Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2016-2017 additions

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnydawg68

Chairperson, People's Front of Saint Domingo
Reading the article in the Echo this morning with Phil Jagielka, got me thinking about what our needs actually are for the summer transfer window.

Obviously this depends on if we lose anyone important, but assuming we give them all new contracts and they agree to give it one more season to get in the CL with Everton...what do we really need?

From the article: "Martinez will be given the funds by Moshiri this summer to bolster his squad with big-money signings and Jagielka believes the Blues are only an "exciting few tweaks" away from being regular contenders for Champions League qualification.

But the Blues skipper insists there is no need for the club to go wild in the transfer market.

"The fans can see the potential in this squad but if you can go and buy that one extra, special player then it will be nice," Jagielka told the ECHO.

"But let's be honest, we've spent pretty decent money in these last couple of seasons and the chairman has done well."

We all know we've underachieved this season, and with Robles solidifying the keeper position, and the addition of Niasse (still don't know if he's the genuine article, but we paid enough to assume he will at least be productive in some role), along with the potential progress of the lads in the U21s (Dowell, Ledson, Walsh, etc. for potential bench depth, What do we really need?

Not saying we go into next season with the exact same squad, but Yarmalenko aside, are there really any areas that are demonstrably weak? We've shipped goals this year, but that seems to have been fixed and it's not down to talent in my opinion.

Assuming we all want Yarmalenko...who else or what positions should we target for recruitment?

Reading the article in the Echo this morning with Phil Jagielka, got me thinking about what our needs actually are for the summer transfer window.

Obviously this depends on if we lose anyone important, but assuming we give them all new contracts and they agree to give it one more season to get in the CL with Everton...what do we really need?

From the article: "Martinez will be given the funds by Moshiri this summer to bolster his squad with big-money signings and Jagielka believes the Blues are only an "exciting few tweaks" away from being regular contenders for Champions League qualification.

But the Blues skipper insists there is no need for the club to go wild in the transfer market.

"The fans can see the potential in this squad but if you can go and buy that one extra, special player then it will be nice," Jagielka told the ECHO.

"But let's be honest, we've spent pretty decent money in these last couple of seasons and the chairman has done well."

We all know we've underachieved this season, and with Robles solidifying the keeper position, and the addition of Niasse (still don't know if he's the genuine article, but we paid enough to assume he will at least be productive in some role), along with the potential progress of the lads in the U21s (Dowell, Ledson, Walsh, etc. for potential bench depth, What do we really need?

Not saying we go into next season with the exact same squad, but Yarmalenko aside, are there really any areas that are demonstrably weak? We've shipped goals this year, but that seems to have been fixed and it's not down to talent in my opinion.

Assuming we all want Yarmalenko...who else or what positions should we target for recruitment?
I agree with what you are saying about yarmalenko mate.

Fantastic, a transfer discussion thread :)

Need a replacement for anyone who leaves, a couple more good young talents as we seems to bring in, Ideally a new keeper, new left midfielder and replace barry with someone really good.

For me, our most glaring struggles have been:
  • defending long balls and set pieces;
  • passing out of pressure; and
  • breaking down bunkering defenses.
Requires coaching or money. The more you have of one, the less you need of the other.

If Lukaku goes, we'll need to replace him as well.

Fantastic, a transfer discussion thread :)

Need a replacement for anyone who leaves, a couple more good young talents as we seems to bring in, Ideally a new keeper, new left midfielder and replace barry with someone really good.

We won't be able to replace Barry mate. It doesn't work like that because he really is a unique player. He plays so different for us to what he ever did at Villa, and even City.

The best thing we can do is develop Besic (who has the similar ability on the ball that Barry does) to adapt to a similar role.

Areas we need to target for recruitment:

- Goalkeeper
- Left winger/playmaker (presuming Mirallas leaves)
- Right back

If Stones or Lukaku go, we'll need replacements for them.

We won't be able to replace Barry mate. It doesn't work like that because he really is a unique player. He plays so different for us to what he ever did at Villa, and even City.

The best thing we can do is develop Besic (who has the similar ability on the ball that Barry does) to adapt to a similar role.

Areas we need to target for recruitment:

- Goalkeeper
- Left winger/playmaker (presuming Mirallas leaves)
- Right back

If Stones or Lukaku go, we'll need replacements for them.
Im sure 25 million would replace barry in some capacity.

Or better worded, 25 million would replace a 35 year old midfielder.

I wouldn't dare convert Besic into anything, the lad is quality and needs to be able to play his game, not be converted into Boring Barrys role.

I think Barry, while great this season and still is as of now, will start showing his age next season. But, we have Besic and McCarthy so I don't think we need to buy for that position, though maybe some backup/competition wouldn't hurt.

Is Stanek good/old enough to be back up for Robles?

Main thing is whether we lose our 'stars'.

Edit: Forgot RB. Needed.

I think Barry, while great this season and still is as of now, will start showing his age next season. But, we have Besic and McCarthy so I don't think we need to buy for that position, though maybe some backup/competition wouldn't hurt.

Is Stanek good/old enough to be back up for Robles?

Main thing is whether we lose our 'stars'.

Edit: Forgot RB. Needed.

Stanek: definitely not good enough if we want to push top places.

We need a top GK to push Robles back on the bench (Timo Horn/Yann Sommer from the Bundesliga would be good purchases); LB to push Oviedo (Garbutt isn't good enough and Baines is finished for a team with our expectations); RB cover for Coleman; CB to challenge and ease Jagielka out the door (a partner for Mori, as Stones isn't a CB at all and will probably leave in the summer anyway); an out and out playmaker good enough to force Barkley back into a CM position (Dowell will be good enough in the future but not now); a pacy left winger with a box of tricks (Mertens type) to compete with Niasse (obviously sell Mirallas); another forward to deputise/partner for Lukaku (a Giroud type that can offer a physical and aerial threat if we have to go more direct in games looking for a breakthrough).

You're looking at a cost of circa £60M-£70M for that lot - most of it funded by the sale of Mirallas and Stones, who should fetch £10M and £40M, respectively.

Just need a top class left sided player, a boss keeper and a change in tactics tbh, got some great players who can serve as squad players, Kenny as backup right back etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back