6 + 2 Point Deductions

This "rule" was drawn up on the 7th August after Everton got called up for this charge.

That should be the WHOLE argument.

You can't change a rule that wasn't a rule

"Article 11, paragraph 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights provides that no person be held guilty of any criminal law that did not exist at the time of offence nor suffer any penalty heavier than what existed at the time of offence."

Obviously it's not criminal law, it's the rules of a private organisation (the EPL) that we've voluntarily subjected ourselves to.

But it gives you an idea of how this kind of thing is viewed.

There are so many statements in the document that are just baffling to me:

‘Similarly, the argument that the invasion of Ukraine caused stadium construction costs to increase, and made it harder for Everton to secure the senior debt that it was seeking, constitute mitigating features that cannot stand. Again, it is no more than the type of event that businesses have to contend with as part of their daily life.’

This is basically saying, tough to Everton that a war broke out and ruined your future and present sponsorship deals, I hope they showed them pictures of Everton having to remove USM and MegaFon from Goodison and Finch Farm the next day. I also find the statement a bit silly as it’s basically saying wars happen all time and it’s a part of every businesses daily life, this is inherently untrue.

‘Everton had signed Player X in 2017. Player X had proved to be a star player for the club. In July 2021 Player X was arrested. The FA suspended Player X from all football activity, making it impossible for him to perform his contractual duties. On 23 August 2021 Everton dismissed Player X. Everton sought advice on the possibility of suing Player X for breach of contract but elected not to do so.’

Again, this is a horrible statement which is putting money ahead of someone’s mental health. From what we all have heard as rumours this player basically lost his marriage and career overnight. Now, this statement says as we could no longer play him, nor really get a transfer fee, we should have sued him. What a disgrace. Imagine if Everton would have sued and the player would have taken his own life, imagine the media frenzy that would have caused. By their reckoning, that’s what we should have done. I agree with the club on this but I also think anything to do with the player after his arrest should have been written off, transfer fee, wages, etc. That is not the employers fault, it’s the employees. However, the duty of care shown by Everton not to sue is commendable.

‘On 14 January 2021 the Premier League produced a report to its board on Everton's expenditure. It noted that while Everton was forecast to breach the PSR maximum permitted loss of £105 million it would not do so if the stadium expenditure were to be excluded. It contrasted Everton's position with that of six other clubs who had been able to capitalise expenditure on stadium development, principally because their developments could be considered probable at an early stage of the respective projects.’

Again, other clubs have been allowed not to include their new stadium costs in their P&S costs. We were not. This was to do with the ‘probable’ go ahead for the other stadiums but not ours because of the heritage side of the site itself. However once the stadium was given the go ahead surly we should be allowed to include these costs as it’s now had the green light. Surly some common sense here and some back dating takes us back under the threshold.

There are paragraphs after paragraphs which upon reading it all tonight makes me think we simply were never going to win. However a lot of it doesn’t make sense. That 105m will be boosted to 150m per year in the near future as put simply 105m is a joke when any half decent player is now about 30m.

Luton have the most points of the teams down there with us and they are on course for 19 points. I would be amazed if any of them got 25 points never mind 38.

Whilst everyone else is talking about the decision galvanising us. Dave as usual is trying to talk us into a death spiral.

I'm 'kin fuming about that corrupt decision. The biggest mugging in PL history.

But we need to be clear here: there's no real way out of this for us under our own steam. We have to hope against hope that all those around us remain terrible.

Don't get seduced by the pacification of others that "you'll easy get out of this anyway". We won't. We'll be extremely fortunate to get out of this. That is why today's kangaroo court judgement was so criminal.

That decision today opened the coffin lid and it won't take too much for us to be pushed into it and nailed in.
Evening Babe. I can see you've had your power nap. Toast Toppers are on the go.......... Bacon and mushroom........... Your Favorite xxxx See you downstairs in ten.... MR Grumpy Pants xxx

They did but in reality we could hav =e been 5up in 20 odd mins if we took our chances.
I really would like to join in the "not arsed we'll stay up anyway...give is another 2 point deduction" camp. But I see this as a disaster...and Ilm right to as well.

We have a very poor team. Don't forget that. And we;ve had no major injuries.

Thats fairly irrelevant
Not really. Everton started the season in relegation form. Results have picked up but they are now back in the bottom three. They can essentially now not afford anymore periods of poor results if they want to be clear of danger.

Everton had 4 points after 6 games, so you can say that ultimately the last 6 games now count for nothing - they do at least count in terms of confidence, but for all the 'points deduction will galvanise us' shouts, it can also galvanise the teams that now suddenly are going from a 3/4 battle to a 3/5.