2021/22 Abdoulaye Doucouré

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was James having some sort of depressive effect on Doucoure? I'm not clear on how the two are linked?
If you break it down, then football is largely about math. By playing with JR, we often ended up in a numerical minority in midfield, and to compensate for this, AD was actually asked to do an impossible job.

Although AD is a machine, it became impossible for him to get into the box, or contribute a lot offensively when JR played. Ancelotti also limited AD through these restrictions, precisely to get the best out of JR.

Was James having some sort of depressive effect on Doucoure? I'm not clear on how the two are linked?
Doucoure was asked to cover James’ defensive duties a fair bit. Sat in to support the FB etc.

It prevented him from getting forward.

Effectively, the system was built to allow James a space in the team. And Doucoure was asked do a job that failed to play to his strengths as a box to box player.

In fairness how many times last season did we have the chance to have Allan and Docuoure in a midfield two with James at 10 with two genuine wide players behind a striker? Hardly ever thanks to crippling injuries. Richarlison spitting his dummy out about playing wide didn’t help either. Ancelotti shouldn’t have indulged him though. I think Benitez saw Richarlison as his second striker just off DCL in the 10 position and once he made that choice then James was off.

Ancelotti forced him to play a defensive role to cover for the lack of work rate from James and allow him to do his thing.

Not sure it’s fair to say that fans who desperate to see him “shackled” mind.

Ancelotti destroyed Doucoure's game so that James could play.

Benitez would never let that happen and James had to go.

If you break it down, then football is largely about math. By playing with JR, we often ended up in a numerical minority in midfield, and to compensate for this, AD was actually asked to do an impossible job.

Although AD is a machine, it became impossible for him to get into the box, or contribute a lot offensively when JR played. Ancelotti also limited AD through these restrictions, precisely to get the best out of JR.

Doucoure was asked to cover James’ defensive duties a fair bit. Sat in to support the FB etc.

It prevented him from getting forward.

Effectively, the system was built to allow James a space in the team. And Doucoure was asked do a job that failed to play to his strengths as a box to box player.
What about in all the games James didn't play in?

Him and Allan are so important to us. In my opinion we need another cm as if either of these two are out the drop off in quality is too much

Will be our usual undoing over Xmas - one or both will pick up injuries over the hectic schedule and we'll have little to replace them with.

We should have went after Anguissa on loan with an agreement to buy next summer - would have ticked the boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.