Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
The United team with the class of 92 in it would have won the square root of nothing without that VERY experienced top core of the team they supplemented around, and by the time those experienced players moved on, the class of 92 players then had that experience to carry on and build the team around

To be fair they won a lot at youth level.

That being said I remember a rare Paul scholes interview, where the interviewer joked about the "win nothing with kids" line. Scholes said they were right. They won the league down to cantona and Schmeichel carrying the younger players.

He doesn't compare to one individual player mate, it is about ensuring you have experience which is capable of adding to a youthful squad, Sigurdsson brings that, as does Rooney, and hopefully as will Giroud if he arrives.

because we have a LOT of inexperienced players who are likelyu to be playing a whole lot of games for us next season.

Pickford, Kenny, Keane, Davies, Sandro, - all 5 will play 30+ games and 4 are nailed on starters, and the most experienced of them is Keane wuith one full season - all the rest lack that so far.

Defence -- Coleman/Baines/Williams (also Jags)
Midfield -- Gueye/Schneiderlin/Klaassen (also McCarthy/Barry)
Attack -- Rooney/Mirallas/Bolasie

For me that's a lot of experienced players already....?

If you look at the attacking slots then DCL, Sandro and Lookman are still young but there are already a number of experienced players to 'guide them. I'd have preferred a Keite Balde from Lazio or another direct exciting player for the sort of money were talking about.

I suppose its basically guaranteeing 7/10 performance each game...

He doesn't compare to one individual player mate, it is about ensuring you have experience which is capable of adding to a youthful squad, Sigurdsson brings that, as does Rooney, and hopefully as will Giroud if he arrives.

because we have a LOT of inexperienced players who are likelyu to be playing a whole lot of games for us next season.

Pickford, Kenny, Keane, Davies, Sandro, - all 5 will play 30+ games and 4 are nailed on starters, and the most experienced of them is Keane wuith one full season - all the rest lack that so far.

Defence -- Coleman/Baines/Williams (also Jags)
Midfield -- Gueye/Schneiderlin/Klaassen (also McCarthy/Barry)
Attack -- Rooney/Mirallas/Bolasie

For me that's a lot of experienced players already....?

If you look at the attacking slots then DCL, Sandro and Lookman are still young but there are already a number of experienced players to 'guide them. I'd have preferred a Keite Balde from Lazio or another direct exciting player for the sort of money were talking about.

I suppose its basically guaranteeing 7/10 performance each game...

He had Tadic who had >2000 minutes each of his seasons there.

And it's an interesting thought but football has changed hugely in 30 years - can you name a single side better than us in world football who don't have a playmaker?

That's a really interesting point. I don't think anyone else has brought it up either.

To be fair they won a lot at youth level.

That being said I remember a rare Paul scholes interview, where the interviewer joked about the "win nothing with kids" line. Scholes said they were right. They won the league down to cantona and Schmeichel carrying the younger players.

United basically had Keeper/2centre backs/2centre mids/1forward all superb players and dropped in the kids around them. basically a really strong spine...

Players like Baines, Williams, Jagielka, Barry, Rooney, Schneiderlin, Gana, Klaassen and Rooney are almost like the ideal mentality you would want from seniors when dropping in a lot of kids throughout the squad.

Then look at the shelf lives of a few of them..3 seasons max.

I'm eager to see Pickford, Keane, Kenny, Holgate, Davies, Lookman and Sandro get a lot of games this season.

Is Sigurdsson seen as someone to help these kids along or ?

This thread fell off the front page. I'm not having it.

Just pay the money. Bring in 25 million for Jimmy Mac, everyone can bemoan the crazy prices in modern day football for a few minutes and then we can play Europa League with a quality player in the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back