Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

£40m Bid Made For Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigurdsson stats from this season compared to all other PL midfielders:

In the red (bad) zone for pretty much everything apart from number of shots taken and assists per touch of the ball.

The idea that he is some magnificent passer of the ball is not backed up by facts. He is pretty poor relative to the average PL midfielder.

Again, he's not playing midfield half the time for Swans so the comparisons are silly. It's like that ridiculous stat package where Ross had like 10 more chances created than Sigurdsson. Ross had the ball for twice the time as Sigurdsson, yet only created 10 more chances. You have to understand what he's being asked to do first.

I'm made up the club are taking their time on this one, we hold the cards, they have an unhappy player and need to find other players to replace him so will want this resolved quickly.

Which basically means the longer we drag it out the lower the fee.

Sigurdsson stats from this season compared to all other PL midfielders:

I have previously addressed in this thread, here. I will copy/paste what I said.

Sigurdsson created 9 of his 10 assists in 2014/15 in open play.

This means he can contribute in open play. Why did he then only register 5 last season?

Swansea's goal scorers last season

KcjnwsejR6aM3FS5JZQPUw.png

Llorente (ST), Fer (CM), Mawson (CB), Routledge (RW), Olsson (LB)

6 of Llorente's 15 goals were from set pieces. 8 headers.

3 of Fer's 6 goals were from set pieces.

4 of Mawson's 4 goals were from set pieces.

How is Sigurdsson going to get assists in open play, when none of his team mates are good in open play?

Gylfi's open play ability is on par or better than any other Playmaker in the league. He can shoot, cross, pass & through ball on both feet equally from anywhere on the pitch.

There is nobody, better than him on both feet. You wont see anybody shoot, score, cross, assist, through ball or back hell like him on both feet from anywhere on the pitch. His lack of speed and poor last season due to being played out of position & averaging only 27 passes per match is what made his open stats so poor compared to past seasons.

MerYoJF1STaUJD5wxOojyA.png

Between January 2015 & May 2016, Gylfi only officially registered 4 assists in 55 appearances, 7%.

Before and after that dry-spell, Sigurdsson registered 27 assists in 69 appearances, 37.5%

Sigurdsson shouldn't only be 4th place in the assist table over the past 3 seasons, 26 assists in 104 appearances is 24.5%

If he kept up his 37.5% assist ratio, then he would have 39 assists in 104 appearances according to the projected statistics.

He is 2nd in the goals/assists table, but should be leading it by a lot.

He's assisting with awful players compared to the top 7, and still 4th in the table. But it's not like he cant score goals in open play either.

Both feet, volleys, headers, inside or outside the box, either side of the pitch, low driven punts or curlers with finesse, free-kicks, penalties.. He offers everything in regards to scoring goals.

Everton is about to sign the most both footed shooter, passer & crosser in the league.

Good players in bad teams produce mediocre stats
Mediocre players in good teams produce good stats
Good players in good teams...go on...guess!!

Exactly what I mean.

2bxMTzjkSwCV5abLWqcc_g.png

You don't just suddenly go from 4 assists in 58 apps to 6 assists in 7 apps without having been improperly utilized.

From 7% assist ratio at Spurs to 26% at Swansea.

And then like I mentioned earlier, his 26% is actually dragged down from his 6 assists in 55 apps dry-spell, 11%. Remove that from his 124 apps & 32 assists and you'll get 26 assists in 69 apps. 37.5%

It might seem like cherry picking, but when you're playing for Swansea and you lose your best team mate Wilfried Bony.. It's going to take awhile to adjust, adapt or find a new striker. It took 1½ seasons for Swansea to sign Llorente.

When an analyst wrote an article about Sigurdsson maybe not being that good, he hounded him on Twitter, email AND Skype about it.

For another thing his use/grasp of stats and how to interpret them is just terrible.

