Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2016-2017 additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me left midfield is what we are seriously struggling with imo apart from gk situation I guess. I would love to see some sort of left footed winger for once, I guess yarns fit the bill if he is willing to change his game a little.

Surely a matter of time before we are linked with this 25 year old GK who has a couple of Croatian caps. Villa tried to sign him for £3-5m but had work permit issues. It's on!

Any idea why Tadic cant make the Southampton team? Is it injuries or does Koeman not fancy him? If the latter he would be worth a punt!

Any idea why Tadic cant make the Southampton team? Is it injuries or does Koeman not fancy him? If the latter he would be worth a punt!
He flatters to deceive I think mate. He's obviously a good player, but he's a bit KevM in that his great games are great but they come 5/6 times a season.
Swerve for me.

Sorry, you're right, I was thinking in the three seasons he's been there.
We might be playing better than last season but the results and league position are the same and until the new investment came in did any of us really think we could keep our better players?

I thought that one would go, possibly two, (Stones and Rom) but that would be it.

Now my thought process is pretty much exactly the same except that if they do go I'm confident that all the money will go back into the squad

Its not an entitlement to want us to be the best :)

No that's totally right.

However, Martinez doesn't need to win a title or even a cup to be a success, per-say.

I'd love to win a cup. I desperately want us to win one as I was two months old the last time we lifted one.

But if we don't do it I don't deem the manager/team a failure, depending on how the rest of the season pans out.

If we finish where we are now (give or take), and win the cup, I'd be delighted that we've won the cup, and our league position wouldn't matter a jot to me.

If we finish top 7, and don't win the cup, I'll be happy that we've at least recovered a respectable position.

GK -- Robles / ???
LB -- Baines / Oviedo
LCB -- Mori / Galloway
RCB -- Jagielka / Stones
RB -- Coleman / Holgate
DM -- Barry / McCarthy
CM - Besic / ???
LW -- Cleverley / ???
ACM -- Barkley /Tarashaj
RW -- Deulofeu / Lennon
CF -- Lukaku / Niasse

GK options -- Rico / Leno / Butland
CM options -- Niguez / Neves / Tielemans
LW -- Yarmolenko

Have Barry mentor the new CM to take over his role after one season.

Any funds left over for one more signing: Bernardo Silva / Hakan Calhanoglu / Oliver Torres

Thats a top 4 Squad.

He flatters to deceive I think mate. He's obviously a good player, but he's a bit KevM in that his great games are great but they come 5/6 times a season.
Swerve for me.

In fairness mate me and @bluestevon (along with a few others) were banging the Tadic drum (so to speak) for a while before he eventually signed for Saints.

It's one of the few bits of proper info I've ever had in regards to a transfer and I know that we definitely made and had a bid accepted for him - and that's why Southampton ended up upping their second bid to get it done as he was willing to sign for us. However, we didn't want to lump an extra £2/3mil on the deal and a bit of extra in wages as Rom was our no.1 target.

So, if the opportunity a-rose we may well be interested.

Think you're right in what you say though that he can be a bit Mirallas-esque in his consistency, but he's still a very good player and I'd take him here any day of the week.

I think what this investment really means is that in situations like the one I outlined above, we won't have to haggle as much (or shouldn't have to) about an extra few million or an extra few thousand a week on wages.

GK -- Robles / ???
LB -- Baines / Oviedo
LCB -- Mori / Galloway
RCB -- Jagielka / Stones
RB -- Coleman / Holgate
DM -- Barry / McCarthy
CM - Besic / ???
LW -- Cleverley / ???
ACM -- Barkley /Tarashaj
RW -- Deulofeu / Lennon
CF -- Lukaku / Niasse

GK options -- Rico / Leno / Butland
CM options -- Niguez / Neves / Tielemans
LW -- Yarmolenko

Have Barry mentor the new CM to take over his role after one season.

Any funds left over for one more signing: Bernardo Silva / Hakan Calhanoglu / Oliver Torres

Thats a top 4 Squad.

Without the promise of Europe mate, no chance.

We need a keeper, and a right back. Holgate's going to be a centre half.

Presuming Kev goes, what we need is a player who can play that left wing role but in a similar way to how Pienaar did it mixed with what Kev can do, if you get me. Those players cost the big money, and I'd imagine that (depending how much we spend on a keeper - which in turn depends on how Joel does from now until the end of this season), that will be the major 'marquee' signing.

Anything on top of that I imagine would be a cheapish deal for a youngster.

That is presuming that none of Stones or Lukaku leave, however.

If they do the money has to be spent on a replacement.

Get rid of
Mcgeady Gibson Pienaar Osman Hibbert
Kone(he won't leave)

Bring in 3 top players

Left sided young pienaar type. Cleverly has done ok there but he's not the answer.

Yarmolenko: can play across the front three I believe he would help in those hard to break down defensive games at home.

Banega: 27 think he is available on a free. He is quality player with expeience.

Really enjoyed your post and analysis, Yarmolenko is promising given the quotes and our solid interest and russian ties. I think it is nailed on to be honest.

I don't think Holgate is anywhere near ready and competition for places is a must. There will be surprise sales and I hope a flurry of promising signings. Small squad/lack of competition was always holding us back but it needn't anymore. If big signings fail to deliver we can cover for it now. I think Mirallas and Pienaar and McGeady will all leave leaving us an opportunity to introduce a new vibe down the left.

What is heartening is that Martinez is ambitious and has previously said he knows what Everton need.

don't think they'd do much good in getting a Ukrainian to sign for us mate ;)

I don't think we need many players in all honesty.

Players who will almost certainly leave:

Howard
Hibbert
Gibson
Osman
Pienaar
McGeady

Players who may leave:

Kone
Mirallas

Players we know are already coming:

Tarashaj (number 10-type player, presumably filling Osman's slot in the squad)

Positions we need to fill:

Goalkeeper - either a top keeper or, if Joel proves himself worth of the #1 position, competition for him
Right back - competition for Coleman, preferably a younger Byram-type
Centre mid - replacing Gibson and preferably a little more creative than Besic and McCarthy to take the strain off Barry
Left mid - A playmaker-type player that we've lacked since Pienaar's injury woes began
Left mid - a replacement for Mirallas if he leaves
Striker - a replacement for Kone if he leaves

Two, maybe three first XI players at most is all we really need

Even though he has played well this season, still can't shake the feeling that we will be better off without Barry - if it means we have to alter the way we play and the shape we have as a team then so be it.

The one centre mid we have that IF he can stay fit looks to be pivotal is Besic, McCarthy is decent and on his day very good but limited, Cleverley - decent squad player no more than that

Think the one part of the team we seriously overate is our centre mid pairing of Barry and McCarthy though, don't think either player would get into the spurs best 11 or Arsenals for example, hell dunno if either would get into Leicesters really

hi-res-980e2be598f99c9bf705d25b935e400d_crop_north.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back