2022/23 Anthony Gordon

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are so so bad at the transfer market. Like the worst club in the past decade at this. It seems like no one in the league is better at selling low and bidding against ourselves for players we want. Chelsea seems to really want the guy, so stick a huge price tag on him (say 1/3-1/2 more of what Chelsea offered) and stick w/ the price, it sends a message to the player that hey, we'll sell you, they just have to meet our price and maybe they just don't you all that much if they don't spend (not to mention that there are other clubs who would want him). It also sends a message to other clubs that if you want our players, we'll name the price. Clubs like spurs/RS do this, and they always get their money. FFS Spurs got 50+M for Kyle Walker and that was 5 years ago. Not to mention Chelsea just ponied up 60M for Pulisic a couple years back, a dude who lost his starting position at Dortmund, they'll pay.
Walker and Pulisic were far, far better and more established than Gordon is now.

Pricing ourselves out of a deal that is already far better than we could reasonably have hoped to expect is sheer idiocy, all for the sake of posturing. Get them as close to £50m as possible, and absolutely rip their hand off.

Would be proper Everton for us to turn down an offer the one time most fans are seemingly happy to sell

Happiness seems to be based entirely on the assumption that the money will be immediately spent wisely. Can't say i'm thrilled with the links (Che Adams especially), and our recruitment team is utter bobbins, so the happiness is a little perplexing.

I don't see it. On the ball, Barkley at his age was producing the odd bit of magic (long range goals, mazy runs) and it was all about consistency with him.

Gordon's got the odd turn and grafts hard.

Gordon has a far better football head on his shoulders and a better attitude and work ethic. He will have a far better career, even if he does have less natural ability.

Gordon has a far better football head on his shoulders and a better attitude and work ethic. He will have a far better career, even if he does have less natural ability.

Sure to become a solid player. Plenty of them in the premiership.

Think the point I'm making was that more people wouldve been willing to keep Barkley cos you could see a higher ceiling than Gordon in the same situation

Sure to become a solid player. Plenty of them in the premiership.

Think the point I'm making was that more people wouldve been willing to keep Barkley cos you could see a higher ceiling than Gordon in the same situation

Ross had serious natural talent and could do things very few players could do. But when I look at his career I just think what a waste of top level talent.

But I see Gordon getting the very maximum out of his ability and keeping improving.

Yup I concur.

Rooney or Brown shoes as manager by next summer at the latest

I wonder about Martinez you know. His comments on Onana, and likely telling him to go to Everton seemed odd.

Obviously discussions were had last spring. You look at time scales, and unless Lampard performs a bit of a miracle, we will be in bother.

Utter madness of course, but between Kenwright, Baxendale and Moshiri what would you expect?

Ross had serious natural talent and could do things very few players could do. But when I look at his career I just think what a waste of top level talent.

But I see Gordon getting the very maximum out of his ability and keeping improving.

I think that's probably right.

Barkley was probably the more talented, but Gordon will likely utilise his talents better.

Happiness seems to be based entirely on the assumption that the money will be immediately spent wisely. Can't say i'm thrilled with the links (Che Adams especially), and our recruitment team is utter bobbins, so the happiness is a little perplexing.

We were linked with Harry Winks too.

... we can get him an all if we have £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.