74/75 title bid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
...remember it well, I think Carlisle remain the only side we failed to beat in top flight football. They had a lad called Balderstone who ran the show at Goodison. He was a first class cricketer in the summer and ended up being an umpire. Certainly cost us the league that season.
I can remember us beating Carlisle away in the FA cup?

I think it was around this time that we tried to buy Peter Shilton. You only have to look at the impact he had on forest. Can you imagine the team of 77/78 latchford, Thomas, Dobson, Lyons and Shilton behind them. By the sounds of it, if we had Shilton in goal in 74/75 we probably would have won the league. There is no doubt had we had him in goal for the league cup final of 77,we would have won that as well.

Not old enough for this season personally, but I think this must have been the season that my late Dad always claimed that went wrong after John Connolly's injury against Altrincham in the cup (but was it the same season?). He had a pathological hatred for Altrincham, the football team AND the place, after that. He was up in Carlisle with thousands of Evertonians when we lost there, too. He couldn't stand Bingham, either. Apart from Altrincham, Carlisle and Bingham my dad had a very easygoing nature!

The year is 1905 and Everton are leading 3-1 against Arsenal with something like 15 minutes to go, if Everton win game they win the league championship. Games is abandoned a reply takes place and Everton lose the replay 2-1. Everton lose the league title by one point.
Abandoned due to bad weather. Newcastle won the league that year.

So close to winning it that year.

I remember that season - we were a couple of players short of being a really good team. Neither Dai Davies nor Dave Lawson were really good enough for us. Terry Darracott and Mike Bernard weren't much cop either. I think that's the season we lost to 2nd Division Fulham in the Cup.

BTW Bally, I hope you can sort out your apostrophes before the book comes out. I will NOT buy a copy if the apostrophe is wrongly placed in the title.

Just looking through the league tables of the 1970s, I didn't realise how close we were to winning the title that season. We finished 3 points off the top. Looking at the stats we won 10 at home but drew 9 games (42 game season).
Does any of our older members remember anything of this season. The table suggests we were close, but where we ever really in contention and what cost us the title in their opinion e.g. Lack of squad depth, injuries etc.

We sure were in contention.

With four games to go I think we were three points clear....in an era when there were only two points for a win.

We lost at Carlilse and at Luton during those final games.

Derby County, who won the leauge that season, were actually playing a post season tour game when they were crowned champions.

The games didn't all finish on the same day then and it was gal averatge rather than goal difference which decided it.

It appeared they had no chance of winning and I can't remember the last team to play, probably Leeds, and there was a freak result which handed Derby the Title.

But EFC threw it away that season.

I can remember us beating Carlisle away in the FA cup?
I was at that game with my dad. Ball beat half their team on one run, was in the clear but missed the target....Wilf Dixon was standing by the post having been on for an injury. He trapped it and kicked it back at Ball with a look of utter disgust....even Ball could get eyeballed by the trainer.

BTW....my favorite era as an Evertonian, circa 1975 :)

For all the great players we have had in my lifetime....including the '63 team through to the present day, this is the line up I would just love to be seeing running out at the Old Lady come August.

Deadly Dai

Mickey Bernard, Mickey Lyons, Roger Kenyon, John McLaughlin

Mickey Buckley (RIP), Gary Jones (worked on a building site two years previously), Martin Dobbo, John Connolly

Big Bob, Jimmy Pearson.

That's this arl arse's dream team.....;)

Happy days before a wife and kids came on the scene.

And a home game was an all day affair, ending up down the She Club or The Checkers 'til the wee small hours of Sunday.

Where do the years go...:coffee:

Last edited:
Three games cost us v two relegated sides,Carlisle,home and away,Luton away,zero points,a win and a draw would have probably done it on goal average as it was back then!!,but then thats Everton for you,doh!

Don't forget, Carlilse beat us at Goodison on New Year's Eve......we were leading two nil and contrived to lose the game 2-3 :confused:

Remember also dropping points at home versus Burnley on a Friday night near end of season and how much they loved it. Led sheffield Utd 2-0 at HT in second last game but lost 3-2. I think if we had won we might have had mathematical chance of title away in last game vs Chelsea. Not sure if blown by then. Remember being proud was number 105 on footy special vs Chelsea!

Remember also dropping points at home versus Burnley on a Friday night near end of season and how much they loved it. Led sheffield Utd 2-0 at HT in second last game but lost 3-2. I think if we had won we might have had mathematical chance of title away in last game vs Chelsea. Not sure if blown by then. Remember being proud was number 105 on footy special vs Chelsea!

Think it was the Sheff U game were we totally blew it mate,strange season that was for me as a kid,I recall an Easter game v Coventry I think,Dobbo hit a screamer near the end to win it and I in my nine year old head thought it was ours at that point!!,I remember the Burnley game as well,very disappointing as Walter may have said!! and also recall another home draw towards the end of the season v a good Ipswich side,brings back the memories this thread,oh aye!!

Status
Not open for further replies.