Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2016-2017 additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'd get more exposure mate for one, take a gander at the televised games over the past say 3 years and we have a 2-1 advantage roughly over stoke, take an average weekly paper check on stories and we will have a sizeable advantage there also. number of england internationals currently at both clubs would suggest we also get more visits from those lot monitoring our games as well.

Ask anyone at the start of next season who they'd expect to finish higher, who had more of a chance at getting into europe or who ahd more chance at getting into the CL and it would be us by a mile over them, all thigns that will facotr into a players mind

It's only in our insecurity that we think that we haven't got a massive amount more pull than the likes of Stoke mate, especially to an English player who presumably has a bit of a brain and knows a lottle bit about the league and its teams pasts

In terms of global exposure mate it's exactly the same for every team - as in all the PL games are broadcast in every country live (bar the UK).

And they won't factor into his mind if Stoke have finished above us.

I'm not saying that we aren't a bigger club or anything, because we are, but as it stands I think Butland would see it as a sideways step to go to a side that has had their troubles defending and are in a similar position to the one he's at now.

I'd love to get him, just don't think it will happen. It's a similar situation with Forster at Southampton as well.

In an ideal world:

A top quality left midfielder/winger to go straight in to the first team or a good attacking midfielder/playmaker to relieve some of the creative burden from Barkley. A striker good enough to start but happy enough to play second fiddle to Lukaku. A quality keeper, an experienced CB to compliment Stones, Funes Mori and Galloway, but also good enough to step in if Jagielka does a Distin and has a massive drop in form. A young right back with potential to push Coleman would also be good. Realistically that'd cost about £70m in transfer fees alone. We should be letting go of a few players on decent wages though which would free up some cash.

However, if some of the rumours about us having up to £100m to spend in the summer are true (unlikely in my opinion), then I'd say spend as much as possible on a top quality left midfielder/playmaker as a priority, and spend the rest on everything else previously mentioned.

Personally dont think we need a CB.

As for 70m, a lot will depend on Robles, as to which level of the GK market we need to operate at.

Doubt we have anything close to 70m either yano.

Agree with the needs bar the CB.

GK - Circa 10m
RB - Circa 5m
LW - Circa 20m
CM - Circa 15m
ST - Circa 10m

60m is very unrealistic as well to be frank.

Think we will struggle to get all our "desires" and should focus more on whats needed.

RB is a must, an injury to Coleman really hurts us, yes we have a number of make dos in the squad, but none are ideal
GK is a must, provided Howard goes, depends on Robles to which area of the market we operate at

As for the others, sadly none of them I consider musts, merely desires, it will all depend on many, many factors, Robles, Size of "kitty", Sales, Europa and whether any of the younger lads are ready to step up.

As for 70m, a lot will depend on Robles, as to which level of the GK market we need to operate at.

GK - Circa 10m
RB - Circa 5m
LW - Circa 20m
CM - Circa 15m
ST - Circa 10m

Think we will struggle to get all our "desires" and should focus more on whats needed.

RB is a must, an injury to Coleman really hurts us, yes we have a number of make dos in the squad, but none are ideal
GK is a must, provided Howard goes, depends on Robles to which area of the market we operate at

As for the others, sadly none of them I consider musts, merely desires, it will all depend on many, many factors, Robles, Size of "kitty", Sales, Europa and whether any of the younger lads are ready to step up.

Unless we sell Stones, we don't need a centre back spot on. We have enough cover there (presuming we don't get into Europe).

And like you, I highly doubt we have anywhere near that amount.

What we have is whatever budget we were going to get from the TV money, plus a bit more on top. I honestly can't see that being more than £35-40m (including sales of squad players I list below)

Right back is a vital bit for back up. No point in just getting anybody in though - I'd rather us go for a smart move for a younger player who can eventually be Coleman's natural replacement (like we obviously tried for with Byram).

Again, agree entirely about the GK situation.

The main one for me is a natural playmaker to help us take some of the load off Barkley and Del. Ideally a player that is suited to playing any of the three positions behind the striker ala Payet. Now, after forwards, that is the type of player that costs the most, so I'm expecting the majority of our funds (assuming we retain this squad - which is a different issue) on that area.

We'll almost definitely see the backs of Pienaar, Howard, Hibbo, Gibson, McGeady and probably Osman (though I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed on in some capacity as a player on a short-term deal). Kone will go if we get an offer and probably Mirallas unless he can prove he's capable of recapturing his best form (which I know means he has to be given a fair chance to do so).

1992 was not the start of football my son. Mr Martinez has come nowhere near to achieving our record total of 90 points.

I know it wasn't, that's why I said PL.

He broke our Premier League record, as Lukaku just has for our Premier League goalscoring record.

No it's not the start of history, but it's when English football started to turn into what it is now.