Regarding Ted Knutson, I simply sent him an email, sent him a few tweet and even attempted to contact him on Skype regarding his poor analysis of Sigurdsson. You simply cannot brand a player ''poor in open play'' based on a single season. I made him aware of this, that is all. ''hounded'' is far from the truth, just like a lot of what you said in that post.

I post on reddit, I do admit that. I have said Sigurdsson is a better goal scorer & assister than Toni Kroos, as the statistics prove. I have not at all used Twitter other than that one attempt to contact the analyst I previously mentioned. Your portrayal of me and my actions is one of the most disingenuous and absurd things I have come across as a poster on any soccer forum I've visited so far.

Again...if he was THAT good why are mid-table sides after him? Why has he spent 4 years at Swansea? Why was he ousted by Eriksen after a season?

The idea that Spurs sent him out on loan to Swansea before swapping him for a full back says they were willing to sacrifice him

Youre making him out to be Xavi and Inesta combined when he's not.

Liverpool & Spurs were previously after him, Sigurdsson's a well-known United supporter so maybe he said no to Liverpool because of that? Which could rule out a move to City.

None of the top teams in the PL are after him because they are younger & faster Playmakers that they deem to have a higher ceiling/potential. Either way, statistically & technique wise none of those players can match him, not Eriksen not Ozil not Fabregas not de Bruyne.

Open play, assists, goals.. On either foot you cant name one planet capable of what I've shown you in those video's & with his weaker foot statistics.

Also, he has rejected offers from AC Milan/Inter/Roma/Dortmund. A £50 million offer from China was offered during January and Spurs were reportedly interested in him earlier this summer but chose to go for Barkley instead.

Eriksen never ''ousted'' him because he never played attacking midfielder for Spurs in the first place. Just like he never took free kicks, set pieces, corners or penalties for them. He played out of position, averaged 43 minutes per appearance, and plenty of other reasons why he didn't succeed nearly as well there as he has for Swansea.

Xavi & Iniesta have equal, or better both footed passing ability. Except they're much, much faster players. So they can execute passes faster and dribble past others in tight situations.

They do not possess his crossing ability on either foot, nor do they have his set pieces, free kicks, penalties, or defensive abilities. Which is why they can only play AM/CM and Sigurdsson can play anywhere in midfield or forward.

Whether or not if you choose to prioritize being smaller but superior at passing, or worse at that but superior in every other aspect completely depends on the XI, formation, role & players surrounding you.

I'd choose Sigurdsson over either of them any day of the week, but I'm obviously bias.

Again...if he was THAT good why are mid-table sides after him? Why has he spent 4 years at Swansea? Why was he ousted by Eriksen after a season?

The idea that Spurs sent him out on loan to Swansea before swapping him for a full back says they were willing to sacrifice him

Youre making him out to be Xavi and Inesta combined when he's not.

I'd rather we had signed Will Hughes for 8mil :o

I'm made up the club are taking their time on this one, we hold the cards, they have an unhappy player and need to find other players to replace him so will want this resolved quickly.

Which basically means the longer we drag it out the lower the fee.
Would rather we get everyone in and up to the same level of fitness, match fit as soon as, we haven't got the best of starts fixture wise.

None of them have a better weaker foot, none of them defend better, none of them can score goals like him, cross/shoot like him.

Only Fabregas's passing ability is similar to Sigurdsson's because Fabregas & Gylfi are the only both footed passers in the league. (Cazorla is injured)

So what prevents Sigurdsson from being talked about like those other players? He's slow and not very strong. That's. It.

They're not better, in fact none of them are. Why? Because they would have better statistics playing for a much better team. That's why.

Spurs were after him early on the season, but apparently chose Barkley over him because of the price tag & wage demand being higher than Kanes & Lloris.

But is Eriksen actually a better Player than Sigurdsson? You tell me. Here are his 15 assists last season.

2 or 3 of them shouldn't have even counted due to offside & deflections. That's the difference between finishing 2 assists above Sigurdsson and 1 below him.

