ALEX YOUNG RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the arc your referring to the one behind the Gwladys St goal which kept the fans away from the rear of the net? If you are sadly nothing to do with the World Cup.It predates it by a few years.
I apologise and bow to your memory. I was always of the impression that: An arc behind both goals was built for the games especially
the '66 World Cup matches to be played there, also that our fans were playing up at the time, by throwing the odd dart onto the pitch
and coins etc., we were a few of a kind who damaged trains, coaches and indeed away grounds. Once again thanks for your knowledge.

My Dad's favourite ever player, and he'd seen many of our greats. I never seen him so animated about any other footballer.

R.I.P. and God bless Alex Young, a proper Everton legend. Say hello to my Dad for us.

I apologise and bow to your memory. I was always of the impression that: An arc behind both goals was built for the games especially
the '66 World Cup matches to be played there, also that our fans were playing up at the time, by throwing the odd dart onto the pitch
and coins etc., we were a few of a kind who damaged trains, coaches and indeed away grounds. Once again thanks for your knowledge.
mascoq66700. Just Googled: When Brazil Came To Goodison Park.

I have been so busy I have only just read the sad news of the passing of the vision of gold who was at the club when I became a Blue in 1963. RIP, Alex, my all time favourite Everton player.

Last edited:

Is the arc your referring to the one behind the Gwladys St goal which kept the fans away from the rear of the net? If you are sadly nothing to do with the World Cup.It predates it by a few years.
Beg to differ: Google : When Brazil Came To Goodison Park.

Beg to differ: Google : When Brazil Came To Goodison Park.

google don't know shight - I do, I was there. It came as a result of our bad behaviour BEFORE 1966. The Battle of Goodison Vs Leeds, Darts thrown at the Spurs goalie etc.
Trust me on this I'm an Arlarse.

The original 'temporary' structure made out of planks and scaffold poles (true!) went up in 64-65...there are pics about if you search.
The fancy brick version was put in in the close season ready for 65-66 season

I have always been under the impression that the arcs were put there when we knew we were holding WC games there. Sure I read it somewhere

I have always been under the impression that the arcs were put there when we knew we were holding WC games there. Sure I read it somewhere
you can't trust that there interweb?
We had to put the barriers up and were put on probation for? well I'm not sure how long it was now, but we were. It will be in an Echo or Daily Post archive.
There may have even been a 'Statutory Notice' in the programmes as well.
The fancy brick thing was just 'making a virtue out of a necessity'

you can't trust that there interweb?
We had to put the barriers up and were put on probation for? well I'm not sure how long it was now, but we were. It will be in an Echo or Daily Post archive.
There may have even been a 'Statutory Notice' in the programmes as well.
The fancy brick thing was just 'making a virtue out of a necessity'

No I was under the impression at the time before the internet, double glazing, quilts and colour TV for the working classes.

google don't know shight - I do, I was there. It came as a result of our bad behaviour BEFORE 1966. The Battle of Goodison Vs Leeds, Darts thrown at the Spurs goalie etc.

The original 'temporary' structure made out of planks and scaffold poles (true!) went up in 64-65...there are pics about if you search.
This is correct

Have a read.

https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/old-everton-pictures.55383/page-518#post-4637734

Snippets at his time at Glentoran.

alex.jpg

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...who-used-to-frighten-opposition-30465086.html

Ghost of The Oval who used to frighten opposition

On the ball: Alex Young

The Ghost of The Oval in Belfast is alive and well and living in Edinburgh. And if that seems like a contradiction in terms let me explain. This Ghost, now 77, was a legendary footballer called Alex Young whose silky skills when he was playing with Glentoran at their Oval stadium earned him the nickname The Ghost.

And I'm reminded of Alex today because a former team-mate in the Irish League was Derek Acorah who is now better known as a spiritualist and medium, due back here in November.

"Alex was the first ghost I ever came face to face with," chuckled Derek – Johnson when he was at The Oval – as he assured Glentoran fans that their ground wasn't haunted.

"This ghost was a real flesh and blood Scottish international footballer who in 1968 had signed for the Glens as player manager. He is now living in Edinburgh where family and friends remember how he was once called The Ghost or The Golden Vision when he was playing for Everton and Scotland, and later with the Glens."

Young joined Glentoran from Everton and one of his first signings for the east Belfast club was Acorah, who was then a midfield player under Bill Shankly at Liverpool.

"Alex was such an idol at Everton that I was delighted to join him in Belfast signing under my real name of Derek Johnson," recalled Acorah.

"It was the late Danny Blanchflower who nicknamed him The Golden Vision or The Ghost.

NWS_2014-07-29_NEW_012_32436116_I1.JPG

"In view of how my life changed after football it was an amazing coincidence how I met my first ghost of all.

"I used to train every day with Alex and Alex Parker, who was then at Ballymena United. We were three of the few professional players in Northern Ireland at that time and I had a passion for the game.

"I played in the Glentoran team with good players like Tommy Morrow and I stayed for a few seasons even after Alex returned to England and Stockport County.

"He was a great centre forward and should have won more than two caps for Scotland."

RIP Alex Young.

I can't think of Alex Young without thinking about my Dad. No matter who we had playing for us, or who we'd sign, he would always say something like... "He's nowhere near as good as 'The Golden Vision'. Now there was a player".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back