777 Partners / Whatever the hell you like

Revised Polling options on who wants a 777 takeover

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think you're being a bit disingenuous about the lack of penalties awarded us. We have had at least a handful of very clear penalty shouts this season that have not been given even though VAR is supposed to catch them. One that jumps to mind is the shirt pull from Spurs. Not given to us, exact same scenario with the exact same offender the next week penalty was given.
Do people realise the scope of such a conspiracy?

You would need the people at the head of the PL, the match officials, you are talking about a conspiracy involving around 50 people.

Every club in the league has sob stories.

You would need the people at the head of the PL, the match officials, you are talking about a conspiracy involving around 50 people.

I'm not saying it's conspiracy, I'm just addressing your implication that we are never in an position to get a penalty. That is patently false.

You forgot about the mind-controlling spaceships. These people don't even know they're in the conspiracy, completely unaware.

You need to have a competent attacking unit and be able to offer the opposing team an actual threat, that then makes individuals panic and do stupid things like give away penalties. We haven't done this for a long while.
Ive seen it many times with my eyes. Ive seen them apologize later, and pundits talk openly about how they are baffled by the call. For it to then happen a month later. We've screamed at the TV for some of those red cards and then been absolutely stunned when they arent given, or when VAR calls the ref over to give one on us for nothing. We arent that special, but apparently we are so special in EVERY one of these game-latering categories.

Her and her colleagues on the board are responsible for the mess we are currently in, not just that but she left with a large compensation/severance payout and she seems to think it's ok to ask for freebies? not for me, I think that's bang out of order.
It's absolute disgrace...I know she bought a plush place out in the Welsh countryside not so long ago coz the contractor on it was a customer of mine...he'd also received favourable jobs off her iE Eitc stuff for jobs done on her house. Utter cronyism

I also know every board member was lavished with gifts from a certain oligarch every Christmas to thank them their "hard work"

No, you just need a few people with heavy biases and on checks and balance. You just need the man in charge to be corrupt, and then he will find an influence the ones under him, find the right couple, and let them do his bidding. Over half of our 14 red cards over that span were just 2 referees.

Or send out a note to "be careful of the reckless tackles by Everton, and their tendency to dive, its a point of emphasis we have noticed in recent matches" and you've set up your bias. People have been manipulating people for their gain from the dawn of time, and its beyond naive to think this league is the only exception in world history.

Can someone explain to me why people are conspiring against Everton.?
Who have we offended ?
What heinous infraction have we committed ?
When did this event (or events ) occur in our history?
Or is this just another example of people with a slender grasp of reality and an inability or unwillingness to engage with and develop an understanding for the complexities of the modern world , resorting instead to simplistic ( and plainly daft ) explanations to disguise their intellectual deficiencies?

Who have we offended ?
Or is this just another example of people with a slender grasp of reality and an inability or unwillingness to engage with and develop an understanding for the complexities of the modern world , resorting instead to simplistic ( and plainly daft ) explanations to disguise their intellectual deficiencies?
There's no conspiracy, at least not one specific to Everton football club. The PL needed a sacrificial lamb at exactly the moment we imploded. Nothing to do with penalties or VAR, just cold hard cash and politics. The other stuff is just incompetent refs who bottle it against the "big" clubs.

There's no conspiracy, at least not one specific to Everton football club. The PL needed a sacrificial lamb at exactly the moment we imploded. Nothing to do with penalties or VAR, just cold hard cash and politics. The other stuff is just incompetent refs who bottle it against the "big" clubs.
Yea, I agree... but...
Everton are being made an example of and treated very harshly.
And refs are treating Everton differently to the champions league clubs.
It's easy to see why people thing Everton are being singled out here and how that's not fair.

The PL's handling of this at the same time as VAR has been nothing short of a disaster.
I'll be surprised if Marsters or what ever his name is is in the job next season.
Problem is, who replaces him. Too much money to expect integrity.

Who have we offended ?
Thanks for restoring my faith in Everton fans.

I was starting to think everybody was just insane.

No, you just need a few people with heavy biases and on checks and balance. You just need the man in charge to be corrupt, and then he will find an influence the ones under him, find the right couple, and let them do his bidding. Over half of our 14 red cards over that span were just 2 referees.

Or send out a note to "be careful of the reckless tackles by Everton, and their tendency to dive, its a point of emphasis we have noticed in recent matches" and you've set up your bias. People have been manipulating people for their gain from the dawn of time, and its beyond naive to think this league is the only exception in world history.

