777 Partners / Whatever the hell you like

Revised Polling options on who wants a 777 takeover

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Inappropriate Language
After working as a coach driver in the 80s, Alan Myers got a job on radio Merseyside in the mid-90s reading the news bulletins.

He was brought into the club by Peter Johnson in around 96/97. As “head of communications”, he was essentially football’s equivalent of a spin doctor, making sure the club’s message got across.

After telling journalists Duncan Ferguson wasn’t going anywhere, he saw him and Ruud Gullit in a box room signing the contract.

On a podcast about a year or two ago, Rob Palmer was on and said how Phil McNulty used to refer to Myers as a “Peter Johnson’s blazered lacky”.

He survived the departure of Johnson and was there for a few years with Kenwright. After a while he got a job at sky, probably helped by his contacts at Everton.

Fast forward to 2013 and Kenwright rang him and asked “are you coming home son”.

Whatever Alan has achieved it certainly hasn’t come about by “rocking the boat”. As some have said, he doesn’t ask challenging questions of the club, just repeats whatever line he gets from the club.

It’s in Alan’s interest to stay close to the club, he owes his career to it.
I've no idea what he has or hasn't said, in the past or present. But are people surprised when someone who works for an organisation goes along with the narrative set by that organisation? It's almost like because they work for Everton, our supporters just expect them to dish the dirt, or 'say what needs to be said'.

Would those same fellas criticising AM and the likes take to social media slagging off their own employers? Would they [Poor language removed].

I've no idea what he has or hasn't said, in the past or present. But are people surprised when someone who works for an organisation goes along with the narrative set by that organisation? It's almost like because they work for Everton, our supporters just expect them to dish the dirt, or 'say what needs to be said'.

Would those same fellas criticising AM and the likes take to social media slagging off their own employers? Would they [Poor language removed].

I’m not criticising Alan for not going two footed on Everton.

But some on here (and on Twitter) make him out to be some Mother Teresa type, who is some champion for Evertonians.

He’s a former very senior employee of the club (and was under Johnson and Kenwright). In order to obtain the information, which he then reports for sky, he has to remain close to the club, he certainly can’t bite the hand that feeds.

Nothing wrong with that, but I’m not going to put him on some kind of pedestal like others do.

I think he has won a few friends recently because he has done exactly that; reported only what has factually happened, or what he has been told. When quizzed further, he has said “not to my knowledge,” which is arse covering, but also stops the conversation before the conjecture starts. End of thread on X.

So much pure opinion masquerading as inside info or as professional involvement (on ALL sides not picking on one), I think people just find the “facts only” approach from AM and Bobble comforting in these chaotic times, regardless of what people think their motives are. Just getting the facts an hour before Sky bothers to report it is all we can hope for.

Literally about 4 people on the planet know the truth, and none of them post on X.
I think this is fair. People want beef between Myers and Esk or whatever but they fulfill totally different roles.

Myers is an old school news guy, he’ll repeat information sources give him. People want him to be more critical of that but it’s not his job to editorialise. Regardless of how we interpret the information he is given it is useful to know what it is he’s being told and it’s up to us to make our minds up.

Meanwhile Brown & Auclair are your investigative journalists and Esk is, essentially, a comment writer. Different people, different media, different roles, room for all. Myers gets stick for not questioning or criticising enough but that’s not his job. It’s like criticising Pickford for not scoring enough.

What perhaps winds people up about Myers or Esk is actually the same thing: maybe that they state things factually when they are not factual. Myers should probably state “according to club sources” more, Esk should state “in my opinion” more to make it clearer what their statements really are.

After working as a coach driver in the 80s, Alan Myers got a job on radio Merseyside in the mid-90s reading the news bulletins.

He was brought into the club by Peter Johnson in around 96/97. As “head of communications”, he was essentially football’s equivalent of a spin doctor, making sure the club’s message got across.

After telling journalists Duncan Ferguson wasn’t going anywhere, he saw him and Ruud Gullit in a box room signing the contract.

On a podcast about a year or two ago, Rob Palmer was on and said how Phil McNulty used to refer to Myers as a “Peter Johnson’s blazered lacky”.

He survived the departure of Johnson and was there for a few years with Kenwright. After a while he got a job at sky, probably helped by his contacts at Everton.

