Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2016-2017 additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a top GK to push Robles back on the bench (Timo Horn/Yann Sommer from the Bundesliga would be good purchases); LB to push Oviedo (Garbutt isn't good enough and Baines is finished for a team with our expectations); RB cover for Coleman; CB to challenge and ease Jagielka out the door (a partner for Mori, as Stones isn't a CB at all and will probably leave in the summer anyway); an out and out playmaker good enough to force Barkley back into a CM position (Dowell will be good enough in the future but not now); a pacy left winger with a box of tricks (Mertens type) to compete with Niasse (obviously sell Mirallas); another forward to deputise/partner for Lukaku (a Giroud type that can offer a physical and aerial threat if we have to go more direct in games looking for a breakthrough).

You're looking at a cost of circa £60M-£70M for that lot - most of it funded by the sale of Mirallas and Stones, who should fetch £10M and £40M, respectively.

Have you seen any of those two keepers play before? Baring the odd game here and there? And what makes you so sure that Mertens is better than Mirallas? Similar players to me. You're writing a lot of players off here too early IMO. Jagielka can play on for another 3 years at least, Baines is still getting over a bad injury, there are no certainties that Stones will leave nor do I believe Niasse was signed to play on the wing.

Your assessment of Leighton Baines is bordering on absurd. Anyone else and I'd just put it down the beauty of GOT and opinion. From you though, someone who I have gone to many a battle with against the plotters on the need for perspective, patience, common sense, a long term outlook, to judge and dismiss Leighton Baines on the premis that he's now a crock and 'isn't defensive enough' when there is literally nothing Oviedo can do better than him is just outrageous.

Oviedo is in form. Baines has to win his place back. Fair game. The reserve isn't instantly guff because a player is excelling.

Garbutt is at worst unproven. At worst.

John Stones isn't a CB?!

Christ almighty. It's times like these when I do think you may be on the wind up. You're the Adrian Durham of GOT at times, sparking debate with outlandish, bizarre statements. I love it, don't get me wrong, but there is a fear that you aren't popcorning and you actually believe that a lad who's been injured is now guff and a 20 year old CB valued at 40-odd mill isn't a centre back.

I'm saying nothing now than I haven't said before mate.

Baines: I've been saying for a few months that he's not what we need now. He isn't either. He's a FB that suited a Moyes team that couldn't attack from any other source. We can now and we require a less adventurist, solidly defending backline. Players come and go; Baines has contributed a lot, but he cant keep out of a functioning Everton team a player who is a more rounded defender than he is, and that (despite all the RM talk of injuries) is why he's now the club's #2 LB. Garbutt: has he even broken into the Fulham team yet? He looks a worse defender than Baines and therefore, as per the analysis above, not good enough for our purposes.

Stones: I said as far back as last season that he's a CM in the Carrick mould and never a CB. The lad does not look comfortable competing for the ball and positionally he's hopeless. He proves it every time he steps on the pitch.

Im sure 25 million would replace barry in some capacity.

Or better worded, 25 million would replace a 35 year old midfielder.

I wouldn't dare convert Besic into anything, the lad is quality and needs to be able to play his game, not be converted into Boring Barrys role.

Besic will be used to fill that role when the time comes - but the role will be slightly different in that Besic has that extra bite.

Barry won't need replacing this summer.

We do not need anymore LBs!

FFS.

We need :

A back up/first choice GK
RB cover, old/young
LW
CM
ST

We also must try everything we can to get rid of Kone and McGeady, all the rest will leave anyway.

We must also try and leave holes in the squad for some of the younger lads to try and breakthrough if possible, the fact that Martinez tried for Byram means we dont have anybody in the younger teams able to push for a place anytime soon at RB.

Have you seen any of those two keepers play before? Baring the odd game here and there? And what makes you so sure that Mertens is better than Mirallas? Similar players to me. You're writing a lot of players off here too early IMO. Jagielka can play on for another 3 years at least, Baines is still getting over a bad injury, there are no certainties that Stones will leave nor do I believe Niasse was signed to play on the wing.
Yes. over the past two seasons - and they're consistently very good.

Don't forget about galloway who can slot in no problem. We should be alright for another year with oviedo, baines and galloway, at a push mori or barry could probably fill in

Completely forgot about Galloway, do think he'd be played in centre half over left back next season (Sub).

We need a top GK to push Robles back on the bench (Timo Horn/Yann Sommer from the Bundesliga would be good purchases); LB to push Oviedo (Garbutt isn't good enough and Baines is finished for a team with our expectations); RB cover for Coleman; CB to challenge and ease Jagielka out the door (a partner for Mori, as Stones isn't a CB at all and will probably leave in the summer anyway); an out and out playmaker good enough to force Barkley back into a CM position (Dowell will be good enough in the future but not now); a pacy left winger with a box of tricks (Mertens type) to compete with Niasse (obviously sell Mirallas); another forward to deputise/partner for Lukaku (a Giroud type that can offer a physical and aerial threat if we have to go more direct in games looking for a breakthrough).

You're looking at a cost of circa £60M-£70M for that lot - most of it funded by the sale of Mirallas and Stones, who should fetch £10M and £40M, respectively.

I can't disagree with that. Even though we have adequate players barring Howard some of them are just decent and that is it. We can now afford to get very good ready made players for the positions you stated. We do need a replacement for Jags as he seems to have lost the ability to jump and challenge for headers. Baines is on the wane, Barry is good but once passed is dead. McCarthy for all his huff and puff needs more quality on the ball. We can afford to do it now so why not and we would still get a good return on outgoing players. Not going to be easy to replace but in Martinez I trust.

Ive been saying for a while that the squad is to big, this summer we lose a LOT of players who havent really contributed much for a while now :

Hibbert - needs replacing
Osman - replaced by Tarahahahjais
Pienaar - needs replacing
Gibson - needs replacing

Then theres the players we really, really, really to try everything we can to ship out

Howard - needs replacing
McGeady - no need to replace
Kone - needs replacing

I can't disagree with that. Even though we have adequate players barring Howard some of them are just decent and that is it. We can now afford to get very good ready made players for the positions you stated. We do need a replacement for Jags as he seems to have lost the ability to jump and challenge for headers. Baines is on the wane, Barry is good but once passed is dead. McCarthy for all his huff and puff needs more quality on the ball. We can afford to do it now so why not and we would still get a good return on outgoing players. Not going to be easy to replace but in Martinez I trust.
Spot on mate. If we now have a game changing addition in the boardroom (although I'm not talking of a massive net spend) then we need to start looking at different ambitions. The positions I highlighted are either the type of players we simply don't have or where we're weak. And we have to be realistic that one at least of our better young players will be impatient for honours elsewhere and wont wait to see if our situation has been transformed.

I've no idea how what I suggested would seem outlandish.

It's pretty conservative, in fact.

Ive been saying for a while that the squad is to big, this summer we lose a LOT of players who havent really contributed much for a while now :

Hibbert - needs replacing
Osman - replaced by Tarahahahjais
Pienaar - needs replacing
Gibson - needs replacing

Then theres the players we really, really, really to try everything we can to ship out

Howard - needs replacing
McGeady - no need to replace
Kone - needs replacing
Yes, agreed. But they're decisions that make themselves and don't really change us from this season apart form about two of those you named.

Getting shut of them wont in and of itself change a thing.

Think on. Up here for thinking *points to head*, down there for dancing *points to feet*.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back