In terms of global exposure mate it's exactly the same for every team - as in all the PL games are broadcast in every country live (bar the UK).

And they won't factor into his mind if Stoke have finished above us.

I'm not saying that we aren't a bigger club or anything, because we are, but as it stands I think Butland would see it as a sideways step to go to a side that has had their troubles defending and are in a similar position to the one he's at now.

I'd love to get him, just don't think it will happen. It's a similar situation with Forster at Southampton as well.

Disagree mate, honestly think IF we wanted either and we had the finances to pay it - which we should do now, then we could get either, both are firmly in the bracket as selling clubs IMHO, don't think either of them for example would have turned down what we did for Stones.

Just as a note though, don't think we will get either or maybe not try for either, their is still a weird stigma about paying very high fees for keepers depsite the evidence of having a top one can amke more of a difference than at any other position, daft like but the way of footy

Key for me is

• Winger - To accompany Lennon/Deulofeu/Mirallas (maybe, but I reckon he will be off)
  • Central defender x 2 (don't care if he's the next Maldini, or whatever, I still am not convinced stones is up for it, so if he's gonna try and force his hand again, we need 2)
  • Forward - again to accompany Lukaku, add versatility, and help us not have to play 4-5-1 every week.
  • Most importantly....
  • Goalkeeper... Howard's off, and Joel's doing a cracking job for the time being, but we need to replace him with a top top goalkeeper who can complete a spine of our team for years to come.
That would be nice.

GK - Circa 10m
RB - Circa 5m
LW - Circa 20m
CM - Circa 15m
ST - Circa 10m

Oh I don't think we'll get anything close to £70m either, but I reckon that's what we need to be a top side capable of challenging in Europe, the league and the domestic cups.

Agree on an RB, it's the position we most need back up in by far. The importance of another striker depends on how Niasse turns out, although I think he's considered to be more a left sided player.

Unless we sell Stones, we don't need a centre back spot on. We have enough cover there (presuming we don't get into Europe).

And like you, I highly doubt we have anywhere near that amount.

What we have is whatever budget we were going to get from the TV money, plus a bit more on top. I honestly can't see that being more than £35-40m (including sales of squad players I list below)

Right back is a vital bit for back up. No point in just getting anybody in though - I'd rather us go for a smart move for a younger player who can eventually be Coleman's natural replacement (like we obviously tried for with Byram).

Again, agree entirely about the GK situation.

The main one for me is a natural playmaker to help us take some of the load off Barkley and Del. Ideally a player that is suited to playing any of the three positions behind the striker ala Payet. Now, after forwards, that is the type of player that costs the most, so I'm expecting the majority of our funds (assuming we retain this squad - which is a different issue) on that area.

We'll almost definitely see the backs of Pienaar, Howard, Hibbo, Gibson, McGeady and probably Osman (though I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed on in some capacity as a player on a short-term deal). Kone will go if we get an offer and probably Mirallas unless he can prove he's capable of recapturing his best form (which I know means he has to be given a fair chance to do so).

We need an Oviedo type as Colemans back up really, not too expensive can do a decent enough job and apply pressure on Coleman to step up his game, but isn't good enough to utterly block any very talented youngster who could break through (Kenney for example).

As for funds we may have - personally think that we will see the biggest ever net spend this summer and we will break our transfer record again, just think that a new owner will want to make a statment in his first summer in charge, IF we happen to sell one of Stones or Lukaku then both things are almost guaranteed.

Guestimate would be we will spend close to 50m this summer without selling any star player, 50m+ the sale if we do. Think most of that will go on Yarmolenko or similar level player, a new keeper and a playmaker (who could break our record fee)

He broke our Premier League record, as Lukaku just has for our Premier League goalscoring record.

No it's not the start of history, but it's when English football started to turn into what it is now.

wow, what actually happened in 1992 tho, a better TV deal was signed, what else? There's a huge new deal starting next season. Lets start keeping records from 2016. The whole 'leading scorer since '92 really winds me up. You'd swear it was the year football turned from amateur to professional or something.

Oh I don't think we'll get anything close to £70m either, but I reckon that's what we need to be a top side capable of challenging in Europe, the league and the domestic cups.

Agree on an RB, it's the position we most need back up in by far. The importance of another striker depends on how Niasse turns out, although I think he's considered to be more a left sided player.

A lot depends on just how much of a marker the new owner wants to lay down mate, with Lukaku at 28m holding our record fee now, then if he wants to break that your looking at 30m+ on one player and brekaing the clubs record fee is always something that makes a big statment for an owner, new tv deal means that if we chuck 50% of the extra revenue into transfers and he matches it will send us over 50m without sales being added to it, think we will see what for us will be an insane amount spent, but think the rest of the league will spend a LOT this summer as well

When we win the league next season we'll be told Martinez is our most successful manager (but I'll be too elated to care ).

Back on topic, new keeper please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back