Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2016-2017 additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point mate regarding bringing in too many players very rarely works. But this summer we will be losing quite a few players in Howard, Hibbert, Pienaar, Osman, possibly McGeady, possibly Mirallas so I think if we bring in a few more than usual it may be out of necessity more than just bringing players in for the sake of it.

We know we have Browning and Galloway, but can the likes of Walsh/Ledson/Williams/Dowell maybe take a couple of squad places, I'm not too sure yet.

Someone mentioned before though, we have to make sure that there's still a window of opportunity for the young kids to get a chance in the first team,that's what will always help us get the likes of Stones, Holgate, Galloway etc.

Throw in Gibbo but the thing is apart from Kev and howard (unfortunately), none of them make many (if any) appearances mate. Their loss isn't gonna effect the squad.

Those 7/8 players (could include Kone in that) could be replaced by three quality signings (keeper, back up right back/centre back, playmaker) and we'd be better off for it in terms of wages and quality, with the youngsters coming through. Don't forget we also have Tarashaj to come in and potentially Rodriguez to breakthrough up top as well. We really don't need much, and will only get a few more in on top of that if one of our big players leaves.

But that's the thing mate even if they do we won't be stuck (barring injuries) as we'll just adapt our game.

RM has already referenced it that he won't be able to replace Barry directly so I'm sure the plan will be using the players that we have within the squad (mentored by Barry) to fill that void - if not the role itself - when the time does come.
We had this issue with distin though, one more season constantly and when he went we had no one to step in. Stones great, 20 year old defender who was probe to mistakes now and again, and Alcatraz who was awful.

Gibson gone, besic been troubled by injuries and cleverly can't play deep well, makes it hard to adapt unless either osman or Barkley play there which isn't going to work either. Remember Barry is the last man on midfield, he needs to be able to keep pace with the game. Once he can't then we have very little to play that role once Gibson departs.

"Probably" but only if it happens in reality its worthless :)

RM's first season was a superb one. We went extremely close to it with a brilliant run at the end of the campaign but that season was even more mental than this one overall. 72 points was and still is a fantastic total though and it shouldn't be ignored, just as the poor second season shouldn't be, when taking into account his entire tenure so far.

Throw in Gibbo but the thing is apart from Kev and howard (unfortunately), none of them make many (if any) appearances mate. Their loss isn't gonna effect the squad.

Those 7/8 players (could include Kone in that) could be replaced by three quality signings (keeper, back up right back/centre back, playmaker) and we'd be better off for it in terms of wages and quality, with the youngsters coming through. Don't forget we also have Tarashaj to come in and potentially Rodriguez to breakthrough up top as well. We really don't need much, and will only get a few more in on top of that if one of our big players leaves.

Sorry mate I lost my original post which included Gibson and I did mean to mention as well that barely any of them may have contributed but you still need players there to play games when others are in desperate need for a rest (Pienaar has played 2 fa cup games, Kone has played far more than he should of lol Pennington ha splayed in a cup game which shows you how injuries can deplete the squad in certain positions )

Really important we get the quality in, but also get the right balance of promoting youth and looking for squad players as well because it's not just the first 11. Our bench is looking bloody strong and that's without Besic who was a injured ( Tuesdays game as an example )

We had this issue with distin though, one more season constantly and when he went we had no one to step in. Stones great, 20 year old defender who was probe to mistakes now and again, and Alcatraz who was awful.

Gibson gone, besic been troubled by injuries and cleverly can't play deep well, makes it hard to adapt unless either osman or Barkley play there which isn't going to work either. Remember Barry is the last man on midfield, he needs to be able to keep pace with the game. Once he can't then we have very little to play that role once Gibson departs.

Distin was different mate as it was obviously one season too many and we had the injuries.

But yeh I see what you're saying. My point is though we shouldn't try and replace Barry like-for-like because we won't be able to. He genuinely is a really unique player. Whoever eventually does replace him is going to result in us having to adapt either way, so we might as well promote from within for now and spend the money on more pressing needs, IMO.

Barry's form won't drop off a cliff. Even last season when he played a too much in congested periods, he still put in some very good displays at times. As long as he is rotated right when the time comes for him to do so, it'll be alright.

Also, the reason Cleverley doesn't play deep as well is usually because he doesn't have the defensive awareness to cover Barry's lack of pace - which is what McCarthy is so good at and Besic is getting there as well.

Put Clevs or Barkley next to Besic or McCarthy and that positioning isn't as much of an issue because the latter two both have the pace to cover anyway.

RM's first season was a superb one. We went extremely close to it with a brilliant run at the end of the campaign but that season was even more mental than this one overall. 72 points was and still is a fantastic total though and it shouldn't be ignored, just as the poor second season shouldn't be, when taking into account his entire tenure so far.

