AJ/Yak Partnership

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sim

Player Valuation: £8m
So how do we all reckon these two will do together? BT & AJ on paper looked great, one target man and one with pace, both great friends off the field, but it just didnt work out as we all know.

The Yak is a lot different to BT, much more of a goal poacher type of player, a bit like Van Nistelroy. I think we've missed this type of player for years now so I think he'll do really well for us.

Add that to our other strikers, we have a really good pool of striker qualities to choose from:

AJ (Pace, workrate)
Yak (Goalpoacher, strength)
Vaughan (All round game)
Anichebe (Targetman, strength)
McFadden (Skill)

Not bad eh?

So how do we all reckon these two will do together? BT & AJ on paper looked great, one target man and one with pace, both great friends off the field, but it just didnt work out as we all know.

The Yak is a lot different to BT, much more of a goal poacher type of player, a bit like Van Nistelroy. I think we've missed this type of player for years now so I think he'll do really well for us.

Add that to our other strikers, we have a really good pool of striker qualities to choose from:

AJ (Pace, workrate)
Yak (Goalpoacher, strength)
Vaughan (All round game)
Anichebe (Targetman, strength)
McFadden (Skill)

Not bad eh?
Not at all, can't help feeling a bit sad for McF though - scored the goal v. Blackburn and is then dropped. When it was time for a substitution it was Vic that came on.

Then again it just shows the strength in dept we now have.

Not at all, can't help feeling a bit sad for McF though - scored the goal v. Blackburn and is then dropped. When it was time for a substitution it was Vic that came on.

Then again it just shows the strength in dept we now have.

Yeah me too, but I think tactically that was right. Bolton were getting the better of us physically and when we need a battering ram, we bring on Vic.

Its great that we have so much options, this really is gonna win us more points and will make us much stronger for europe.

mcfadden was looking at the possibility of being crucified after the blackburn game such was the frustration all of goodison felt and told him about. very lucky he scored.

mcfadden was looking at the possibility of being crucified after the blackburn game such was the frustration all of goodison felt and told him about. very lucky he scored.

Still though, strikers live for goals, so when they score they've done their job, not only that, it builds confidence too so it always bodes well for the following game.

Strange how someone clearly so talented is also so damn useless most the time, its not like he cant cut it in the premiership cos when he's on form he outclasses the opposition defenders, but when he's bad, jeez....

I guess it must be his attitude.

What has pleased me over the past 6 months is the number of goals we're scoring, not just from the strikers but from everywhere on the pitch. In midfield Cahill, Arteta and Osman are capable of getting 20 between them in a season and Graveson showed at Celtic that he knows where the goal is.

In defence Lescott has been getting some decent goals recently with Stubbs and Yobo also chipping in.

I mean lets face it AJ has been on a rotten run over the past 6 months yet I don't think even TW has had to ask where the goals will come from. It's an encouraging sign.

While I would love for AJ to be banging them in every week, if he provides every week and we are scoring, I don't give a toss.

Another special mention has to go to Yakubu for his excellent movement off the ball that allowed him to take the 'simple' tap-in.

While I would love for AJ to be banging them in every week, if he provides every week and we are scoring, I don't give a toss.

Another special mention has to go to Yakubu for his excellent movement off the ball that allowed him to take the 'simple' tap-in.

Thats right, his positioning for the goal was excellent. Its amazing how positioning is often overlooked as a quality for a striker, yet its amazingly important. Our goal at Bolton reminded me of how Arsenal operate, hit them on the break, amazing pace, great positioning then a simple tap in.

AJ just needs a couple of goals to get his chin up, and if Yak and AJ work like they did against Bolton then they will come for him soon.

The thing is AJ's workrate is so good its almost like having an extra midfielder, so its not too bad when his goals dry up.

What has pleased me over the past 6 months is the number of goals we're scoring, not just from the strikers but from everywhere on the pitch. In midfield Cahill, Arteta and Osman are capable of getting 20 between them in a season and Graveson showed at Celtic that he knows where the goal is.

In defence Lescott has been getting some decent goals recently with Stubbs and Yobo also chipping in.

Ever since Moyes said he wanted more goals from all the team they have responded. So they clearly listen to him! lol

Can't we use McFadden as a left winger, I though that was the initial reason why we bought him in the first place?

I mean lets face it AJ has been on a rotten run over the past 6 months yet I don't think even TW has had to ask where the goals will come from. It's an encouraging sign.

i picked martyns injury well before it was announced he had one, due to his terrible kicking and how gingerly he moved (granted i thought it was lower back)

aj played through the pain last season knowing he needed surgery on his foot/feet, and it seems to me that it is still effecting him, the recent knee injury could be a sign that he isnt moving as easily as he used to and thats transfering the problem.

We could use him....but there's a question mark of his effectiveness as a wide left player... When we first signed him as a wide player he looked amazing could beat his man bags of tricks and put in a decent cross too. Only problem is he doesn't do that as much as he did when we first signed him up.

One particular run against Leeds stands out.

We could use him....but there's a question mark of his effectiveness as a wide left player... When we first signed him as a wide player he looked amazing could beat his man bags of tricks and put in a decent cross too. Only problem is he doesn't do that as much as he did when we first signed him up.

One particular run against Leeds stands out.

It's a pity though as that is the position in which I think we have a weakness.

Hes a striker, its always been a mistake to field hiw as a winger. He's never wanted to play there and has never looked comfortable.

As i have said a number of times on here McF is a winger for me and i saw him play almost every game in his youth when he was the hottest property in the SPL his best game for us (Leeds) he also played n the wing.

On the subject of goals acorss the team i think baines will chip in with a few i remeber a few crackers he scored last season.

And still super tim and Vaughan to come back! Does anyone remeber two christmas's ago and we were crying out for one decent striker! Paitence is a virtue.

Status
Not open for further replies.