The Friedkin Group - Dan & Ryan Friedkin [19/07/2024] Purchase Talks Over.

What do we reckon?

• 👍

Votes: 571 68.0%
  • 🤷 | 🧀🥪

Votes: 234 27.9%
  • 👎

Votes: 35 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
TBF under Bill we lived within our means, albeit with a measure of debt mate, the difficulty he had was developing the business commercially, to broaden the base of income to fund football operations, that created the glass ceiling - one step away from the CL.

Was only when Moshiri came in that the business became unsustainable and dependent on him as a sugar daddy - then he walked away, leaving us in the Manure business.

Getting back to self sustainability will take a couple of years and that is Priority 1 for me.

But what really to keep an eye on, is broadening the base commercially - i like what these lids have done at Roma on that score.

Priority 2 is is to repair the reputation of the club, to be very frank Moshiri has taken the reputation, profile and heritage of this great institution and flushed it down the toilet - we are a laughing stock in football now, a no mark clubs you can come to and softly extract good players for cut price deals, a club to be bullied - aka what Utd are trying to do - a basket case many players wont want to touch via relegation battles and point deductions. we have hard yards to do to prove we are a serious club again both with out peers and those we hope to recruit and also those we look to do business with. Dyche's dignity, leadership and bravery gave us some and a little of our dignity and respectability back last year in my opinion.

Priority 3: Keeping our best players, you cant compete or build by every season selling your best players, right now we could be a serious team by having Richarlison, Gordon and Branthwaite in it - on the way building and competing, you get no where selling your best players and we are too happy to do it and to happy to accept it as fans. Im pragmatic in the sense players will want to move on and at times you have tot sell them, but should only be done when you get a ridiculous fee and you are fully compensated for their loss and then some.

Personally i just cant see past kenwright.

If it wasnt for Moyes we'd of been relegated and if that happened we'd of been done as a club. Even without relegation we could of gone into administration without the sales of assets such as rooney, arteta ect.

Kenwrights mo of hiring his mates or yes men over people who are actually good at their job is what nearly killed this club for me. Said it before Sunderland over a decade ago had a shirt sponsor worth £20mpa and ours was £1m. That was why we were in the crap.

Then he sold the club to the only jokers in town that would keep him in charge (strange that while kenwrightwas here the best we could get is 777 then now hes not here we have the pick of billionaires). Where he went ape with spending their money and made the club totally unsustainable without them. Then the war in Ukraine happened and the money stopped. Then people were asked to do their jobs but unfortunately kenwrights mates weren't good at them.

The oy good thing to come out of this club during kenwrights period in charge is the stadium and thats because he had sod all to do with it.

100% agree with you on being self sustaining though. Think that'll be friedkins first priority as well tbf. Positively i think that that'll be fairly easy though not immediate throught the new stadium and having a commercial department who will actually be good at bringing in sponsors.

As for priority 2 i think our reputation has been in the toilet since Martinez 2nd season tbh but under moshiri it got alot worse. Although personally I dont think dyche has really done much to change that. Think the only way that changes is by regularly getting back into the top half and not being run like a basketball club.

With your 3rd priority i think selling our best players is always going to be an issue. This league is set up so that any team outside of the top 6 is forced to sell their best players to them. Weve already seen how the PL enforcement of the PSR ruling had the big 6 hopeing to take other teams best players for cheap. Or the better a player becomes to us the more his agent will push for higher wages so the only thing we can do is either match their ambition and wages or sell them on.

If it wasnt for Moyes we'd of been relegated and if that happened we'd of been done as a club. Even without relegation we could of gone into administration without the sales of assets such as rooney, arteta ect.

Kenwrights mo of hiring his mates or yes men over people who are actually good at their job is what nearly killed this club for me. Said it before Sunderland over a decade ago had a shirt sponsor worth £20mpa and ours was £1m. That was why we were in the crap.

Then he sold the club to the only jokers in town that would keep him in charge (strange that while kenwrightwas here the best we could get is 777 then now hes not here we have the pick of billionaires). Where he went ape with spending their money and made the club totally unsustainable without them. Then the war in Ukraine happened and the money stopped. Then people were asked to do their jobs but unfortunately kenwrights mates weren't good at them.

The oy good thing to come out of this club during kenwrights period in charge is the stadium and thats because he had sod all to do with it.

100% agree with you on being self sustaining though. Think that'll be friedkins first priority as well tbf. Positively i think that that'll be fairly easy though not immediate throught the new stadium and having a commercial department who will actually be good at bringing in sponsors.

As for priority 2 i think our reputation has been in the toilet since Martinez 2nd season tbh but under moshiri it got alot worse. Although personally I dont think dyche has really done much to change that. Think the only way that changes is by regularly getting back into the top half and not being run like a basketball club.

With your 3rd priority i think selling our best players is always going to be an issue. This league is set up so that any team outside of the top 6 is forced to sell their best players to them. Weve already seen how the PL enforcement of the PSR ruling had the big 6 hopeing to take other teams best players for cheap. Or the better a player becomes to us the more his agent will push for higher wages so the only thing we can do is either match their ambition and wages or sell them on.

