Agent Benitez v Agent Ancelotti

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes.
I personally know of two, (one is one of my dad's best mates and has been for over 40 years) who were jailed in Belgium for the Heysel disaster. I think 13 were jailed in total.
I thought 26 were convicted but a lot of them got 3 years as a suspended sentence.

Still can't get it into my head that King Carlo was with us. What a rollercoaster ride we've been on! And even though he's a top, typical European Champions League tactical master, and out of our league, he just suited us and was an Everton man. Weird and wonderful.

You won a cup double. Have a cookie.

Seriously, Ancelotti had a first rate game plan but it doesn't work unless the players execute. Courtouis was a god, but that defense got in the way of so many shots that could have wrecked his day. The save off the woodwork was also incredibly kind on the bounce.

It's 100% how Madrid wins, and full marks to Carlo for finding it, but it was also a match where the best laid plans last until the arrow leaves the string. Top talent was necessary to pull that one off. Klopp beats anything less.
Agree it could have been two or three to them in the first half, but the truth is if you nullify the RS in that first half however you do it you will get chances as the game goes on they showed that second half as they can't keep that tempo up for 90mins. I thought Real were tactically spot on and we're the better side in the second half as they grew into the game. Its a deliberate tactic to be very compact and not allow the reds space in behind, we saw it when Carlo managed us away from home.

I thought 26 were convicted but a lot of them got 3 years as a suspended sentence.
The blame for the incident was laid on the fans of Liverpool. On 30 May, official UEFA observer Gunter Schneider said, "Only the English fans were responsible. Of that there is no doubt." UEFA, the organiser of the event, the owners of Heysel Stadium and the Belgian police were investigated for culpability. After an eighteen-month investigation, the dossier of leading Belgian judge Marina Coppieters was finally published. It concluded that blame should rest solely with the Liverpool fans.

A total of 34 people were arrested and questioned with 26 Liverpool fans being charged with
manslaughter—the only extraditable offence applicable to events at Heysel. An extradition hearing in London in February–March 1987 ruled all 26 were to be extradited to stand trial in Belgium for the death of Juventus fan Mario Ronchi. In September 1987 they were extradited and formally charged with manslaughter applying to all 39 deaths and further charges of assault. Initially, all were held at a Belgian prison, but, over the subsequent months, judges permitted their release as the start of the trial was further delayed.
The trial eventually began in October 1988, with three Belgians also standing trial for their role in the disaster: Albert Roosens, the head of the Belgian Football Association, for allowing tickets for the Liverpool section of the stadium to be sold to Juventus fans; and two police chiefs—Michel Kensier and Johan Mahieu—who were in charge of policing at the stadium that night. Two of the 26 Liverpool fans were in custody in Britain at the time and stood trial later. In April 1989,fourteen fans were convicted and given three-year sentences, half of which were suspended for five years, allowing them to return to the UK.

The 14 served 18 months in jail.

Noticed not a single new post on the Red Echo main news feed in the hours after the game, not a single one! Back to type today from the front news section to the back, full of parade and trouble about last night, rag of the highest order!

Still can't get it into my head that King Carlo was with us. What a rollercoaster ride we've been on! And even though he's a top, typical European Champions League tactical master, and out of our league, he just suited us and was an Everton man. Weird and wonderful.
Its been a mad 4/5 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.