2023/24 Amadou Onana

I dont really like him but I get that we wont see the best of him here at Everton due to team, manager and tactics

Hopefully sell for a decent profit and preferably not to another Premier League team.

He is one of our best players by far I believe. He is by far the best passer of the ball in our squad, almost always finds an attacker and it’s not his fault that they can’t create anything with it. Our fans need to understand that he is only just turned 22, he’s young and not the finished article, he will have off periods and times were he may appear rash.

He is one of our best players by far I believe. He is by far the best passer of the ball in our squad, almost always finds an attacker and it’s not his fault that they can’t create anything with it. Our fans need to understand that he is only just turned 22, he’s young and not the finished article, he will have off periods and times were he may appear rash.
He will be fine in a team that doesnt demand that all 11 players be on it for 90minutes.

I complain a lot about certain parts of his game (tracking runners - cost countless goals). He is a real talent, and probably would have been better served getting less game time at a stronger club to develop more roundly than slogging out here. I’m not blind, just frustrated.

But at some point he has to stop being referred to as young and inexperienced. Fifty odd PL appearances, under some significant pressure. Belgian international through all age groups and now double figures for the full national team. Multiple international camps training with quality players. We want £50m+?

Either at or past the point now where it’s desire and focus during games that are the limiting factor, not age etc.

Is it weird that I think he’s absolutely bloody awful. Can’t hit a shot. Can’t pass. Should dominate games but is more bothered about waving his arms at fans. I like him but if we can get anything over 50m for him then take it all day. There’s players like John Mcginn for Villa who are out of this world in comparison.

We still lose 10% of any sale anyway. So if we do let him go we better be still in the Premiership and demand a respectable fee.
If we were a good team we could demand a substantial price.

I would rather tell them to do one tho and keep the lad..
( if money wasn't a problem that is )

That last word should be gash and he has plenty of games where he rally is gash.

The numbers tell their own story and I believe that pThe numbers tell their own story and I believe that if he was charging around the pitch as an 'all action' midfielder...(but with the same stats) he'd be loved by all.
If we were able to keep him (and Branthwaite) and receive a cash injection from new owners (incl a transfer budget) then id have him sitting as an anchor with 2 ball playing midfielders ahead of him.

Then i think we'd see what he really is...
Yes I think he would be perfect as an anchor, he hardly ever moves.

Is it weird that I think he’s absolutely bloody awful. Can’t hit a shot. Can’t pass. Should dominate games but is more bothered about waving his arms at fans. I like him but if we can get anything over 50m for him then take it all day. There’s players like John Mcginn for Villa who are out of this world in comparison.
It’s hard to dominate midfield in a team that tactically is explicitly not trying to compete in midfield

Not sure why youre bringing up an attacking midfielder to compare Onana with?

Why also mention shooting, is that a key ingredient for a defensive midfielder?

lost me at "cant pass" lol

Yes I think he would be perfect as an anchor, he hardly ever moves.

The best DMs dont really move.

Not sure why youre bringing up an attacking midfielder to compare Onana with?

Why also mention shooting, is that a key ingredient for a defensive midfielder?

lost me at "cant pass" lol

The best DMs dont really move.
Zat if the best DM’s don’t really move I know they absolutely do a lot more than Onana without really moving, at the present time the lad is an imposter of a footballer.

McGinn is a proper little goblin, but he`s massively underated ( imo )

I think Onana has huge potential but at the moment we don't see that potential being shown often enough on the pitch. When playing really well he can have a huge influence on any game.
I think that in his mind he has already left Everton and is already looking towards next season somewhere else. Even last weekend he trained on Friday and didn't play on Saturday because he was too sore. I can't say I know what his injuries are exactly but it doesn't sound like someone wanting to put his body on the line.

In any event, we are definitely making sales this summer to try to avoid the nightmare of more possible points deductions next season and Onana is one of the more sellable assets.

The lad gets paid for playing the whole the whole game, he gets paid for doing his best, it’s patently obvious he does neither, how can he when he goes missing for long periods of every game so that makes him an imposter of a footballer to me.You like him because he does good, but truly basic, things now and again.