A full squad at last

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see. Only twice this season we've had everyone fit so its a positive. I will be nice to see if we can fit the likes of Arteta, Pienaar, Fernandes and Osman into one team, play some nice footall and be on a positive going into the City game.

I doubt all of them will play that often together, were going to play a 4-5-1 so that means Carsley (Only defensive mid) and Cahill (Our goalscoring midfielder) are both essential and guaranteed a place, that means there is 4 into 3 which obviously doesnt go.
I suspect it will be Ossie who misses out with Pienaar/Arteta essential to the team that leaves MF who Moyes obviously rates so that leaves the ugly duckling Ossie sitting on the bench

I doubt all of them will play that often together, were going to play a 4-5-1 so that means Carsley (Only defensive mid) and Cahill (Our goalscoring midfielder) are both essential and guaranteed a place, that means there is 4 into 3 which obviously doesnt go.
I suspect it will be Ossie who misses out with Pienaar/Arteta essential to the team that leaves MF who Moyes obviously rates so that leaves the ugly duckling Ossie sitting on the bench

I agree with you but I was more looking towards the Brann game. In European football the aim is to keep the ball and the more technical footballers on the pitch the better. At home aswell against average opposition it wouldn't be a problem. Something like this:

Arteta---Fernandes---Cahill---Pienaar

-----------------Osman-------------

Naturally for me Osman's natural position is as an attacking central midfielder behind one or two strikers similar to what Cahill plays and Pienaar played for Ajax. He wouldn't score as many goals but he'd offer more than Cahill in that position. Just another option really.

Agreed on Cahill's form Bruce. Don't know about Osman being a "superb" finisher though. I'd say he's been a good finisher on recent form.

Osman is a superb finisher so I'm sure he could play the role in the hole. Cahill certainly hasn't been in form recently and doesn't warrant a place on recent performances.

Cahill in form relies on other players like Arteta & Pienaar being on form. His ability to latch onto balls in the box is not bettered by many if anyone in the prem never mind the Everton team. With 1 not in form and the other being away for a few weeks and returning injured, Cahill has suffered for this. Looked to be getting better in the 2nd half against Brann though

Cahill in form relies on other players like Arteta & Pienaar being on form. His ability to latch onto balls in the box is not bettered by many if anyone in the prem never mind the Everton team. With 1 not in form and the other being away for a few weeks and returning injured, Cahill has suffered for this. Looked to be getting better in the 2nd half against Brann though

Agree 100% with that.

Agreed on Cahill's form Bruce. Don't know about Osman being a "superb" finisher though. I'd say he's been a good finisher on recent form.

Thought I'd wheel out the stats (ha).

Osman - 57 shots, 31 on target, 6 goals
Cahill - 36 shots, 22 on target, 9 goals

I think that's a fair comparison myself. Osman has played more, hence why he's had more shots. Both have a similar ratio of shots/on target. Cahill has a better scoring ratio because he's played in a more central position.

You are the king of stats Bruce, no doubt about that.

My comment wasn't meant to compare the two though. Just that I though Osman wasn't superb in that dept. I've got to give him credit though, as one of his detractors (mainly due to him getting muscled off the ball more than I think he should), he's done a job for us this year.

In the past couple of years, it probably wasn't as hard for Moyes to drop him to the bench in favor of another player but this year, Moyes has to consider him for the first eleven when he's fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back