Hating every managerial name put forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is exactly why I'm saying you're not understanding what people are saying. You're still talking as if people mean actual CVs when they're just using it as catch all term for previous performance.

Potter has a good CV in terms of a job like ours. He's shown he can stabilise league position in the PL, introduce a new style of play, get players not seen as 'good footballers' to play a possession based game, and improve performance over time. The tactical acumen you're talking about is his CV in this sense, it's not the document he brings with him to interview, it's the previous work he's done that allows us to decide whether he looks like a good option or not.

Pereira has a poor CV in terms of coming in to do a job for us right now - he has no experience at all in a top 5 league, has been relegated in his only experience of a relegation battle, and his performance has deteriorated in recent years. His record also suggests that he may be motivated far more by money than glory or challenges.

If you were looking to appoint someone with a view to winning the Portuguese league or Chinese Super League though, Pereira's CV suddenly starts to look more impressive than Potter's. The key is to look at how suited they are to the job at hand, not just the number of trophies they've won. People with good CVs can still fail, and people with bad CVs can still succeed, it's not an exact science, but there isn't a better way of judging candidates really.

I understand that fully. But I don't think thats how some are using that argument which is my point. They're using it lazily towards one candidate and not the other.

The idea is to use it as a comparison to the situation. Lampard gets labelled as this guy who bloodied youth, plays "progressive" football. Periera...managed in China. If we're talking CV in your perspective... surely you talk tactics and accumin leveled at both?

People aren't doing that.

Have you noticed?

No matter who's name is touted - a thread appears ripping him to shreds.

The problem is, people will always disagree with the name that YOU think should take over - and that basically means that no matter what happens YOU will not back the new man.

** You is the generic term to apply to every possible solution ** ;) :coffee:

it’s a forum to debate mate and if he’s crap then he’s crap

I understand that fully. But I don't think thats how some are using that argument which is my point. They're using it lazily towards one candidate and not the other.

The idea is to use it as a comparison to the situation. Lampard gets labelled as this guy who bloodied youth, plays "progressive" football. Periera...managed in China. If we're talking CV in your perspective... surely you talk tactics and accumin leveled at both?

Yeah that's a slightly different argument I suppose, it's just people showing their bias.

Lampard hasn't got enough of a record for us to really know too much about how he'd go about things or how well he'd do. His work up to now - for me - is very middle of the road, and he could go either way from there. I can certainly see why people favour him over Pereira though, for the reasons I listed in my last post. It's just the same as with players really, imagine we were linked with 2 players:

1. Pictor Vrereira - Top goalscorer in Portugal a couple of times 10 years ago and then same in Greece, spent the last 7 years not doing very well in Turkey and the German second tier, and a couple of spells chasing the money in China and Saudi. Now aged 29.

2. Lanky Frampard - Good season in the Championship as a kid, got a big move to Chelsea where he scored a decent amount in his first season, didn't kick on in the second season and got replaced by someone who blew his scoring record out of the water, still only 22.

There'd be absolutely no argument about which one of them we should sign, everybody would want the lad who didn't have a lot of experience because they'd be hoping there was more to come from him, and would see the other bloke as past his best. That's all that's happening here.

Giving kids a chance is one thing, but that's taking it a bit far.

Go out on a limb here.

If we had a graphic for all hate about anything spilled on GOT, I reckon most of comes from people under 30 years old.
Not all of it, much of it.

Prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.