6 + 2 Point Deductions

Sky are reporting on this new proposal that premier league clubs can only spend 85% of their annual income on players wages, agent fees and transfers fees.

For us in the 2023 accounts it said our income was £181m so that means we could spend £144.8m on players wages, agent fees and transfers

We are currently spending around £80m on player wages
Do would have around £65m for transfer fees

It sounds better and more straightforward than the current system. Obviously it still favours the biggest teams with the highest revenue

Sky are reporting on this new proposal that premier league clubs can only spend 85% of their annual income on players wages, agent fees and transfers fees.

For us in the 2023 accounts it said our income was £181m so that means we could spend £144.8m on players wages, agent fees and transfers

It sounds better and more straightforward than the current system. Obviously it still favours the biggest teams with the highest revenue

Our wage bill is not 80m.

It’s a nonsense and anti-competitive. In what other industry are you restricted in your outgoings. Complete nonsense and likely illegal

It's much better for us than the current system because it's based on income and not overall profit, and it will come in when the stadium delivers a big boost to the income column. Increased outgoings like loan repayments etc will eat into the profit from the stadium, but as far as I can tell will not be relevant for the new PSR: the increased revenue will be all that counts.

Agree, its not a great source.
Capital expenditures cannot be deducted from income for tax purposes, but operating expenses are eligible.

I'd imagine all our manager/director payoffs remain under opex for a tax write-off. Not suggesting we are lying about the number in the report. Just lying/being creative in the accounts we submit to HMRC.

Edit: in fact, I think those payoffs are opex anyway, which means they would appear under staff costs.

Capital expenditures cannot be deducted from income for tax purposes, but operating expenses are eligible.

I'd imagine all our manager/director payoffs remain under opex for a tax write-off. Not suggesting we are lying about the number in the report. Just lying/being creative in the accounts we submit to HMRC.
PSR is quite easy to screw over

Which is why I am still annoyed that we managed to fail it twice.