And how many of the other assists aren't one bit impressive? Why is Eriksen being hailed as an open play genius when 7 of his 15 assists were from set pieces? Gylfi with 3 less open play assists is apparently crap in open play and Eriksen is the best in the league? Makes sense.

Heck, let's go one further and compare their last season statistics.

Y0QQFrmUQ_O2qZokofYq1A.png

Eriksen finished the season with 23 goals/assists, one more than Sigurdsson.

Yet there is no doubt who had the better season. Eriksen accumulates most of his goals & assists against the worst teams in the league in few games, Sigurdsson scores & assists evenly throughout the season, scoring 7 of his 9 goals against the top 8.

Now their statistics for Spurs & Swansea

Eriksen: 134 apps, 31 goals & 38 assists. 51.5%
Sigurdsson: 124 apps, 34 goals & 32 assists. 53%

21 of Eriksen's 31 goals are against Swansea/Sunderland/Southampton/Hull/West Brom

21 of Sigurdsson's 34 goals are against Chelsea/Everton/Tottenham/United/City/Arsenal

One player scores most of his goals against the worst teams in the league, besides Southampton & West Brom. The other scores most of his goals against the best teams in the league.

The fact that those players are younger mean nothing. Eriksen is heavily reliant on pace and will have a much shorter career in the PL than Sigurdsson, who never relied on pace or anything that he will lose with age.

Honestly I have no take/opinion or anything relevant to say about that. If I did then I would, but sadly I'm not fully aware of what went on/occurred with that whole thing. If I did then I would probably break the numbers down and try to compare their financial situations with a club like.. Swansea for an example.

I think he was referring to specific traits that Sigurdsson has an advantage over some of the other Playmakers. Like height, strength, heading, defensive ability, etc.

Which is true, this is what Barkley offers to the table. He might not pass like Fabregas, shoot like Coutinho or cross like de Bruyne but he will defend better than any of them. Win headers, bigger presence in both box's, and will set up or score the occasional goal.

This means Barkley can play CM/DM when those other Playmakers cant. He's still too technically limited to play any of the front 3 roles, but that's something Pochettino will try to improve. Barkley could become a more goal scoring/assisting version of Dembele, and could potentially be the missing key to Spurs winning the league.

But even if he doesn't start there, it's not like he was going to start here anyway. Rooney/Klassen are better in attack and his defensive duty isn't as much needed after Schneiderlin/Gueye began starting every match.

With those factors, plus Sigurdsson probably coming in.. It's obvious that it would be smarter to be a squad rotation player for Spurs than Everton. He'll definitely perform better than what Sissoko has, and will offer a different dimension going forward & in defense. I fully understand his decision to leave.

Fair enough opinion to have, but I disagree that Sigurdsson's price is inflated.

Name any starting Playmaker for the top 6, they'll be sold for £60-80+ million.

Do you believe being 1-2½ years younger is worth £10-30+ million more? All of those players HEAVILY rely on pace, which means all of those players will only play at this level up until they're 29-31 like what has happened with Rooney. Sigurdsson's whole style of play is based around being slower & weaker than his opponents, so he wont experience this until he's 36-38.

He's also injury free, having only missed 1 match for Swansea due to injury out of 131, and has spent a lot of his career benched which means his legs are fresher than someone like Michael Owen who notoriously was played too often at an early age which resulted in a short career.

Better players perform better with.. Better players.

Now, unless if you think Everton's players are worse than Swansea's.. Surely he'll perform better here?

I'll make this an easy comparison for myself.

Let's compare Swanesa's wingers & striker to.. Spurs. Past 3 seasons.

Swansea's Wingers

Routledge/Dyer/Montero/Barrow/Narsingh

255 apps, 13 goals, 21 assists. 51 apps on average each

Spurs's Heung-Min Son

62 apps, 18 goals, 10 assists. Only 2 seasons.

Son scored 1 more goal in one season for Spurs, than all 5 of Swansea's wingers have in the past 3 seasons.