Does'nt matter what points he gets us as he needs to win us something or get us Champions League qualifications :-)
If he won us the title on 34 points do you think anyone will complain he won it only on 34 points?

He had a good first season, a crap second one and at present its 50/50

Yes he has but that was one season, three seasons ago...what has he shown since?

two seasons ago, not three.

And what he's shown since, after a tricky second campaign, is that he has got this young side that he has built playing some of the best football we have in years going forward.

Since the turn of the year he has clearly looked to address the defending issues and now it is paying dividends. He's shown he's capable of putting cup runs together and bring exciting players to the club whilst constantly ending every transfer window stronger.

Does'nt matter what points he gets us as he needs to win us something or get us Champions League qualifications :)
If he won us the title on 34 points do you think anyone will complain he won it only on 34 points?

He had a good first season, a crap second one and at present its 50/50

No of course I wouldn't complain.

But why does he need to. It's not our God given right to be in the top four, or winning trophies. Yes we should be competing throughout the season and had a few things gone differently (for a variety of reasons some within his/the players' control and some not) we'd have been right up there. We're not and it's frustrating, but we have no entitlement to be in the top four or winning things.

It's not accepting mediocrity or anything to say that, it's just the way it is and being realistic.

Personally, if waiting another year or two to build something that is going to help us sustain success over the coming years (which is what I believe he has clearly shown he is trying to do and now the new investment hopefully allows us the opportunity to really kick on in doing so in the short term as well as the long term), then I'm more than happy to see it out. :)

two seasons ago, not three.

And what he's shown since, after a tricky second campaign, is that he has got this young side that he has built playing some of the best football we have in years going forward.

Since the turn of the year he has clearly looked to address the defending issues and now it is paying dividends. He's shown he's capable of putting cup runs together and bring exciting players to the club whilst constantly ending every transfer window stronger.
Sorry, you're right, I was thinking in the three seasons he's been there.
We might be playing better than last season but the results and league position are the same and until the new investment came in did any of us really think we could keep our better players?

We currently need top quality, not quantity, our bench is already good even if we release/sell 6/7 players. We need 2/3 top quality players and a couple of backup players for cheap and most importantly keep our the most important players with new long-term contracts. Our first priority should be to strenghen our first XI.

ideally our depth chart after summer:
GK: big signing no. 1, Robles, Stanek
RB: Coleman, backup signing no. 1 that can also cover CB/DM, one of Browning/Pennnington/Kenny
RCB: Stones, Jagielka, Holgate
LCB: Funes Mori, Galloway, Connolly
LB: Baines, Oviedo, Garbutt
DM: Barry, McCarthy, Ledson
CM: Besic, Cleverley, one of Grant/Walsh
AM: Barkley, Tarashaj, Dowell
RW: Deulofeu, Lennon, backup signing no. 2
LW: big signing no. 2, Mirallas, McAleny
ST: Lukaku, Niasse, Rodriguez

ideal signings for me?
1. as a GK my ideal choice is Alphonse Areola who is on a loan from PSG in Villarreal this season, he is amazing and probably don't have a realistic chance to get into PSG's lineup over Trapp, backup choices would be Mattia Perin and Timo Horn
2. as our RB backup I would ideally see Havard Nordtveit coming - he plays for Gladbach as a RB/CB/DM and has an experience from Arsenal youth teams, he is available on a free transfer as his contract ends in summer
3. as LW ideally a player like Yarmolenko, I really can't think of any possibly realistic better target for us
4. as RW/striker backup signing I would enjoy a youth talent as we currently lack these in our academy - maybe Bartosz Kapustka would be a great choice - he is still only 19 and already has 3 starts and 2 goals for senior Polish NT, can also play as a striker or left winger, is a great talent

We currently need top quality, not quantity, our bench is already good even if we release/sell 6/7 players. We need 2/3 top quality players and a couple of backup players for cheap and most importantly keep our the most important players with new long-term contracts. Our first priority should be to strenghen our first XI.

ideally our depth chart after summer:
GK: big signing no. 1, Robles, Stanek

ideal signings for me?

3. as LW ideally a player like Yarmolenko, I really can't think of any possibly realistic better target for us

Really enjoyed your post and analysis, Yarmolenko is promising given the quotes and our solid interest and russian ties. I think it is nailed on to be honest.

I don't think Holgate is anywhere near ready and competition for places is a must. There will be surprise sales and I hope a flurry of promising signings. Small squad/lack of competition was always holding us back but it needn't anymore. If big signings fail to deliver we can cover for it now. I think Mirallas and Pienaar and McGeady will all leave leaving us an opportunity to introduce a new vibe down the left.

What is heartening is that Martinez is ambitious and has previously said he knows what Everton need.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back