Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2016-2017 additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a lot of garbage for one post mate.

Spread out your work. It'll last longer.
I'm not sure where the garbage comes in:

GK? A must.
LB? Garbutt isn't good enough and Baines is crocked constantly now, ageing, and in any case not defensive minded enough for us and the way we play best.
RB? Again, no question we need a deputy for Coleman.
CB? We'll need one after Stones ships out.
LW? Niasse will be our only out and out wide left sided player, so again, that's what we require - competition.
Playmaker? Nothing changed since last summer for me. Barkley likes a lot of space to work in but a different type is required to consistently break down stubborn backlines that sit back. (And Barkley is eventually going to find himself running games from further back).
Attacker? No brainer that we need a different type of forward to Lukaku who can get in the faces of defenders and take them out of their comfort zone.

So, in short, 6 positions need filling if we're to really make a fist of things.

If we're not in the busyness of filling those roles then we have to accept that ambition remains limited...and I thought we all agreed we're headed into a new era?

Why would you get rid of Stones?
He'll get rid of himself mate.

Read Martinez's statements recently about players being easier to secure if they WANT to commit to us. It sounds very much to me that he's made a distinction between the likes of Barkley and other members of the 'Fab Four'...and Stones isn't getting a game.

Stones will be off. Nothing surer IMO.

He'll get rid of himself mate.

Read Martinez's statements recently about players being easier to secure if they WANT to commit to us. It sounds very much to me that he's made a distinction between the likes of Barkley and other members of the 'Fab Four'...and Stones isn't getting a game.

Stones will be off. Nothing surer IMO.

Ok but not to be pedantic, the premise of my question was that they all stay. Rules are rules Dave.

I don't think Butland is good enough, so a keeper better than him that won't cost 25 million.

We defo need a RB to deputise/challenge Coleman.

I like our wingers and think 4 is enough, I think it's Martinez not using them right that's the problem. Leaving them on too long and playing Kone out wide cos he scored a hat trick from there 4 months ago!

Someone like Payet to challenge Barkley would be brilliant.

So 3 players and the manager to sort his life out, or GTFO and I reckon we'll be sound.

We need a top GK to push Robles back on the bench (Timo Horn/Yann Sommer from the Bundesliga would be good purchases); LB to push Oviedo (Garbutt isn't good enough and Baines is finished for a team with our expectations); RB cover for Coleman; CB to challenge and ease Jagielka out the door (a partner for Mori, as Stones isn't a CB at all and will probably leave in the summer anyway); an out and out playmaker good enough to force Barkley back into a CM position (Dowell will be good enough in the future but not now); a pacy left winger with a box of tricks (Mertens type) to compete with Niasse (obviously sell Mirallas); another forward to deputise/partner for Lukaku (a Giroud type that can offer a physical and aerial threat if we have to go more direct in games looking for a breakthrough).

You're looking at a cost of circa £60M-£70M for that lot - most of it funded by the sale of Mirallas and Stones, who should fetch £10M and £40M, respectively.

GK? A must.
LB? Garbutt isn't good enough and Baines is crocked constantly now, ageing, and in any case not defensive minded enough for us and the way we play best.
LW? Niasse will be our only out and out wide left sided player, so again, that's what we require - competition.
Playmaker? Nothing changed since last summer for me. Barkley likes a lot of space to work in but a different type is required to consistently break down stubborn backlines that sit back. (And Barkley is eventually going to find himself running games from further back).
Attacker? No brainer that we need a different type of forward to Lukaku who can get in the faces of defenders and take them out of their comfort zone.

So, in short, 6 positions need filling if we're to really make a fist of things.

If we're not in the busyness of filling those roles then we have to accept that ambition remains limited...and I thought we all agreed we're headed into a new era?

Have you been spending time with @Zatara !

A similar style of player to Gibson we could do with, deep lying playmaker with a good range of passing. Obviously minus the injuries, don't mind if they have a tendency to run over cyclists though

GK? A must.

Your assessment of Leighton Baines is bordering on absurd. Anyone else and I'd just put it down the beauty of GOT and opinion. From you though, someone who I have gone to many a battle with against the plotters on the need for perspective, patience, common sense, a long term outlook, to judge and dismiss Leighton Baines on the premis that he's now a crock and 'isn't defensive enough' when there is literally nothing Oviedo can do better than him is just outrageous.

Oviedo is in form. Baines has to win his place back. Fair game. The reserve isn't instantly guff because a player is excelling.

Garbutt is at worst unproven. At worst.

John Stones isn't a CB?!

Christ almighty. It's times like these when I do think you may be on the wind up. You're the Adrian Durham of GOT at times, sparking debate with outlandish, bizarre statements. I love it, don't get me wrong, but there is a fear that you aren't popcorning and you actually believe that a lad who's been injured is now guff and a 20 year old CB valued at 40-odd mill isn't a centre back.

2nd striker and a new keeper for me, then a change of attitude about how important defending is from the boss.
Jags, Fumes, Stones, Baines, Oviedo and Coleman

A lot of clubs would love to have that sort of quality available at the back, and would get a lot of clean sheets with them too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back