Son has scored 5 more goals since joining the PL 2 years ago.

Swansea's Strikers

Llorente/Bony/Gomis/Oliveira

127 apps, 38 goals, 5 assists.

Spurs's Kane

102 apps, 75 goals, 13 assists.

Last season alone he scored 29 goals and created 7 assists in only 30 matches. At that rate, he could've scored 34-37 goals last season. Almost the same as all of Swansea's strikers in the past 3 seasons.

Obviously it's easier to get assists for Spurs than for Swansea or Everton. Because they'll want to win 5+ or more and have Son/Kane/Alli all capable of scoring outside the box.

Just look at how many of those games Eriksen scored or assisted in that were won by 4 goals or more, Sigurdsson hasn't ever had that luxury.

2 less assists than Eriksen last season. Remove those 2 ''assists'' vs Stoke in the beginning of the video and they're joint 2nd place, with Eriksen having 1 more open play assist & 1 less set piece.

Who is Damo? Is that Damon? I can assure you, whoever that is it isn't me.

Maybe none of the Top 6 teams are aware of how good he is?

Or if they did, then they probably deem KBD/Eriksen/Ozil/Fabregas/Mata/Coutinho/etc better than Sigurdsson, even though statistically he outperforms all of them.

It doesn't change the fact that his top 7 record is absurdly good, 30 goals/assists in 60 apps against them, a 50% contribution ratio. The highest of any Playmaker or any midfielder in the PL.

Barkley is considered a bigger talent, which is because he's similar or better than Sigurdsson defensively, but will never be better at scoring or assisting goals.

Besides, wasn't Sigurdsson well on his way to Liverpool at 22 years old? Didn't he decline them for Spurs? Why have AC Milan/Dortmund/Roma and other big clubs been after him if he's so bad?

£50 million is more than justifiable for arguably the best Playmaker in the worlds best league.

EOmcAytMSF_AKTEUeotoCw.png

Already have here

I might rate Sigurdsson a lot higher than Barkley but I sure don't think Barkley is nearly as bad as some people are making him out to be. So if you would like me to cover anything more regarding him, I will gladly do so.

Really? I know he was not playing his most effective position, but I recall him being one of Spurs best players every time he stepped on the pitch.

Bale transitioned from LW to RW/SS/CF because of Sigurdsson, which tripled his goal output.

Sigurdsson scored 2 goals against Chelsea in 2 apps, 2 goals/assists vs Inter, 2 goals in 1 app vs Norwich, late winners against Southampton/West Ham, and a goal in draws against Everton/Basel.

Oh yeah, and an assist against Arsenal in Spurs's only NLD win in 4 years, and scored plenty of beautiful goals for them. Along with a few others.

All of this, and he only started and finished 9 games in 58 appearances for Spurs in the PL.

Premier League stats for Spurs

2012/13

33 appearances, 1.221 min = 37 min on average

7 goals/assists = 175 min per goal/assist

Projected statistics: 90 x 38 = 3420/175 = 19.5 goals/assists

2013/14

25 appearances, 1.276 min = 51 min on average

5 goals, 0 assists = Goal every 255 min

Projected stats: 90 x 38 = 3420/255 = 13,4 goals

Europa League stats for Spurs

2012/13

11 appearances, 558 min = 50 min on average

4 goals/assists = 140 min per goal/assist

2013/14

8 appearances, 587 min = 73 min on average

0 goals, 3 assists = 195 min per assist

If you think that is crap, then you have very high standards my friend. But Sigurdsson has no business playing LW anyway, just look at how annoyed he is in this interview when he was still at Spurs.

Sure he wasn't at his best, but he didn't even take a single set piece, free kick or penalty for Spurs! Apparently the managers believed Kyle Walker & Tom Huddlestone were better at taking them.

Put him in the current Spurs side and he scores/assists 10-15 goals each.

