Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2016-2017 additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Butland, but Stoke are going to be wanting 30m for him, they'll be loathe to let him leave aswell, don't know how long he's got left on his contact like.

think 3 years after this seaosn mate, but by reports he is currently only on 25k pw, as for the fee, if tis 30m - pay it, when you consider the importance of the [osition and the fact youd be buying your first team keeper for the next 12-15 years it will end up being a bargain

think 3 years after this seaosn mate, but by reports he is currently only on 25k pw, as for the fee, if tis 30m - pay it, when you consider the importance of the [osition and the fact youd be buying your first team keeper for the next 12-15 years it will end up being a bargain

I'm not been funny mate, but I really don't think he'd leave them to come to us at this moment in time. There's literally no need for him to do so.

He wouldn't get any different experience playing for us as he would from them, or more exposure etc etc.

I'd love him here but I really don't think it's going to happen.

Have you seen any of those two keepers play before? Baring the odd game here and there? And what makes you so sure that Mertens is better than Mirallas? Similar players to me. You're writing a lot of players off here too early IMO. Jagielka can play on for another 3 years at least, Baines is still getting over a bad injury, there are no certainties that Stones will leave nor do I believe Niasse was signed to play on the wing.

Not seen much of Horn myself but Sommer is a good keeper with plenty of experience as well, both international and in Europe for M'gladbach.

Hasn't he already suggested he can do that by getting a season record total of 72 points that would in many/most seasons secure CL football?

Exactly the same record points total that AVB had in his first season at Spurs mate 72 and a club record, he was sacked due to udnerperformance
Hasn't he already suggested he can do that by getting a season record total of 72 points that would in many/most seasons secure CL football?

AVB at spurs in his first season came 5th in the league with a spurs club record points total in the premiership of 72 points mate, after failing to push on from that and spurs slipping back though he ended up getting sacked, now a few years later spurs are challenging for the league title.

So Martinez basically did exactly what AVB did for a comparable team in both their first years on the job, only spurs showed ambition in not settling for that once they started to slip in subsequent years, Martinez needs to ship or or the new owner will ship him out, guarantee it

Don't think we'll go mad, like.

Yarmolenko and a new goalkeeper will be high on Martinez' wishlist I imagine.

I'd personally like us to go out and make a statement of intent with some marquee signings - something we were unable to do last year.

No more getting beaten to signings by the likes of Stoke and West Ham, which was getting quite embarrassing.

Agree in principle, but don't be embarrassed by it.

Stoke have got bags of money and it's the PL. Players want to come here. W.Ham have got the draw of London and a shiny new stadium. The Prem is a completely different beast to what it was 5 years ago.

A similar style of player to Gibson we could do with, deep lying playmaker with a good range of passing. Obviously minus the injuries, don't mind if they have a tendency to run over cyclists though

I genuinely think Besic will be that player. He'll fill the role Barry has been playing, but has a better range of passing. He does it for Bosnia well.

I'm not been funny mate, but I really don't think he'd leave them to come to us at this moment in time. There's literally no need for him to do so.

He wouldn't get any different experience playing for us as he would from them, or more exposure etc etc.

I'd love him here but I really don't think it's going to happen.

He'd get more exposure mate for one, take a gander at the televised games over the past say 3 years and we have a 2-1 advantage roughly over stoke, take an average weekly paper check on stories and we will have a sizeable advantage there also. number of england internationals currently at both clubs would suggest we also get more visits from those lot monitoring our games as well.

Ask anyone at the start of next season who they'd expect to finish higher, who had more of a chance at getting into europe or who ahd more chance at getting into the CL and it would be us by a mile over them, all thigns that will facotr into a players mind

It's only in our insecurity that we think that we haven't got a massive amount more pull than the likes of Stoke mate, especially to an English player who presumably has a bit of a brain and knows a lottle bit about the league and its teams pasts

If Stones ends up leaving, would we go in for Michael Keane of Burnley? He's supposed to be a good centre back.

I seriously would cream over a deep-lying playmaker. Tielemans would be slightly unrealistic but with the TV deal then who knows. Badelj would be a beautiful signing imo.

We need to remember we don't need 2 senior players per position or our academy will go to waste. Which Rb of our youth/loaned out players could start to compete with the first team?

Lukaku is my main concern, I genuinely don't believe he will be here next season. If not who could we get? Batshuayi, Berahino would be good. Maybe Ben Yedder if we played him as a second striker behind Niasse.

Problem is, is that no prem side is under any pressure to sell so it would take a truly ridiculous number to get them to sell, would probably be more worthwhile taking a look at some of the keepers in other leagues

In many ways though mate won't that eb the case for any player at any prem team now, so unless no one will buy off each other anymore then the prices will just have to be paid, as i said though, if its locking a position as vital as this down for the next dozen years - then its worth the cost

In many ways though mate won't that eb the case for any player at any prem team now, so unless no one will buy off each other anymore then the prices will just have to be paid, as i said though, if its locking a position as vital as this down for the next dozen years - then its worth the cost
Just don't think they'd sell for any price at the minute

I like Butland, but Stoke are going to be wanting 30m for him, they'll be loathe to let him leave aswell, don't know how long he's got left on his contact like.

Stoke are offering him an improved one on £50k/week.

Probably cheaper options abroad.

Mustn't forget that we have some decent youngsters in the wings. No mention yet of Browning or Holgate I've noticed and both could be ready next season for a few games

In an ideal world:

A top quality left midfielder/winger to go straight in to the first team or a good attacking midfielder/playmaker to relieve some of the creative burden from Barkley. A striker good enough to start but happy enough to play second fiddle to Lukaku. A quality keeper, an experienced CB to compliment Stones, Funes Mori and Galloway, but also good enough to step in if Jagielka does a Distin and has a massive drop in form. A young right back with potential to push Coleman would also be good. Realistically that'd cost about £70m in transfer fees alone. We should be letting go of a few players on decent wages though which would free up some cash.

However, if some of the rumours about us having up to £100m to spend in the summer are true (unlikely in my opinion), then I'd say spend as much as possible on a top quality left midfielder/playmaker as a priority, and spend the rest on everything else previously mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back