Fast forward to 2013 and Kenwright rang him and asked “are you coming home son”.

Whatever Alan has achieved it certainly hasn’t come about by “rocking the boat”. As some have said, he doesn’t ask challenging questions of the club, just repeats whatever line he gets from the club.

It’s in Alan’s interest to stay close to the club, he owes his career to it.
Codswallop

I’m not criticising Alan for not going two footed on Everton.

But some on here (and on Twitter) make him out to be some Mother Teresa type, who is some champion for Evertonians.

He’s a former very senior employee of the club (and was under Johnson and Kenwright). In order to obtain the information, which he then reports for sky, he has to remain close to the club, he certainly can’t bite the hand that feeds.

Nothing wrong with that, but I’m not going to put him on some kind of pedestal like others do.
I'm not sure who puts him on a pedestal here, but saying you're not criticising him isn't exactly the case is it? Your post was constant criticism and underhand comments and remarks.
"....football’s equivalent of a spin doctor" and "got a job at sky, probably helped by his contacts at Everton." “Peter Johnson’s blazered lacky” The comments about Kenwright and 'coming home' and his apparent contradictions over Ferguson leaving. "Whatever Alan has achieved it certainly hasn’t come about by “rocking the boat”. " Mate that is very, very cynical and critical.

As I mentioned previously, it's all well and good criticising, but would you go onto social media and 'rock the boat' about your own employer? Respectfully, I think not.

I'm not sure who puts him on a pedestal here, but saying you're not criticising him isn't exactly the case is it? Your post was constant criticism and underhand comments and remarks.
"....football’s equivalent of a spin doctor" and "got a job at sky, probably helped by his contacts at Everton." “Peter Johnson’s blazered lacky” The comments about Kenwright and 'coming home' and his apparent contradictions over Ferguson leaving. "Whatever Alan has achieved it certainly hasn’t come about by “rocking the boat”. " Mate that is very, very cynical and critical.

As I mentioned previously, it's all well and good criticising, but would you go onto social media and 'rock the boat' about your own employer? Respectfully, I think not.

“Football’s equivalent of a spin doctor” - I think that applies to all “heads of communications”, it’s not personal to Myers. Alistair Campbell was head of communications at number 10 and was regarded as a spin doctor. I would say the same about heads of communications at any other club.

“got a job at sky, probably helped by his contacts at Everton” - that’s an uncontroversial point surely. I didn’t mean his contacts at Everton got him the job by putting in a good word, I meant the fact he is so close to Everton, that would have been very appealing for sky. They want journalists who will get good information, and Myers had a decent contact book.

“Peter Johnson’s blazered lacky” - that was said by Rob Palmer on the all together now podcast with Tony Scott and Greg O'Keeffe about 2 years ago. He was quoting Phil McNulty.

“The comments about Kenwright and 'coming home” - said by Myers himself on the all together now podcast.

“his apparent contradictions over Ferguson leaving.” - said by Myers himself on the all together now podcast.

“Whatever Alan has achieved it certainly hasn’t come about by “rocking the boat” - my opinion based on the above .

And no, I wouldn’t criticise my employer on a public forum as I am in their tent. But Alan is (or has been) in the Everton tent, so I am cautious about what he says.

I thought there were buyers waiting in the wings ? Now that 777 are dead in the water why are these consortiums or bidders not making themselves known ?

Because there were no consortiums or bidders waiting to step in that’s why

I thought there were buyers waiting in the wings ? Now that 777 are dead in the water why are these consortiums or bidders not making themselves known ?

Watch this space.

You wouldn’t know, the bobble probably doesn’t know and the esk probably doesn’t know.

If anything is happening, city lawyers will be working on it, and they will be under a strong duty of confidentiality. They would lose their job if it was leaked.

Did anyone know about Moshiri before it was announced? No they didn’t.

You wouldn’t know, the bobble probably doesn’t know and the esk probably doesn’t know.

If anything is happening, city lawyers will be working on it, and they will be under a strong duty of confidentiality. They would lose their job if it was leaked.

Did anyone know about Moshiri before it was announced? No they didn’t.

They were telling the world with authority a few weeks ago that there were other interested bidders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back