Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2016-2017 additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need an Oviedo type as Colemans back up really, not too expensive can do a decent enough job and apply pressure on Coleman to step up his game, but isn't good enough to utterly block any very talented youngster who could break through (Kenney for example).

As for funds we may have - personally think that we will see the biggest ever net spend this summer and we will break our transfer record again, just think that a new owner will want to make a statment in his first summer in charge, IF we happen to sell one of Stones or Lukaku then both things are almost guaranteed.

Guestimate would be we will spend close to 50m this summer without selling any star player, 50m+ the sale if we do. Think most of that will go on Yarmolenko or similar level player, a new keeper and a playmaker (who could break our record fee)

You say playmaker, where will this playmaker play?

Key for me is

• Winger - To accompany Lennon/Deulofeu/Mirallas (maybe, but I reckon he will be off)
  • Central defender x 2 (don't care if he's the next Maldini, or whatever, I still am not convinced stones is up for it, so if he's gonna try and force his hand again, we need 2)
  • Forward - again to accompany Lukaku, add versatility, and help us not have to play 4-5-1 every week.
  • Most importantly....
  • Goalkeeper... Howard's off, and Joel's doing a cracking job for the time being, but we need to replace him with a top top goalkeeper who can complete a spine of our team for years to come.
That would be nice.

- Winger - definitely, though I think it needs to be more of a playmaker than out and out winger.
- CB - unless Stones goes I think we're fine if the likes of Holgate are ready to step up. We also have Galloway. (presuming we don't get into Europe this season btw)
- Forward - again, assuming we don't get Europe, we've got Niasse who plays that position. We also have Tarashaj to come who looks to be a second-striker type player.
- Goalkeeper. It's hard to get a proven top keeper unless you're in Europe. So whoever we get is going to be a bit of a gamble. Sommer would be my choice as a realistic buy, but if Joel proves he's good enough to be our No.1 then he should get the gloves.

A lot depends on just how much of a marker the new owner wants to lay down mate, with Lukaku at 28m holding our record fee now, then if he wants to break that your looking at 30m+ on one player and brekaing the clubs record fee is always something that makes a big statment for an owner, new tv deal means that if we chuck 50% of the extra revenue into transfers and he matches it will send us over 50m without sales being added to it, think we will see what for us will be an insane amount spent, but think the rest of the league will spend a LOT this summer as well

Cant see us spending BIG money until we get our house in order off the pitch.

I know we have the TV money, but it would be prudent to grow internally before we commit to the "bigger" players.

Can see us spending a vast sum on securing our current players more than anything.

wow, what actually happened in 1992 tho, a better TV deal was signed, what else? There's a huge new deal starting next season. Lets start keeping records from 2016. The whole 'leading scorer since '92 really winds me up. You'd swear it was the year football turned from amateur to professional or something.

The launch of the PL, or whatever is was called back then, is a reasonable reference point for many things. Mainly because it was a new league, a break away from the Football League. A TV deal based on the collective, with all clubs participating in the revenue, on largely equal terms.

Hull are currently playing, if they win they will be top of the Football League. If they win that league, they will win the exact same Football League trophy that we have also won many times.

So while I share your disquiet that everything didnt start in 1992, the Premier League did.

IMO, the playmaker will be the Yarmolenko (type) player. It'll be primarily for the wide left position but somebody who will also be able to play in the mythical hole should Barkley not be available/drop deeper at certain points.

We won't get a winger and a playmaker. We don't need both - we need both players in one and now we have the money to be able to make that happen (e.g. we can lump an extra £5mil on a fee to make a deal go through and an extra £10k on wages)

Best guess would be on the left mate, think that's always been what Martinez has hinted at whenever he talked about bringing one in anyroad

I know i mention Yarmolenko as well but just don't see him being played on the left when he is way more dangerous on the right - thats if we even bother trying to get him now, but well he's my Mout isn't he so have to stick with him

wow, what actually happened in 1992 tho, a better TV deal was signed, what else? There's a huge new deal starting next season. Lets start keeping records from 2016. The whole 'leading scorer since '92 really winds me up. You'd swear it was the year football turned from amateur to professional or something.

see @roydo 's response for what I meant. It's a good reference point. It's when the money really started taking hold.

We need an Oviedo type as Colemans back up really, not too expensive can do a decent enough job and apply pressure on Coleman to step up his game, but isn't good enough to utterly block any very talented youngster who could break through (Kenney for example).

As for funds we may have - personally think that we will see the biggest ever net spend this summer and we will break our transfer record again, just think that a new owner will want to make a statment in his first summer in charge, IF we happen to sell one of Stones or Lukaku then both things are almost guaranteed.

