled striker slot is that kids are being taught to work back, work hard, cover ground, apply the press, run run run. Jacks of all trades instead of focusing on the calmness to pick a corner of the goal and pass the ball into it.
The athleticism seems more prized than any natural ability. Players are commodities, and I want my commodity to be as useful in as many positions as possible thus making a sale that more achievable. Cash dollars money yo!

Wait, Dyche is really on £8m per year????? Nooooo.

Is that not money well spent when you factor in how much money he has saved the club surviving relegation for 2x consecutive seasons ?

Clubs like Aston Villa or Brighton may not be willing to pay a manager like Dyche that kind of salary, but those clubs are not in any real threat of relegation like we are.

Is that not money well spent when you factor in how much money he has saved the club surviving relegation for 2x consecutive seasons ?

Clubs like Aston Villa or Brighton may not be willing to pay a manager like Dyche that kind of salary, but those clubs are not in any real threat of relegation like we are.
Hello mate, how are the mushrooms?

Strange argument that
We save money by paying more for a manager that clubs higher up would not pay
Also implies that Emery or de Zerbi would not be able to save us from relegation and that any manger being paid less than 8mil wouldn't be able to save us
2mil per PL placing too remember

IGqT.gif

How much is Ange on? Seeing conte was on £15m+ and Postecoglu was on £2m+ at Celtic and rumoured to be getting five times that now.

Anyway, that doesn't change that fact that yes, we're criminally over paying Dyche
The postecoglou thing is something people fail to grasp time and time again you get so many posters suggesting that people who are on quite low wages now will accept similar wages when stepping up a level but it just doesn't work like that people want paying the market rate for the level they're at not just a little raise from their wages at a lower level.

Oh yeah, agree regarding the points deduction... we had zero wiggle room the last couple of seasons this was the season to get them (not that we should, but that's a different conversation).

The point on the run of games... Yes it was a shocking run of form. The caveat being we played City and Spurs twice in that run and Man Utd away, I don't like talking about 'expected losses', but they are the kind of game where you would say getting anything from is a bonus, given where we're at. But, that doesn't excuse the lack of wins in that period.

Ultimately though, it doesn't matter if we'd won the first 10 games of the season and nothing since, or nicely spread the wins out every 3 games played... you still end up with the same number of points on the board, and that's what matters come the end of the season. I realise it's not that simple because of confidence of both players and crowd etc can be impacted by runs of form.
You're making it sound like Dyche will be in charge of our tranfer policy. Isn't that Kevin Thelwell's job? He'll be here regardless of who the manager is next season. So if Thelwell is recruiting past their best players a new manager would have exactly the same problem.
What we need are young, pacy, hungry players from the lower leagues that can prove themselves at Everton's level. We need to unearth more players like Branthwaite what can do a job for us for a couple of seasons then help our financial situation when we sell them on for huge fees.

Strange argument that
We save money by paying more for a manager that clubs higher up would not pay
Also implies that Emery or de Zerbi would not be able to save us from relegation and that any manger being paid less than 8mil wouldn't be able to save us
2mil per PL placing too remember

Neither of those managers would entertain a club like us in our current position.

Lets look at the maths.

Cost of a relegation from the Premier League - say £80m just as a rough estimate.

If you owned the club, would you rather chance paying a unknown quantity from the mainland £4m a season and risk losing -£76m if he takes us down considering how poor our squad is.

Or do you pay Dyche £8m a season knowing that excess £72m from staying in the league is pretty much secure with knowing he's a much safer pair of hands.

And this is the problem, many of our fans on social media, they dont take the time to grasp an understanding of the clubs situation, its much easier to get their fix of dopamine by typing a few angry words and getting likes and retweets as a result of it. Some say these characters are twitter / forum fun boys, I would refer to them more as grifters tbh.