There is no doubt in my mind over him being better than Eriksen, who doesn't score or assist nearly as many important goals.

If Gylfi can get 22 goals/assists for Swansea and 0 goals with his right foot in open play while averaging 27 passes per match and playing out of position with utterly ridiculous defensive responsibilities..

Surely a 30+ goal/assist combined season would be achievable?

Gilfy I know you have time on your hands with not travelling to America and all, but slobbing it in your boxies eating Jaffa cakes and writing novels on here about what a player you are is beneath you. Behave yourself.

Transfers have been made when players are injured.

Spurs care more about getting Barkley to replace Sissoko and potentially challenge for the title rather than focusing on a small & irrelevant operation that they were more than aware of.

He'll score more goals at CM than Wanyama or Dembele, he'll assist a similar amount of goals to Eriksen in open play (last season Eriksen had 8)

He'll defend better than Eriksen or Alli, and Pochettino will probably try to mold him into a Wanyama/Dembele DM except capable of scoring goals & assisting.

Regarding the price, £50 million takes awhile to prepare. It's not like you just bid for someone and it gets accepted with the first try. Everton have bit £25 mil, £27 mil, £30 mil, £32 mil, £40 mil, £40 mil + add-ons..

Do you think they'll just randomly stop now? Of course not. Swansea are getting their replacement and Sigurdsson proved he doesn't want to play for the club by refusing to go on the US tour.

Regarding the next preseason match, in two days. Although that's still in the US. So the next game Sigurdsson could potentially play is on the 29th against Birmingham.

Really? Because Sigurdsson in the past created 25 goals/assists in the championship, and 12 goals/assists in 18 appearances in the PL on loan in 2011/12.

22 goals/assists in the PL without a single open play goal on your right foot, along with no good open play goal scoring team mates.. 30+ could definitely be achieved.

Sigurdsson was already at 19 goals/assists in 28 apps last season. Then Paul Clement forces him in an even more extreme defensive role which made him only score 1 goal and get 2 assists in those last 10 matches.

19 divided by 28 = 68%. 22 divided by 38 = 58%

If he kept up the momentum in the first 28 matches, he would've had 25-26 goals/assists last season, which is only 4-5 less than what you're dismissing. He could without a doubt get 30+ goals/assists in one PL season.

zGHQb4O.gif

OJO1ku8nSDi0BfCVtffd0A.png
He's absolute dog dirt mate. No one wants him here. He'll be sold to Watford by January.
I've got a mate who gets litttle snippets of info from Swansea. (He works as a team photographer) and he reckons no one in the club particularly likes him as he's an arrogant prick!
Pinch of salt etc

Again, he's not playing midfield half the time for Swans so the comparisons are silly. It's like that ridiculous stat package where Ross had like 10 more chances created than Sigurdsson. Ross had the ball for twice the time as Sigurdsson, yet only created 10 more chances. You have to understand what he's being asked to do first.

So if he wasn't playing midfield then where was he playing? If it was in a front 3 why is he being compared to midfielders not attackers for his goals/assists. 4 open play goals doesn't look like the output of a £50m attacker.

2 less assists than Eriksen last season. Remove those 2 ''assists'' vs Stoke in the beginning of the video and they're joint 2nd place, with Eriksen having 1 more open play assist & 1 less set piece.

Oh ok, I'll just remove those then for you mate. I'll also remove some of Harry Kanes goals so that Lukaku was the best striker in English football.

Are there any other stats you'd like me to adjust to fit your argument a little better? I've removed 3 stone from my mrs, not actually, just in my own head, and I have to say I feel a lot better about going home to her tonight.

Oh ok, I'll just remove those then for you mate. I'll also remove some of Harry Kanes goals so that Lukaku was the best striker in English football.

Are there any other stats you'd like me to adjust to fit your argument a little better? I've removed 3 stone from my mrs, not actually, just in my own head, and I have to say I feel a lot better about going home to her tonight.

It's all a bit Kopite alternative league table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back