74/75 title bid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My older Brother recons we threw it away - although it was a very defensive team who gained two many draws, the football was also a bit dire under Bingham - The press hated us for it , and competition was poor that season Derby won it - we just fell away with such an easy run in throwing points away to lower teams - Carlisle took maximum points and were relegated!
It should have been another title for our record thought completely bottled it!

The old cells aren't what they were but I seem to remember David Smallman scored against Carlisle (?) and great things were expected of him, but he got injured and we never saw him again. I saw his first appearance in a reserve game and about 6,000 turned up (v. Blackburn I think)

I was with Roger Kenyon the other week who kindly agreed to be interviewed for my book. We spoke about that season (74/75) and he told me that when he was away at the England camp, quite a few of the squad members fancied Everton for the title. To find out more, you will have to wait for my book to be released. I also interviewed Billy Bingham two days before Roger Kenyon. There are two sides to every story. I was at the Carlisle home game on the 21st December 1974, 2-0 up and lost 3-2. I have never forgotten it

The fact that the 74/75 side got so close to winning the title said more about the quality of the league in general that season. Derby won it with a measly 53 points (52 is the lowest ever total under the two points for a win, 42 game season). We drew more games than we won that season and, if we had won it, it would have been the least heralded of all our title winning teams. It didn't help when we threw away quite a few games we should have won. Being 2-0 up at home to Sheffield United and bottom of the table Carlisle were two prime examples.

We were in pole position with 4 or 5 games to go and, although the 70s weren't great in terms of success, at that time we were still big spenders and had spent loads of money on players like Latchford and Dobson, so it didn't feel like we were over-achieving by being top of the league. In those days we felt we should be challengers.

We definitely had a keeper problem that season. I seem to recall Bingham kept alternating between Dave Lawson and Dai "Dropsy" Davies, as they were both unconvincing. With a better keeper we'd have probably won it.

I was with Roger Kenyon the other week who kindly agreed to be interviewed for my book. We spoke about that season (74/75) and he told me that when he was away at the England camp, quite a few of the squad members fancied Everton for the title. To find out more, you will have to wait for my book to be released. I also interviewed Billy Bingham two days before Roger Kenyon. There are two sides to every story. I was at the Carlisle home game on the 21st December 1974, 2-0 up and lost 3-2. I have never forgotten it
Whats the book called? when's it out?

Three games cost us v two relegated sides,Carlisle,home and away,Luton away,zero points,a win and a draw would have probably done it on goal average as it was back then!!,but then thats Everton for you,doh!

...remember it well, I think Carlisle remain the only side we failed to beat in top flight football. They had a lad called Balderstone who ran the show at Goodison. He was a first class cricketer in the summer and ended up being an umpire. Certainly cost us the league that season.

Whats the book called? when's it out?
It's called "For The Boy's In The Royal Blue Jersey" volume 1. I hope to release more of them as some of the proceeds are going to the former players foundation. Date of release not sure. Hopefully in time for father Christmas to deliver

It's called "For The Boy's In The Royal Blue Jersey" volume 1. I hope to release more of them as some of the proceeds are going to the former players foundation. Date of release not sure. Hopefully in time for father Christmas to deliver

sounds ace, good luck Bally

A difficult question. I've interviewed greats like Royle, Latchford, Ray Wilson, Harvey, Kendall, Southall, Temple and many more and every one has a different twist to it. An unbelievable experience for me so far and could not pick out one. I've loved 'em all

Having watched Everton from the late 60's It was a pleasure to speak with Hurst, Husband, Darcy and this week I'm meeting Andy Rankin. I'm looking forward to that one. Great character's too along the way, Andy King and Mickey Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.