2023/24 Amadou Onana

He’s clearly a very nice lad from all his interactions with the kid fans on club videos
I think he’s a very good player too and will have a top level career
But if Dyche is staying, which I fully expect for at least another season, then we really might as well sell him as he doesn’t fit the way we’ve been playing at all and as shown recently we’re actually better off without him

you can tell that dyche doesn't rate onana anymore

obviously something has happened and he will probably be the first player sold this summer

my only concern is that if we get rid of onana, gueye and gomes this summer we are extremely light in midfield and will need to sign some players but we can't afford anyone....
A McNeill-Warrington-Garner-Dobbin midfield it is then

….i’m not convinced playing mattered to him as the season progressed. Immense physicality but would not always apply himself when the team most needed. Terrific potential but I’d be concerned about his attitude if I was paying big bucks for him.

I’m sure he’ll be out the door if a reasonable offer is tabled.
He switched off because he knows he’s leaving for the first acceptable bid.

….fortunately Branthwaite didn’t. I do think Onana would’ve been looking to impress suitors but he just hasn’t stepped up.
Branthwaite will be harder to replace than Onana, that’s for sure. Having said that, if anyone knows a centreback it will be Dyche. Yes we will go from having a star to just competent but that’s really all we need as a lower mid table team right now given the wider circumstances.

At the risk of stoking the fire here as I actually quite like the lad in general...

...is it coincidence that we've suddenly gone on this winning run again (including winning a Goodison derby for the first time in absolute yonks) as soon as he's actually 'dropped' from the starting XI? and I'm not talking about being excluded as he's been injured/unwell etc. - I mean as in he's no longer a preferred starter.

It's mad but I don't think players necessarily have to show form to get a good move these days, such is the level of analysis that goes into scouting etc. Look at the likes of Havertz, Kovacic, Matheus Nunes, etc. I think Onana will get a good move regardless, probably knows there'll be bids incoming and so hasn't felt the need to step up and prove himself.

Sad, because I believe he will go on to do good things, but not in a blue shirt. If he makes us a profit, though, he has contributed to the cause, so not hate for the boy.