Or a ref that is just intimidated by a large baying crowd, or a Manager that will do his best to ruin the reputation of the ref, hi Jurgen and will cause such a stink, that said ref will be demoted to the first division.

Or a ref that is just intimidated by a large baying crowd, or a Manager that will do his best to ruin the reputation of the ref, hi Jurgen and will cause such a stink, that said ref will be demoted to the first division.
how-often-are-referees-right-600-px.png

THE COMMON SUBCONSCIOUS BIASES FOR REFEREES

The Crowd Effect

An interesting study showed that referees who watched a match back on the TV in silence made less favourable home decisions than compared to when they watched matches where they could hear the home crowd’s reaction. This shows that the atmosphere created by the crowd can influence a referee’s decisions.

This bias increases largely when there is no running track in the stadium and the crowd is closer to the pitch. For example, grounds like Old Trafford and Goodison Park can make referees more prone to this effect, as opposed to West Ham’s stadium.

The atmosphere may change a referee’s emotional response to a situation and thus subconsciously challenge their decision. It seems then that making decisions in isolation (like referees working at Stockley park do) may reduce the likelihood of this bias. For the time being, if you want to help your team as a supporter, here’s our guide to what football crowds should do.

The Home Advantage Effect

Interestingly, home teams tend to receive less yellow and red cards and have more added time when they are losing. Apart from football, in sports like boxing or events like the summer and winter Olympics where judges make subjective decisions about performances, home advantage can also be observed.

Importantly, research has shown that, since the addition of the additional referees (5th and 6th refs) in European football in the 2009- 2010 season, less biased decisions have been documented. This suggests that the addition of VAR might help reduce this cognitive bias for our referees. Aside from the referee’s decision, home advantage has also been shown to impact team performance.

The Player Body Type Phenomenon

A recent study investigated referees’ biases linked to players’ body type – and there were some fascinating results:

• Those who were assumed to have committed fouls were on average taller than the fouled player.
  • When there is an unclear foul/ tackle situation, referees are more likely to attribute the foul to the taller player.
  • When smaller players go to ground, people tend to attribute it to a foul. However, when tall players go to ground, people tend to attribute it to a non-foul context.
We think this is another great example of where VAR will help referees make better decisions, without the influence of their subconscious bias about players’ body type.

The ‘Dirty Team’ Effect

When experts have to make quick decisions, they mostly rely on previous experiences and knowledge. If this is the case, do referees rely on their previous thoughts about a team rather than what is actually happening in front of them?

Interestingly, research has shown that referees who had been told that a team had an aggressive history were more likely to penalise them for fouls and responded to tackles differently than other referees who had not been given the team’s background. It’s incredibly difficult to minimise this type of bias, as we all use our memory to help form decisions. However, with the use of objective measure such as VAR to make decisions about fouls, this bias should be reduced.

A National Bias?

Although no referee squad and team are from the same country, often there are times when individual players are from the same country as the referee or assistants. This is the building blocks of own nationality bias.

Researchers tracked referee assignments over 12 seasons in the Champions League and found that, when a player is the same nationality as the official, the number of beneficial calls given to them was increased by 10% and even up to 15-20% in some cases for national team members during later stages of international tournaments. Although this doesn’t happen on purpose, it appears that if an official is judging a player from their country they are more lenient towards them. This of course is easily amended with objective decision-making methods such as VAR.

Yea, I agree... but...
Everton are being made an example of and treated very harshly.
And refs are treating Everton differently to the champions league clubs.
It's easy to see why people thing Everton are being singled out here and how that's not fair.

The PL's handling of this at the same time as VAR has been nothing short of a disaster.
I'll be surprised if Marsters or what ever his name is is in the job next season.
Problem is, who replaces him. Too much money to expect integrity.
Agree with all of that but, to be frank, Everton are just the PLs convenient idiot, they don't care about us one way or the other.

Agree with all of that but, to be frank, Everton are just the PLs convenient idiot, they don't care about us one way or the other.
Right but we are their convenient idiot.
It's like a teacher going overboard disciplining one kid to put the fear of god in all the others.
You know the teacher isn't going to pick on the group of rich kids with uppity parents who do what they want.
It's the kid with the crappy home life who's acting out. Nail him, make an example of him.
It's not working? well how about some discipline for that new kid in the class too.

Maybe I'm overdoing the analogy.
I dont think the PL and refs are all sitting around rubbing their hands conspiring against us in meticulous detail,
But they have singled us out for harsher treatment than the other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back