Nor can I, some famous quotes were, 'When I find to right owner I will walk away', 'We need to move to Kirby because Goodison is failing its health and safety regulations' people can blame Moshiri, but he was just a puppet for Kenwright and an easy mark so he could keep control of the club somehow

You can’t in one sentence say only Moyes kept us up, and then in the next say he only hired his mates to the detriment of the club.

Nor can I, some famous quotes were, 'When I find to right owner I will walk away', 'We need to move to Kirby because Goodison is failing its health and safety regulations' people can blame Moshiri, but he was just a puppet for Kenwright and an easy mark so he could keep control of the club somehow

I’m
Absolutely stunned there is 1 blue who still swollows this guys unmitigated BS ,even after the points deductions last season which were a direct punishment for wonderful bills running of the club,Moshiri only accelerated the decline but who was chairman up until the day he died

I’m
Absolutely stunned there is 1 blue who still swollows this guys unmitigated BS ,even after the points deductions last season which were a direct punishment for wonderful bills running of the club,Moshiri only accelerated the decline but who was chairman up until the day he died

I feel that is all Moshiri did, we were already in financial turmoil before he came on board, and we were rightly punished for 'having the best board in the premier league'

Would have a different take mate, i wouldn't be as polarised, i can see the good and bad on Bill - ive had a consistent position and given my reasons over the years. Id critique as opposed to being a herd follower.

I do however see how things come full circle, living through the years, when we had a somewhat sustainable run model under Bill we wanted a Billionaire, when we got a Billionaire - now we want to return to a self sustainable model. I realise its a little bit more nuanced then that and no interest in to getting into a dogmatic argument as there was certainly bad and good with Bill, but i do see the irony none the less.

We move on though - in terms of self sustainability there has to be three streams a facility led approach, broad based commercial improvement and impeccable recruitment - each of these three things will be the life blood of the club in terms of revenue generation.

In terms of our reputation football moves fast, look at Villa, relegated in the last few years - now poster boys for breaking the glass ceiling. Next season is one of recovery and if we can have a boring one - it will be a good one. Next season is also a fantastic opportunity to showcase the club - it will have wall to wall media with Goodison and the new ground, we cant waste that opportunity to show case and improve the profile of the club and its attractiveness.

Selling players in my opinion is also nuanced - there needs to be dictating factors - as with Gordon and maybe Branthwaite - you dont want to sell them young or one season after breaking into the team - you want them to sit here percolate, improve, contribute, appreciate and sell older - unwillingly for a premium fee - like WHU did with Rice and Spurs with Kane. Getting the maximum number of years out of them here but also a return at a premium - out deals arent done on our terms anymore - we need to change this. There will be a measure of playing trading in recovery until you convince players that we have ambitions here - see what Arsenal did with Fabergas and Sanchez or Spurs with Bale - until they could keep the likes of Saka and Kane.

If PSR is the only game in town then you have to create revenue and the above is how we do it IMO. Spurs and Arsenal and maybe even WHU need to be our template.

Last edited:
You can’t in one sentence say only Moyes kept us up, and then in the next say he only hired his mates to the detriment of the club.

why not? Thats exactly what happened.

Lets not forget kenwright is the guy that craped his keks and gave Martinez a bumper new 5 year deal after his first season that ment we couldnt afford to sack him even though he was dragging us towards relegation.

All the AGM talk is a bit daft.

Even if all the minor shareholders agreed on a point the impact on the club is a flybite on a dogs arse. When a group owns 94% plus it genuinely doesn't matter what the rest of us think.

Everton AGMs have always been a bit of a joke, an opportunity for Luvvie to meet his adoring public, answer a couple of pre-vetted "questions from the floor" and if a rogue Evertonian slipped through the net he'd belittle them for having the nerve to question his leadership credentials.

If I were given the option (as a multi shareholder myself) of reinstating AGMs or having regular, meaningful updates from various people in the leadership team id take that every time.

If stakeholders (not only shareholders) want to put something to those in charge they should put if to the FAB to raise at their regular club meetings. You'd hope that the new owners take these meetings more seriously than under the leadership of DBB. I get that people are suspicious of the FAB but they're good people, and already have an in. They're not club stooges in any way.

By the way, Damo, if your that serious about buying an Everton share the next online asset match auction happens at the end of July. They traded 48 individual shares before Christmas at £3'700 each.

The issue is that does not give ALL shareholders the chance to voice their views

Whereas an AGM does

Additionally, I'm not too impressed with the EFCSA leadership. (When you criticise running or the views of theirs you get people defending each other).

I'm liable to remain an independent shareholder as a consequence.

The issue is that does not give ALL shareholders the chance to voice their views

Whereas an AGM does

Additionally, I'm not too impressed with the EFCSA leadership. (When you criticise running or the views of theirs you get people defending each other).

I'm liable to remain an independent shareholder as a consequence.
But you aren't a shareholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back