2023/24 Alex Iwobi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean in all of this, I’m surprised there isn’t more fume at Iwobi to be honest.

Told Everton he doesn’t want to sign a new deal and normally that would mean getting the pitchforks out.

Is this just where we’re at now? Acceptance that we can’t even retain our average players?

Meh

It's what players do now

Honestly it would be churlish to complain about Iwobi doing it when Gnonto has arguably been even more unprofessional at Leeds in an effort to sign with us

If we get anything approaching £10 mill we have to take it, he's in the last year of his contract and a big earner. I really don't want him to run his contract down and leave on a free next summer, what would be even worse than that would be agreeing a new contract with him. He's ok, but, has little end product and is basically a squad player on star man's wages.

After watching him countless times over the last years I remember a handfull games where he´s had a positive impact. We would have been relegated without him the season before last whitout a doubt. At the same time, we should never have been in that position and only were so because the players incuding Iwobi didn´t give a toss the first half of the season.

He´s an average player with some fancy footwork. I won´t miss him.

I can’t help but like the guy. He came in with great performances at a time of peril, when most everyone had written him off.

Should he have done better? Sure. Was he the man we needed in some dark hours? Yes.

Great performances? He's turned up about 1 in every 10 games, has a strike rate of 1 goal in every 20 in the Prem.....he's never been the man we needed in dark times but rather just another symptom of where we have found ourselves recently.

I mean in all of this, I’m surprised there isn’t more fume at Iwobi to be honest.

Told Everton he doesn’t want to sign a new deal and normally that would mean getting the pitchforks out.

Is this just where we’re at now? Acceptance that we can’t even retain our average players?
Any player who doesn't want to be here should be sold as soon as a good offer comes in.

Anything around £15m for a player with 10 months remaining, is a good deal. Players leaving for free is a big reason why we are in such a poor financial position. Keeping him to let him leave for free in June would be the wrong decision.

I wish him well, I thank him for the goal against Newcastle, but he is very replaceable.

If we can't adequately replace an attack minded player with 6 league goals in 4 years, then our recruitment is not fit for purpose.

It would seem I am in the minority who thought he was decent and would improve with better players around him. He's is another in the category of What could have been! I think there might be something wrong with grass at Finch Farm, It gives everyone itchy feet!?

Good luck to him, limited player but never once acted like a ‘Billy Big Balls’ after the move from Arsenal. Will be remembered for the Newcastle goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back