Guestimate would be we will spend close to 50m this summer without selling any star player, 50m+ the sale if we do. Think most of that will go on Yarmolenko or similar level player, a new keeper and a playmaker (who could break our record fee)

If we do sell Stones or Lukaku (I don't think both will go but one is probably realistic) then what we must do is not go 'moneyball'.

Constant squad overturn is never good. How we operate currently is the right model (e.g. two or three quality and versatile additions per-summer window, and one or two if needed in Jan).

If one of the big guns do go (and let's for arguments sake say we got £50mil from the deal), they need to be replaced with 2 £25mil players rather than 5 £10mil players.

If we do sell Stones or Lukaku (I don't think both will go but one is probably realistic) then what we must do is not go 'moneyball'.

Constant squad overturn is never good. How we operate currently is the right model (e.g. two or three quality and versatile additions per-summer window, and one or two if needed in Jan).

If one of the big guns do go (and let's for arguments sake say we got £50mil from the deal), they need to be replaced with 2 £25mil players rather than 5 £10mil players.

We don't need to be bringing in tons of players, the squad we have by and large is really talented, what we need is to just upgrade the weak areas of the starting 11 with real top notch players and then bring in the way we have done for years, young players with potential (Del, Stones, Galloway) relatively unknown players with a lot of upside (Arteta, Cahill etc) and some clever pick ups of odler players (Barry, Distin etc).

Don't change the way we do business as by and large its been the best thing about us for a long time, but just give us that extra edge by ebing able to clearly improve the squad by bringing in a couple of very good players per season initially

Cant see us spending BIG money until we get our house in order off the pitch.

I know we have the TV money, but it would be prudent to grow internally before we commit to the "bigger" players.

Can see us spending a vast sum on securing our current players more than anything.

Honestly Goat, if this summer we say signed Yarmolenko and a very good keeper and that was basically it besides a few youngsters etc, then i'd be happy as long as we got Lukaku, Stones and Barkley to commit long term new contracts

The biggest thing for the next few years for me is seeing everything else off the pitch and how it moves forward as long term that arguably matters ten times more than anything else

It's going to be the most important transfer window in absolutely ages!

Hibbert, Gibson, Pienaar and Osman are all out of contract in the summer, and not a single one of them - for various reasons - should get an extension. Howard, Kone and McGeady should be sold to whoever will take them. That's seven first teamers down, but no damage whatsoever to our strongest eleven.

I don't know what they earn, but I think it's safe to say those seven take home - between them - around 200k a week; that's 10 million pounds a year saved, plus whatever money we can make for the three we are likely to sell. 15 million isn't unrealistic in terms of money brought in plus wages saved.

Add that to a transfer budget that just has to be bigger than we've ever had before... and we should be in great, great shape going into 2016/17.

Let's see how Robles performs between now and end of the season to determine whether we bring in a top keeper or strong backup for him. Sort out longer contracts for our most important younger players - Stones, Barkley, Lukaku - and then bring in a midfield playmaker and Yarmolenko.

That's not even that much money needing to be spent! 15m on Yarmolenko is the money we save on the outgoing players.

It's well exciting!

GK, back up RB and a left footed attacking mid and we'd be fine in my opinion. Obviously if we lost anyone then they'd need replacing though. If Stones doesn't sign a new contract before the summer then I think he'll leave.

I think that Mosh Dosh will throw us a high value signing in the summer, to help maintain the feelgood factor and also entice Stones and Rom to stay, but his main role is going to be securing our long-term development and not player purchases for now.

Goal keeper and back up right back to be getting on with. We need to see how Niasse shapes up to see if he can address the wide left issue. Our recent Swiss signing should be with us in the summer but probably not ready yet to provide cover for Rom.

The launch of the PL, or whatever is was called back then, is a reasonable reference point for many things. Mainly because it was a new league, a break away from the Football League. A TV deal based on the collective, with all clubs participating in the revenue, on largely equal terms.

Hull are currently playing, if they win they will be top of the Football League. If they win that league, they will win the exact same Football League trophy that we have also won many times.

So while I share your disquiet that everything didnt start in 1992, the Premier League did.

Huh, I had no idea that the old 1st div trophy was the championship trophy now. Still tho, you can re name it, re brand it, change the amount of points in it, change how many teams are in it but at the end of the day, in '92 it was the same teams as '91, with the same names playing in the same grounds with the same players wearing the same colors all trying to be league champions. It would be like saying forest have never won the champions league. True, but nonsense.

Bob has a big big man crush on yarm. Guarantee that'll be the marque signing to showcase mosh arriving. Probably sorting it before the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back